Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPod > Installing into a Scion

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default iPod > Installing into a Scion

Many members have asked about their iPod options, so here is the information that has been dicussed so far...

What are the options for connecting an iPod to the tC's stereo? I've heard of icelink and the alpine system, anyone have any experience with these? any pros and cons? i'd really like to be able to see the id3 tag for the mp3 (song, artist, album info) on the stereo display, are there any systems out there that will let me do this?
An Alpine radio with the Ipod adapter is the only option available if you want to see the info on the radio. It's a really cool idea, but its extremely slow to navigate folders using the radio controls, if you have a large mp3 collection it would take a long time to get to artists farther down the alphabet. But if you like to use playlists it's great.
I use an AUX-POD - while there is no info display, you can use the headunit to change tracks/ff/rw on the IPOD. I think the new Monster Cable system shows ID3 info on certain headunits - not sure when it is coming out.
Monster's iCruze comes out 1/1/2005---can't wait! Retails at $199 and from what I understand it connects to the AUX or Satellite radio input on most factory stereos...I read somewhere that it's fully compatible with the tC's receiver.
http://www.monstercable.com/icruze
http://www.monstercable.com/press/pr..._11_icruze.asp
I'm looking for the same and the iCruze looks great but my problem is compounded by the fact that i want to be able to hook my XM kit into the receiver too. Anyone know if i could be able to splice/adapter a PIE adapter with the icruze? or if the iCruze has an aux port? Outside of my XM problems the icruze is the perfect solution for me
i signed up for more info on the icruze but they told me that it was not compatable with the scion's reciever and that they would send me an email when it was available.
The thing about iCruze that I don't like is you can only access your music through playlists. You cannot access your entire music library, unless of course you create a playlist of your entire library and scroll through it. I would like to just control through the iPod, so ya, I think I'm gonna go with the Icelink, comes with a dock too, which is handy.
Check out the SiK imp. It's a dock connector that breaks out into a power plug and a 1/8" stereo plug. If you prefer to control the iPod on the iPod, this is a cool solution, providing power and a nice line-level audio output. I won't have my tC for another week or so, so I can't comment on exactly how you'd connect the audio signal to the head unit.

http://www.sik.com/

Right now in my Civic I have a 2G iPod (with a normal firewire port). I use a Monster power adapter along with a 1/8"-to-RCA cord hooked into the back of my Alpine deck. I was planning on getting the new Alpine interface until I heard how much it sucks. Now I'm waiting to see how Clarion and Pioneer's upcoming iPod interfaces turn out to decide how to set up my tC.

On these forums I've seen mentioned a wire harness/adapter that can be obtained from the dealer that is needed to hook up and extra audio source... Is this just an adapter between a satellite radio input to some RCA inputs or something?
If controlling the iPod through the radio isn't a big deal (and really, what IS the big deal about that?), IMO the best solution is the PIE TOY03-AUX kits. It plugs into the 6 CD changer port on the back of the radio and gives you RCA outs. From there it's trivial to find a cable that does RCA to headphone jack. The PIE runs from $60-$80 online and the RCA cable is about $15.

Sure, it doesn't have a cool name like iCruze but you don't have to give any money to the thieves at Monster. They're a disreputable, overpriced, and overhyped company. Gold cables my ___. Just go to any reputable audio website and ask about Monster on the forums.

And oh yeah the PIE will save you $120-$140.
The Sik imp gets it's line-out through the dock connector. It's only $30, so if controlling the iPod with the head unit is not a big deal to you, you can save about $100 versus the icelink or Aux-pod. (You would still need a PIE TOY03-AUX to get line-in into the stock deck.) The line-out it provides is of higher quality than the headphone jack and has fixed volume.

Personally, I'm going to keep my 2G iPod running into the stock deck through RCAs until someone brings out a good iPod-compatible head unit that displays tags. Like the Alpine solution only good. Then I'll replace my head unit and my iPod.
Looks like the name of the AUX-POD has been changed to IPOD2CAR. Nothing like creating customer confusion to help drive sales! Here is the manufacturer's website:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/aai.htm

Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the IPOD2CAR. It never states yes or no as to whether you can still control with the iPod. Their phone number is on that page, you could call them and find out.

