Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

installing component seps in tc

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default installing component seps in tc

friends, can someone tell me how can i install my componenet speakers in my tc using the stock speaker wires. i am planning to buy the speaker wire connectors and just plug it in to the factory speaker wires but the thing that i cannot figure out is if it would work since i need to run the speakers through the x-overs... also, i noticed in the stock fron speakers that if you unplug the connection of the tweeters, the round speaker wont sound... or rewiring my component speakers straight to my amp the only solution?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

The x-over for stock speakers I believe is attached to the tweeter. If you notice, the speaker wire that goes to the larger speaker actually comes out of the tweeter.

Not sure how you'd wire up speakers using that.

Easiest thing to do in your case would be to take the wire that goes into the tweeter. Run that into your component set x-over and then run your speakers out of the x-over.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

......best way to do it would be to run all new wire to you amp.......
Old 03-29-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY

yea but that would require ghetto-rigging rca's to plug into the amp if u want to use the stock deck, unless u get that adapter. and it woudl also require buying an amp
Old 03-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

LOL...yes...I completely agree....but for what he wants to do.....

Trust me...not something I'd do ;)
Old 03-29-2005, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i already installed my amp and my sub.. i am using a 4channel amp and now i am in my 2nd phase of upgrade which is to add my component seps... anyway, i made all my pre-wires earlier... im just run new wires... i was able to squeeze in my speaker wires to the rubber grommet/seal that runs from the door and the body... geesh... i tell you, its really tight...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aznJ

yea but that would require ghetto-rigging rca's to plug into the amp if u want to use the stock deck, unless u get that adapter. and it woudl also require buying an amp
ghetto-rigging rca's????? what the hell are you talking about???? I think you're referring to getting a line level converter....not ghetto, but not what i like......

there's actually no need for rca's....just get an amp with high level inputs......
Old 03-30-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aznJ

ghetto-rigging rca's????? what the hell are you talking about???? I think you're referring to getting a line level converter....not ghetto, but not what i like......

there's actually no need for rca's....just get an amp with high level inputs......

ur right, i forgot about high level inputs, that's how i have mine setup up right now
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like we have a very similar setup as I have a 5 channel amp and I also ran new speaker lines from the amp (in the trunk) to my front comps in the door. I found running the speaker line thru the grommet in the doors challenging, but nothing beat a factory look and now you can't see anything but the original grommets, which is cool. I used 'round' speaker wire (Audiobahn) which seemed to help and we used a lil WD40 which helped it slide thru.

GW,
Bmac
Old 04-01-2005, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup! that's true... nothing beats a stock look set-up... btw, how did u mount ur tweets? did u mount it on the stock tweet location and how? how about ur mid range, did u use a spacer? i just got the drill from my friend and i will we starting to work on installing my comps tomorrow.. is it easy to take out the stock front speakeRs?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup! that's true... nothing beats a stock look set-up... btw, how did u mount ur tweets? did u mount it on the stock tweet location and how? how about ur mid range, did u use a spacer? i just got the drill from my friend and i will we starting to work on installing my comps tomorrow.. is it easy to take out the stock front speakeRs?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

front speakers i thought were pretty easy to take out......drill out the 3 rivets and that's it.......the spacer ring isn't hard either.......as for the tweeter, I took off the metal bracket that holds the factory tweeter to the door then put the surface angle mounts right behind the tweeter grille.....worked out nicely....
Old 04-01-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice... when i did my pre-wires for my comps, i tried a test mount of my tweets in the stock mount, im thinking of drilling a hole in the middle of the metal bracket so i can screw in my surface mount in the middle... at first i wanted to flatten the bracket but i thought of just drilling a hole on it incase i want to put the stocks back... one more thing, is the plastic spacer attached to the speaker as one or can they be seperated? did u use the stock spacer or drilled a new hole to screw ur speaker in? sorry for all the questions but as much as possible i just dont want to drill new holes to my car... as much as i can, i want to preserve the "stockness" of my 1st car... hehehe.. hope u understand... and thanks for the replies...
Old 04-01-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the mounting bracket is molded to the factory speaker.....the only way to get them apart it to demokish your speaker......but alot of people have used this method....
Old 04-01-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wtf?!? for real??? geesh... i never thought it was like that... hmmm... if i dont use the spacer, will i be able to a speaker that requires 3" depth on it or i should really use a spacer? the stock speakers in itself is a decent one... i just dont want to trash it away... are the spacer rings that bestbuy/circuit city sells any useful at all? did u use the same hole from weher the stock mounting was at?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw, is it ok if the speaker magnet is close to a metal? will it affect the quality?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you actually have 3.3" of mounting depth before running into the window without a spacer......i'm not sure if a speaker will be affected by metal being close to the magnet or not.....
Old 04-01-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aight... thanks for the info... i appreciate it much...
Old 04-01-2005, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, just my two cents...

I would definitely recommend using a spacer (like 3/4" MDF) for the midranges. There is quite a bit of mounting depth as stated previously, but I can't think you would want to screw the mids right into the door, so you are going to be making some kind of mounting/spacer anyway since the 3 rivet/holes won't line up with anything other than the TC stock speaker bracket. It's not a very difficult process.

Tweeters were a bit trickier. I am working on getting all of my pics up soon but I will try to tell you how I did them without the pics for now. So, the stock tweeters are in place using a metal bracket as you well know. We popped the tweeters out of these brackets (you will notice that this is possible) and then my brother cut off the metal bracket's flanges that held the stock tweeter in place. Thus, we were left with a nice flat spot to mount the new tweeters on. I then tried each tweeter mounting option (my setup came with a couple) to see which one would work best. The original tweeters were 3/4" and my replacement ones were 3/4" which made for a good fit. I used the 'angle-mount' pod which allowed us to drill thru the bracket metal piece and into the 'angle-mount' plastic in two spots and then used wood screws to secure it together. When I placed the old metal brackets back into the car with the new tweeters, they were angled nicely. I might even say that they fit better than the stocks with the door panels back on. When you look into the tweeter area of the door panel, you can see quite clearly that the tweeter is flush to the panel with a small angle upwards, and you can even see the small decal for the speaker. As you can tell, i am pretty happy with the end result.

Anyways, hope that helps, and best of luck of course. My only word of advise would be to give yourself ample time and remember that if you take your time and do it right, it will be something you will be enjoying for a long time.

-B
Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Easiest way to do tweeters. Just pop the stock one off the bracket, then use some strong adhesive and stick your new one to the bracket. Not the most professional installation, but VERY easy and clean.

Quick Reply: installing component seps in tc