Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPod > Installing into a Scion

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

neo's unit works great
(link down below)

Neo iON
The Neo iON is a revolutionary new iPod car kit that connects directly to OEM car stereos.

The Neo iON provides direct connection to most factory and aftermarket car stereos. When connected your car stereo buttons will control the iPod, the iPod battery will charge, and the sound will play from your car stereo speakers. This is the best iPod Car Kit available on the market.

Features

Compatible with iPod 3rd Generation, 4th Generation, and iPod Mini.

Works with most vehicles – plugs directly into the CD changer port.

The adapter includes a 11.5' (3.5M) cable that plugs directly into the iPod. The other side of this cable plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the car stereo – there is no FM modulation.

Once the cable is plugged in your car will charge and power your iPod, as well as control it (Next/Previous track, FF/RW) using your car stereos existing buttons (steering wheel controls if you have them).

Who Else Does This?
BMW is currently the only car dealership offering a solution similar to ours. It can be found in your local dealership for $149 + $150 installation (required). Check out their website for more information.

Unlike the BMW adapter our unit does not disable the display and buttons on the iPod itself, you will continue to see the artist and song information and have full control over your iPod using its buttons.

If you have any other vehicle, or would like a cheaper more functional solution for your BMW vehicle then please browse our site.

http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html
Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My bag.
I should have read further down in the posts. This really is the best way and use the factory head unit.

Quote:
I just connected my neo ion adapter to my 05 scion tc. it was easy.
step:
1) must have a 3rd,4th gen or mini ipod
2) purchase your neo ion adapter. i got mine from mp3yourcar.com for $189.
2) purchase Toyota harness #08695-00370 from any toyota dealer. i paid $17.
3) stereo removal
1- pull up on the plastic part of the console that surrounds the shift ****. it's a little tough, just grab with both hand both sides of the plastic and just pull up slowly.
2- once you get that out just look for two screws just under the untouched portion of the console.
3- after you take those screws out, you can pull the upper portion of the console out.
4-getting to the back of the radio requires you to remove two screws that are right below the radio unit and the two bolts that connect the radio's frame to the car. The bolts are located in the upper far corners.
4) for connecting the ipod and adapter, just follow all the directions on mp3yourcar.com
-ipod connects to adapter
-adapter connects to large plug on harness
-small plug on harness plugs into back of radio where a cd changer would go (the harness also has an extra input like the one on the back radio. this won't connect to anything)
*i did not disconnect the battery while doing this and there were no problems*
5) use the "Disc" button to toggle between the in-dash single cd player and the ipod

NOTE: when the ipod is selected, while no music playing, there is a slightly audible interference. I called neo ion and was told that interference seemed to occur in some cars and that they will be sending, in about two weeks, all costumers with the various cars, a filter, free of charge, to attach to the adapter, which would eliminate the noise and truly give CD quality sound
Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Here's an old interview I found with Jim Farley, right after Scion was released. About halfway down the page he mentions they're working on iPod compatability with the OEM stereos.

Then again, this interview is from 2003 and he also mentions that they're working on forced induction for the xA and xB and we know how that's coming along.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote"From Scion Live Chat"]Moe: Hi Wheel See
Moe: How may I help you today?
Wheel See: Apple CEO Steve Jobs in his Macworld Keynote this morning mentioned an OEM iPod Solution any word on price or availability?
Wheel See: for Scion
Wheel See: similar to the BMW Solution that is out there
Moe: Sorry you may want to contact him for that information[/quote]

helpful as always that Scion LiveChat is...

~wC
Old 01-17-2005, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Wheel See
the iPod adapter has an extra IP Bus connector so you can also hook up a CD Changer or in my case an XM radio Adapter. I talked about how many devices you can daisy chain on the IP Bus and the Pioneer rep said that would it be limitless....

the 6 Disc CD changer should have a pass through for an additional IP Bus device...