It does look like a cool solution, if I had a 3G or newer 'Pod I would probably get it.
iPod2car, Aux-pod, and Neo iOn are all the same thing. They might be made by different people but they are the same thing with the same capablities.

icelink and icruze are nearly identical (capability wise)
Old 01-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I haven't read a review of the AUX POD, but it sounds very promising. But yeah, the $200ish price tag is a little steep. Your best bet is to get an Auxiliary converter. http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxtoy.html along with another dock or something... Press CD on the stock HU and it'll go into CD AUX and voila!
http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch..._Code=IA_Scion
Ive been searching and searching for a way to hook my iPod to the Scion and it appears this works?
ok heres the story i bought one of those from soundgate about 2 months ago and they said it would work for toyota/scion so i installed and it did not work so i called soundgate and they thought the scion radio/hu was the same as toyota but it is not the same scion uses a pioneer hu while toyota is different so soundgate bought my stock hu for 200 bucks and said the kit would be recalled and sold at alater date so i doubt any work right now if i were you just buy a hu with a aux port thats what i did
I would recommend the Griffin Technology iTrip. Check it out... wireless.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/
I've got one and it works great.
We have like 45 iPod threads per week, so why not make a catch-all iPod thread.

First, you might want to check out the iPodlounge in-car solutions forum: http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/for...3d0&forumid=44 as there's a lot of valuable information there.

As for your options, you can stick with the stock headunit or get an aftermarket one.

If you're going to stick with stock, you have 2 options: an input adapter or an fm transmitter. Input adapters, like the PIE Aux thing (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pietoy03aux.html) plug into the back of your headunit. They're better sounding than fm transmitters, but cost more. FM transmitters like the griffin iTrip (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=T7194LL/A )don't sound great, but they're cheaper.

Aftermarket head units vary widely in price, quality, and ipod connectivity. Alpine makes a BMW-style system wherein you can control the iPod from the head unit.

Post up your iPod related questions here, and Scionlife's resident technicians should be able to help you.
The Scion TC does have an Aux input behind the radio. I have a Siruis tuner connected to it via a PIE adapter. All I have to do is push the CD button to listen to Sirus wuthout any nasty RF package. Works like a charm. This would work with any audio source including IPOD.
has anyone purchased the
NEO ION, http://neocaraudio.com, for the scion xa/xb/tc single cd stock radio? when i called the neo ion tech support they told me once the neo ion is connected that the "CD" button on the radio should allow you to toggle between the cd player and the ipod. I was wondering if anyone can verify that toggling from first hand knowledge. hit me up, thanks
I have the PAC Aux-Pod that is basically the same thing. It works great on the Scion radio as well as the Camry Nav I have in my XB. You can change tracks and fwd and rwd. It will also pause when you change source and charge when off.
LMK if you need one or any other info.
Also check out http://www.pac-audio.com for more info.
I just connected my neo ion adapter to my 05 scion tc. it was easy.
step:
1) must have a 3rd,4th gen or mini ipod
2) purchase your neo ion adapter. i got mine from mp3yourcar.com for $189.
2) purchase Toyota harness #08695-00370 from any toyota dealer. i paid $17.
3) stereo removal
1- pull up on the plastic part of the console that surrounds the shift ****. it's a little tough, just grab with both hand both sides of the plastic and just pull up slowly.
2- once you get that out just look for two screws just under the untouched portion of the console.
3- after you take those screws out, you can pull the upper portion of the console out.
4-getting to the back of the radio requires you to remove two screws that are right below the radio unit and the two bolts that connect the radio's frame to the car. The bolts are located in the upper far corners.
4) for connecting the ipod and adapter, just follow all the directions on mp3yourcar.com
-ipod connects to adapter
-adapter connects to large plug on harness
-small plug on harness plugs into back of radio where a cd changer would go (the harness also has an extra input like the one on the back radio. this won't connect to anything)
*i did not disconnect the battery while doing this and there were no problems*
5) use the "Disc" button to toggle between the in-dash single cd player and the ipod

NOTE: when the ipod is selected, while no music playing, there is a slightly audible interference. I called neo ion and was told that interference seemed to occur in some cars and that they will be sending, in about two weeks, all costumers with the various cars, a filter, free of charge, to attach to the adapter, which would eliminate the noise and truly give CD quality sound
Old 01-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by neckbonenick
I have the Pioneer Premier 860mp and installed the rb-10 aux input and then converted the rca input to a mini headphone jack just below the cd player.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

interesting....although I dont know if I'd want a cord coming down out the front....I have a Pioneer DEH-p7500 and I have an RP Bus cable running under the carpet to my XM tuner under the Passenger seat and then I have an IP Bus to RCA Female adapter plugged into that...then I run Stereo-Mini to RCA to plug in my iPod or portable DVD player. I eventually wanna put a dock on the outside(towards the front of the car) of my cup holder...but one step at a time...

~wC
Old 01-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by fox_box
I just got my 2005 xB in Blue Onyx Pearl; a great ride and lots of fun bumping down the freeway!

The only thing that's missing is real iPod and XM integration into the stereo. (I wasn't willing to pay $699 for the 'privilege' of a substandard XM unit, thankyouverymuch.)

