Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

im bulding custom fiberglass sub boxes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by l3rl4n
Originally Posted by exige
can i simply ask you one question? after all the advice you were given, considering all the SL members who took the time to write posts that would inform and help you....why did you go entirely against us on the amp? we, who have used crunch amps and know they're awful...we, who have much more experience in car audio than you (not meant in a derogatory way)..and we...who took our time to help you...why did you go against every bit of advice you were given about getting a ____ty amp? this is an honest question...and i would really like an answer to it. after all the time we took to help you, the least you can do is answer this question for me.
It's his project, his money, his final choice. He does not owe you an explanation for going against your opinion. I'm sure he appreciates your input, but don't blow a fuse if he doesn't abide by it.
It is his project, but he came here asking for help and advice. If you are just going to ignore several peoples input and you know that you can only afford one thing, why even ask? It's like being told not to stare into the sun and doing it anyways
Old 12-23-2007, 04:47 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Looking good. Only complaint I have is why didnt you make them symetrical from side to side? Have the subs in the same spot across from each other?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cuz i put the speaker terminals in before i got the subs and when i got the subs the right side hit the terminal so i have to move it over some it kinda annoys me
Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so im havening trouble with tunning my amp all it has is a bass boost low pas sub sonic filter and level on the amp and a bass know on my dash and it has a protection light but when i get the bass that is loud enough that i want the protection light turns on and my lights dim and then i left it on to long and blew all the fuses on the amp. what should i have the levels at and i have a line out converter with adjustable gains on each channel it an 80 hz line out converter. so what should i have those at and was should i have my stock stereo levels and ssp at
Old 12-24-2007, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i unpluged the bass **** and it works better but now i cant set if the protection light is on and it is really hot idk if that is normal
Old 12-24-2007, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sell it on ebay while it still works.

get whatever money back out of it that you can and buy a new amp. Any of the amps that have been suggested will work well.

You get what you pay for in car audio. haha your trying to learn that the hard way.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:39 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by koteman
ok so im havening trouble with tunning my amp all it has is a bass boost low pas sub sonic filter and level on the amp and a bass know on my dash and it has a protection light but when i get the bass that is loud enough that i want the protection light turns on and my lights dim and then i left it on to long and blew all the fuses on the amp. what should i have the levels at and i have a line out converter with adjustable gains on each channel it an 80 hz line out converter. so what should i have those at and was should i have my stock stereo levels and ssp at
I dont mean to be rude. But you were forwarned about going with a cheapo amp.
It sounds like improper wiring to me tho. Either the line out converter or you have the subs wired incorrectly and you are giving the amp to low of a load. Post up how you have your subs wired. i.e- Series, parallel, series/parallel, birdged, or off 2 channels. Are the subs 2 or 4 ohms, and are they DVC.

Your amp should NEVER over heat. I am runnin three alpine amps and I have had them sit running for 3-4 hours on end at shows, touch thm and they re barely warmer than air temps. You shouldnt ever go into protect!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
It sounds like improper wiring to me tho. Either the line out converter or you have the subs wired incorrectly and you are giving the amp to low of a load. Post up how you have your subs wired. i.e- Series, parallel, series/parallel, birdged, or off 2 channels. Are the subs 2 or 4 ohms, and are they DVC.

Your amp should NEVER over heat. I am runnin three alpine amps and I have had them sit running for 3-4 hours on end at shows, touch thm and they re barely warmer than air temps. You shouldnt ever go into protect!!!
agreed! i have to literally beat the ____ out of my Kickers for hours on end to get them to be just slightly warm. an amp should never go into protect.

i must also add that it's the amp for my comps that gets warm after a while. my sub amp stays pretty much whatever temp it is outside at all times. it's running at 4 ohms and my sub isn't getting beat to death in the first place. it's just there to compliment and blend with the front stage.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hate to say it but we told you so

actually i don't hate it at all. you get what you deserve
Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i fanally bought a new amp its a JBL grand touring series 1200 @ 4 ohms and 1500 @ 2 ohms it was like 370 in town and i covered my boxes in black carpet witch looks nicer but this weekend i came up with a new box idea for my trunk and want to build it but need money for it so any one want to buy my custom boxes i made with or with out the subs in them offer some prices im even willing to sell the crunch amp LOL it still works pretty good at 4 ohmsand dosent get to hot but only 250 watts
Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not particularly the best idea in amp but better than your crutch.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

y not
Old 04-29-2008, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, whats wrong with jbl?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Well for that $370 you spent, you could have gotten yourself a Sundown SAZ1500 and you will have a smile on your face from cheek to cheek......
Old 04-29-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
Well for that $370 you spent, you could have gotten yourself a Sundown SAZ1500 and you will have a smile on your face from cheek to cheek......
very true!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

____ for 370 you could have done much better, i'm not a huge fan of JBL to begin with but mostly for that price you could have gotten a nine.5 and ran everything you would have needed
Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all i meed ed was 1000 watts 1 chanel not a 5 channel ed nine.5
Old 04-29-2008, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah but you have a lot more potential with a 5 channel, hell you could go active with that amp and not have to buy another amp at all, or an eD nine.1 for 250 or a dls a6 for 350 ish used or ..... you want me to keep going?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85
Originally Posted by Nick06tC

agreed! i have to literally beat the poop out of my Kickers for hours on end to get them to be just slightly warm. an amp should never go into protect.

i must also add that it's the amp for my comps that gets warm after a while. my sub amp stays pretty much whatever temp it is outside at all times. it's running at 4 ohms and my sub isn't getting beat to death in the first place. it's just there to compliment and blend with the front stage.
My phoenix gold 600.1 ran around 500w at 1 ohm and was always hot but never went into protect mode...idk
370 is a lot for an amp though