~wC
If anyone is wondering if it is possible to hook up an auxilary input source (such as the IPOD/ Roady/ect. to a STOCK pioneer system you can do it like I did on my XA- I don't know if its the same unit as the XB but probably is: Go to: http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/pietoy03aux.html ($75 shipped)

Ryan from Burbank Circuit City did the workhe has an XB-great instal job too with sub amp and alarm also). We didn't think it was going to work because there is a mystery output plug that must go to the cd changer or xm unit or something. I just pluged my Roady 2 into a miniplug to rca "Y" adapter from radio shack into the PIE Toy03-aux. and then the small plug into the back of the stock head unit and then realized you have to press the CD button twice to activate the Aux source. I ran the miniplug wire underneath the easybake oven area/ sunglasses holder. This is probably a very lowtech way to approach the aux input solutionbut it worked for me!

If you want to hook up multiple devices/ipod + xbox/more than one aux device at the same time you could use the following parts:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=548
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=612
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=164
The AUX3 is essential because it will allow three auxiliary inputs to the radio, you select the inputs by pressing the "CD" Changer button on the radio-- to toggle between the ipod and the Roady, simply use the switch included with the AUX3.
This, according to Bay Coban at Discount Car Stereo, is the best solution for adding one or more auxiliary inputs to a factory system.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my quote was actually talking about adding an iPod into the aftermarket Pioneer system....

~wC
Old 01-18-2005, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Wheel See
my quote was actually talking about adding an iPod into the aftermarket Pioneer system....

~wC
wasn't sure if any of the information was applicable to the wireharness question :oops:
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member

And of course, Scion and Apple have now teamed up to offer the ultimate solution. More info to come.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sowden
And of course, Scion and Apple have now teamed up to offer the ultimate solution. More info to come.
where's the more info??
Old 02-16-2005, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member

does the stock single cd player have a cd changer input at the back??? thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

What tools are needed to install the Neo Ion into a Scion tC? Help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by haakonsen
Bump
And would this work for an RCA input:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hXHehp2...0CDRB10&o=&a=0
Old 04-06-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an old radio in my car. Well its an old Sony model which came out sometime in 2002. Is there any way I can connect my IPOD to it? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by TCAV8R
Originally Posted by haakonsen
Bump
And would this work for an RCA input:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hXHehp2...0CDRB10&o=&a=0
bump. anyone know?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Ok,
Just ordered this part.
http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/pietoy03aux.html

It is supposed to work from someone else I spoke with here and from contact from the seller. Now, anyone have a DIY to get the HU out? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionfiend
I have an old radio in my car. Well its an old Sony model which came out sometime in 2002. Is there any way I can connect my IPOD to it? Thanks!
Anybody?
Old 04-15-2005, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member

Has anybody tried this to hook up an IPOD or MP3 to their factory deck?

USASpec DF-TOY 1998-05 Toyota/Isuzu/Honda/Scion Auxiliary Input Adapter

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=705

Thanks for any reports.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i read that you cant use it if you dont have the 6 disc changer controls. that was implied of course, but the point still stands. if you only have the single disc, then what?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Click on the link I posted above. I have this in my tC with the single disc stock HU. It works.
The trick is to push the disc selection button twice. You can do this even w/o the unit hooked up and if you have a disc in the HU it will not play but you will see a different read out on the HU. Just try it out. Then push disc again and your cd will play.
It works! I play my Rio Karma all the time in my tC. The line level is lower but I turn the volume up and it sounds great. Very easy install too.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCAV8R
Click on the link I posted above. I have this in my tC with the single disc stock HU. It works.
The trick is to push the disc selection button twice. You can do this even w/o the unit hooked up and if you have a disc in the HU it will not play but you will see a different read out on the HU. Just try it out. Then push disc again and your cd will play.
It works! I play my Rio Karma all the time in my tC. The line level is lower but I turn the volume up and it sounds great. Very easy install too.
thank you. that definitely clarifies it. i had looked on the dcs website, but thought this item only applied to cars with 6disc untis already in them.-thanks.

Quick Reply: iPod > Installing into a Scion