I currently have a first-generation iPod I hook up to my old car's head unit (which has an 1/8" stereo input). I'm going to do the same kind of setup (but using RCA instead) at first, but my Master Plan is to get a 2004 Alpine head unit that'll be compatible with the sweet iPod->Alpine Ai-NET head unit hookup coming out late September; then I'll get a fresh new 4th-generation iPod to go with it!

Also, I use my Bluetooth phone (a Sony Ericsson Z600) in the car all the time with a headset, but I'd much prefer my phone to be fully hooked-in with my stereo, to mute the music and route the phone over the speakers whenever a call comes in.

Here's my three-phase plan to add XM, iPod, and Bluetooth to my sweet xB. I'm not making any speaker/amp/subwoofer upgrade plans yet, but I want to hear everyone's critiques and comments on these head unit and other choices!

My remaining unsolved questions:

1) Will the CDA-9820XM unit play well with the KCA-420i Ai-NET adapter for the iPod? It looks compatible, but there's no real way to know until the iPod adapter comes out.

2) Is it okay to order an Alpine head unit online from a non-authorized retailer? Crutchfield has them for $100 more than everyone else, but they're just about the only authorized retailer that has the CDA-9820XM online.

-=-=-=- PHASE ONE -=-=-=-

1) Head unit: Alpine CDA-9820XM (CD and AM/FM radio with XM tuner built-in, just add an antenna)
* $268--$340

2) XM antenna: Terk XMICRO
* $27.99--$49.99

3) Dash kit and wiring harness: Scosche SCN2056 and Scosche TA02
* SCN2056 $13.95
* TA02 $6.95

4) Ai-NET RCA adapter (male Ai-NET to female RCA) KCA-121B (to hook up my current 1st gen iPod until Phase 2)
* $19.99

Phase 1 subtotal: $336

-=-=-=- PHASE TWO -=-=-=-

5) Ai-NET iPod adapter KCA-420i
* $100, release "late September"

6) New iPod 20G
* $299

Phase 2 subtotal: $399

Total Phase 1 + 2: $735

-=-=-=- PHASE THREE -=-=-=-

7) Bluetooth car kit: Sony Ericsson HCB-300 (to be released in September)
* $199

Total Phase 1 + 2 + 3: $934
Check out this site. It makes it possible to hook up and control an ipod with any radio.

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT
I've been thinking the exact same thing. But am holding off to research some carputer options.

Take a look at this site and read the forums.
http://www.mp3car.com

The ultimate goal would be:
A touch screen LCD with computer.
wireless internet to connect with home network
Switching controls for rearview camera
GPS
Bluetooth intergration for GPS receiver and cell phone.

The results would be.
iPod: wouldn't need the physical iPod---the iPod would sync via firewire to load to the carputer HD to be played with iTunes)

Bluetooth: Stock bluetooth devices like a pocket PC or the new Bluetooth GSP receivers. Just store the GPS receiver until needed, put it on dash it connects with carputer via bluetooth.

Cell phone: Bluetooth would display Caller ID on LCD, allow to take calls, interrupt music playback and store Caller ID to my Contacts in outlook which would sync to a bluetooth phone.

PDA (pocket PC): Bluetooth would synch Outlook contacts to both cell phone, and maybe one day to the iPod contacts list.

Wireless: Just park next to a access point and you're on the net or use your bluetooth phone for internet connections.

These guys are working on opensource software for this kind of thing.
http://www.mediaengine.org/index.php?downloads
From the forums it appears to be one of the more popular apps, so it has better support from forums.
That software handles some of the more tricky intergration and gives you a car friendly interface.

There's a hook in the interface to run external applications, but you could customize buttons since it's visual basic.
Basicaly you'd have a Windows XP machine with HD, bluetooth, and wireless in your car. So anything you can do at home would be available in your car.

Lots of posibilities, lots of details, lots of research.
Over the past few months, the FoxBox has been upgraded to the Alpine CDA-9820XM head unit, and I just finished Phase II -- the KCA-420i iPod adapter!

More images available on my Scion xB gallery. Check 'em out and let me know what you all think!

http://foxden.org/gallery/scion

The CDA-9820XM was really easy to install; I got a Terk XMICRO antenna and put it on the back right corner of the roof, and ran the coax cable under the seal of the back hatch door, under the cargo compartment, and then under the plastic cover over the passenger-side doors.

The KCA-420i was a bit more fun. I decided to drill a hole in the back of the compartment with the swing door under where the original radio was, and I fed the KCA-420i's iPod cable through that, behind the glove box, and under the plastic molding covering the passenger side door. I put the (very small) 420i's box under the passenger seat, then threaded the second cable that plugged into the Ai-NET jack on the back of the CDA-9820XM. No problem!

