Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

installing security + remote, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 PM
SL Member

Default installing security + remote, have questions

well i have an 08 tc scion M/T. i will be purchasing the DEI python 990 alarm/remote/turbo timer.

my wuestion is has anyone figoure out clutch over ride? i know i need the key bypass module for fuel pumps to start, but my intuition is that the clutch has a signal somewhere (it must because when u hit the clutch it disables cruise control)

can anyone tell me what ill need to do to bypass the clutch?

also what happens if its left in gear and i go to start it... will it die or take off going down the road?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wut you need to do is get a relay and get power to pin 86 and ground to pin 85 and take pin 30 and put it to one wire on the clutch connector and pin 87 to the other wire on the clutch connector, plus you are going to need two more relays for the 2nd ignition wire and 2nd starter wire, both those wires need to see 12V when you go ahead and try to remote start the car if there is no power to those wires then there is no remote starting the car.

Also, when you leave it in gear and remote start it will jump forward then shut off then try and start again until it starts or you shut it off from the remote. So I highly suggest you either do a magnetic switch for neutral safety or just never ever put it in gear when you want to remote start the car.

If you have no experience installing a remote start with alarm and using relays I suggest you do not attempt this install cause you can seriously hurt yourself or others if it is not installed properly.

Thats just my .02 on that matter!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:28 AM
SL Member

i have a good friend who is very intuitive to car electronics and hes done alot of his own work and im impressed

i also have my dad to fall back on whos been intsalling alarms since the 80's. so i figure between my dad, friend, and me, we can pull this off in an afternoon.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ok, well good luck with it.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 AM
SL Member

yeah thanks. and thanks for the info
Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you may not need three relays becuase the viper 5900 that I just installed had a 2nd ignition/accessory line already built into the remote start satellite. I just had to add one relay for the second starter.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well I just posted the info for him to know what he needs in case the alarm didn't have all the required relays already on the main harness.

waterhurley -you are welcome!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Phlame217
you may not need three relays becuase the viper 5900 that I just installed had a 2nd ignition/accessory line already built into the remote start satellite. I just had to add one relay for the second starter.
i just ordered the viper 5900. how do you like it? happy? i paied 225 brand new in the box. my buddy will install it for 100.

you say the 5900 has everything for clutch bypass relays? what about key bypass module? i have my valet key
Old 05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

dude order the XK05 there is no key required just to program it you need 1 key, you will not lose a key at all. I have it in my car and I still have all my keys
Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No youll need a relay or switch for the clutch too. The clutch is a _____ to get to as is the wire for the tachometer.

My advice: Trace the wire bundle up into the fuse box area for the tachometer and its a black wire and shave off the wire coating and solder the violet remote start tachometer wire to it. T-Taps dont work on it too well.

As for the clutch, similar story. Ttaps never got a solid connection so I was barely able to get both hands up there to shave part of the wires off on each side and solder two wires to them. Real PITA!

Its worth it though becuase i never have issues with the clutch bypass being intermittent or the brain losing tachometer signal causing you to have to reprogram it...
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

yeah, xk05 for sheezy.

Make sure your dad is up to date on his skills, alarms are A LOT different today than they were in the 80's, especially with a clutch bypass and immobilizer systems. Good luck, I'd be happy to answer whatever questions you have along the way.

I would definately install a neutral safety switch too, that way if you have someone work on your car, oil change, valet, what have you... You can totally disable the remote start feature.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
SL Member

ok i actually started a new thread by accident forgetting about this one but i have a question. im 90% done. i just need to do my door locks, and clutch. if i cut the plug at the clutch switch and just solder the 2 wires together, will i loose cruise control? ive serached and gotten conflicting answers....

because honestly the brake signal got t-taps because its such a pain. and i cant get slack on the clutch switch. therefore im looking for the easy route.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

yeah the brake wire is a beezy. Honestly don't just solder the wires of the clutch together. I dunno about losing cruise, but use a relay...

Make sure you get the right wires too, the clutch has 2 harnesses goin to it. Use a multimeter to test wires.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:05 PM
SL Member

i fought with it for 20 mins. no relay was going on that. i soldered the 2 wires together and threw some heatshrink aorund it. crusie still works. i believe the switch behind the pedal is start switch, and the other has something to do with cruise. or atleast thats what i got from metering.

im the only one who touches my car, and when i hand it off for service, i will be disabling RS and alarm anyway.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The top switch controls the cruise, the one lowest to the floor board is for starting purpose only. I kept it intact by just soldering two wires into the back of the plug contacts. As for brake wire, the wire is thick enough to get a solid connection with an 18-22 gauge wire tap and thats worked for me. For the door locks, its pretty straight forward.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Phlame217
The top switch controls the cruise, the one lowest to the floor board is for starting purpose only. I kept it intact by just soldering two wires into the back of the plug contacts. As for brake wire, the wire is thick enough to get a solid connection with an 18-22 gauge wire tap and thats worked for me. For the door locks, its pretty straight forward.
i was able to get a t-tap in for the brakes. i hate using them though. i feel so cheap. lol

damn, didnt think about soldering a piece of wire to the back of the clutch plug. i just cut the plug and left enough wire to re connect it if ever needed.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what did u end up doing i remember i just made a magnet to sense that the clutch was in neutral to ground the alarm to allow it to start and as well as grounding the clutch switch for a 96 prelude, what would u do about the immobilizer system like the key chip, was it hard to find wires? thanks!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tkevin07
so what did u end up doing i remember i just made a magnet to sense that the clutch was in neutral to ground the alarm to allow it to start and as well as grounding the clutch switch for a 96 prelude, what would u do about the immobilizer system like the key chip, was it hard to find wires? thanks!
the clutch switch is an engine kill keature to the car and you dont need to hook up anything from the alarm if you just solder the wires together. unless your using a relay so you keep your clutch start switch. i personally didnt care and now dont need clutch to start the car at all.

as far as imobilizer, the wires are at the ECU behind the glovebox. if you feel confident enough to cut wires from your ecu (well 1 wire) then your fine. dont cut the wrong one or ur car wont start
Old 06-05-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so can u take pics of which wire it is I dnt understand it when people say top harness no. 5 wire. lol ill paypal u 3 bucks =D
Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tkevin07
so can u take pics of which wire it is I dnt understand it when people say top harness no. 5 wire. lol ill paypal u 3 bucks =D
its not the top harness. it the 2nd from the top. theres 4 plugs going to the ECU. then 2nd from top, its a gray and purple wire. id get a pic but its usless now becasue of my mazzive aomunts of electrical tape.

if uve never installed before i dont reccomend a scion being your first. they are crazzzy compared to my buddies ford explorer which i did.

Quick Reply: installing security + remote, have questions