Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Interior Suede Panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

How does it feel? Like i dont want that cheap feeling to it. If you get what im saying.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Feels pretty dang sweet. I like running my hand across it. It definitely has that stock black interior beat by far.

And when you want to go back to stock...don't, just buy black suede FTMFW
Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Old 04-15-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Very nice. I want to get black suede for my headliner, and a color that is similar to my grey suede on my clazzios for my door panels.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I wanted to do the same thing. I was going to wait on the headliner though.

I did want a suede that would match the grey on my clazzio's but as you can tell it's off a little or a lot depending on how you think of it.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
I wanted to do the same thing. I was going to wait on the headliner though.

I did want a suede that would match the grey on my clazzio's but as you can tell it's off a little or a lot depending on how you think of it.
it always depends on the lighting on the shade of color lol.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Ok so I will most likey get the SEARCH button comment.. but after reading all the comments here I have a couple of Questions.

1. Once you pull off the exhisting fabric from the pillars, headliner etc. is there any kind of prep work to do prior to laying fresh fabric??

2. Is doing the center portion of the mid panels {rear seat cup holder area} the same as doing the front doors as far as having to drill out or grind down the plastic welds??
Old 04-20-2009, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

good question.

The pillars are very easy to strip down,the grey material comes right off,on like 05s the back piece is jsut grey plastic so it just needs rubbed with alcohol to clean off any waxes.

Headliner material does not really come off on 1st gen xBs it does with thinner and a rag but on tC no real need to do all that as ther is no large surface areas.

for the door and back panels there are a few screws and some plastic welds,the plastic welds just need ground off with dremel or what have you,once ready to reinstall jsut hot glue,epoxy,or plastic weld.

Justa heads up on the headliner........it is very very hard to do,and micro suede does not stretch very well so take your time doing it and do littel areas at a time.

Material costs are high,and screwing up a piece like I did on my hatch cost me about $55 in materials to redo.....I got a big wrinkle the first attempt that I could not get out....due to over stretching material.

The doors and rear panels are easy to do,the pillars are easy,headliner is hard.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Thanks for the heads up Bzinn, and everyone else.. I picked up 3 yards of black micro fiber today for about $20, gotta love outlet stores. I got 3M spray glue etc. and I am going to do my A pillars tonight or tomorrow to kinda learn the ropes on. I have an off beat question. The place I hit was one of those wharehouses that is like 200 yards by 200 yards and nothing but isle after isle of fabric of every kind. I found some cotton based stuff that I want to use for my headliner. Since its not as heavy as the micro, should I leave on the factory material and just work over it?? or find some kind of backing foam in black??
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good thread. im gunna do black suede pillars and headliner, then silver carbon fiber in the panel inserts. just need money and time
Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'm actually doing mine again.

I bought more suede, not microsuede this time. Hopefully, it is a closer gray than what I bought originally. I also have black on the way so if the gray fails to meet my expectations then i'm going with gray.

Does anyone know the best glue to use? I have tried the 3M General Trim Adhesive....needless to say.....FAIL! So now i'm thinking maybe 3M Super 77 Multipurpose maybe.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shift_N_Red
Thanks for the heads up Bzinn, and everyone else.. I picked up 3 yards of black micro fiber today for about $20, gotta love outlet stores. I got 3M spray glue etc. and I am going to do my A pillars tonight or tomorrow to kinda learn the ropes on. I have an off beat question. The place I hit was one of those wharehouses that is like 200 yards by 200 yards and nothing but isle after isle of fabric of every kind. I found some cotton based stuff that I want to use for my headliner. Since its not as heavy as the micro, should I leave on the factory material and just work over it?? or find some kind of backing foam in black??
just go over the headliner,no backer foam,as it will make it harder to work with.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

so you removed all the original fabrics except for the headliner?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yep........gettign the headliner cloth off is a nightmare to do as it is heatpressed into shape and not wrapped like the pillars.....it is part of the headliner.......so just apply over it.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

so... i shouldn't use micro suede? I have a choice of Alova Suede or Upholstery Micro Suede. Which one to get. What is alova suede o_o LOL

I want to do my Headliners + all the white pillars (A B C) black or gray, how many yards should i get

and I want to do my door panels, rear panels, arm rest, and that black part of the hatch (where you change your license bulbs) blue, how many yards should I get.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

ok... so Im Fing up.. I stripped the A pillars and I cant get the suede to set on there without getting little ripples either at the top or the bottom.... Any ideas on how to keep that from happening??

I have tried to RE-creat the cuts that I saw on the grey stock material as close as possible.. but its just not wanting to set right...

HELP!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Im bumping this. I need to know what type of suede to buy. I dont want it to ever fade. So either real suede, alcantara or anything else... im at a loss picking out what kind.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I used micro suede........real suede will fade and you will never get it installed,alcanthra is good to do but spendy.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
SL Member

what bout working with leather?? i see everyone does suede?? but why??
Old 05-16-2009, 08:43 PM
SL Member

anyone???

Quick Reply: Interior Suede Panels