Overall, sound quality is awesome. I love having iPod, XM, FM/AM, and CD capability all in one unit -- it absolutely rocks! Unfortunately, the interface for the iPod is pretty much a slim layer on top of the Alpine CD changer interface, so scrolling through playlists, artists, or albums is SLO-O-O-O-W. Like, half a second per item. Thankfully, it's easy enough to select a playlist and put it on random, which is the majority of what I listen to on my iPod in the car. Still, we have a long way to go.

Soon, I'll finish Phase 3 (the Bluetooth car kit) and my stereo adventure will be complete! Well, for now, anyway...
Old 01-07-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://news.com.com/Car+adapters+kee...j=news.1041.20
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member

So, I have the pioneer 6CD indash factory unit. Am I just screwed for direct line input? Every FM transmitter I've tried completely sucks. Monster Cable's initial press release said satellite input, but now it says CD Changer, and as has been said before, the Scion isn't supported.

Has anyone found a line input option for the satellite connection?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I talked to a Monster rep at CES and he indicated to keep an eye out because they are always adding cars and with how hot the Scion is he said it would just be a matter of time...however I saw at the Pioneer Booth at CES an IP bus controller that displayed titles and gave you complere control over the iPod from any Pioneer H/U that supports IP Bus(so anything since 1995) one word SWEEET...I took a picture but left my CF card reader at home(accross the country right now but a trip to Best Buy tomorrow should remedy that...

~wC
Old 01-08-2005, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I think the IP Bus on the Scion head unit is different from the ones on the aftermarket Pioneer systems. I remember someone saying that when others wondered if the regular Pioneer XM radio module would work with our headunits...which don't.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yes I know...the connector on the back of the stock h/u are a proprietary connector just for our headunits...I was talking about those of us with aftermarket Pioneer units...

~wC
Old 01-08-2005, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I got the pioneer AvicN1 do i just need an Aux cable to plug into my brain unit to play my ipod? Seems way too easy to just be that after reading this thread :?
Old 01-09-2005, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the kit should include everything you need(power, IP Bus cable, box, iPod cable) and will give you control over your iPod from your AVIC...

~wC
Old 01-09-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Wheel See
the kit should include everything you need(power, IP Bus cable, box, iPod cable) and will give you control over your iPod from your AVIC...

~wC
What kit are you talking about...i was just talking about getting a regular Aux cable and plugging it in as if you were gonna do it to a home stereo.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You could definately do that...but I mean if you've spent AVIC Money then you probaly would want more than just an input you would want full control as well as track/artist/album information

That is the Pioneer Add-On Kit....

there is some pics for the iCruize system by Monster(Not yet available for the Scion stock system(and won't work for those of us with the stock in-dash six disc))

I have more pics from CES(not tooo many but some) in my photobucket...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v167/w...ES%2001-06-05/

~wC
Old 01-09-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow both of those systems look pretty sick. I was wondering if you knew when the pioneer system was gonna be available...looks like it aint gonna be cheap but who cares...sacrafice for quality!!! :twisted:
Old 01-09-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it is expected to ship in March and MSRP for 130...

I'm excited for it....

~wC
Old 01-09-2005, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use the A/V inputs on the brain of the AVIC N1 to connect my mp3 player...the RCA to 1/8 in minijack cable is about 8 bucks at Radio Shack. The sound is excellent, but as you know you can't control the ipod from the head unit.

For me it is the right way to go because I have a 12 disc changer hooked up to the IP bus connector.

The companies that are selling those fm modulators should be sued for fraud. Terrible.

--Matt
Old 01-09-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the iPod adapter has an extra IP Bus connector so you can also hook up a CD Changer or in my case an XM radio Adapter. I talked about how many devices you can daisy chain on the IP Bus and the Pioneer rep said that would it be limitless....

the 6 Disc CD changer should have a pass through for an additional IP Bus device...

~wC
Old 01-09-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Wheel See
it is expected to ship in March and MSRP for 130...

I'm excited for it....

~wC
Wow thats a lot cheaper than I expected :o ...thanks for the info and keep up the good work!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

For those of us wishing to keep things stock...

Originally Posted by From Steve Jobs Macworld Keynote
Mercedes Benz, Nissan, Volvo and Scion will be introducing iPod adapters for their factory-installed auto stereos in 2005. Alfa Romeo and Ferrari will be doing so as well. Mercedes is an exhibitor at this year's show, and is showing its SLK and CLS models with iPod controls.

~wC

Quick Reply: iPod > Installing into a Scion