Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPod PocketDock line out alternative? RCA-POD

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member

Default iPod PocketDock line out alternative? RCA-POD

**I realize this is an iPod related question, yet I wanted to make this its own thread, instead of placing it in the iPod sticky. This way, if the question does get answered, I figure it'll be easier for others to see and find.

My question relates to the RCA-POD, available at discountcarstereo, here.
First of all, according to other people's write-ups on how they've connected their ipods to the factory H.U., there are two options... (Assuming you use the auxilliary input adaptors, PIE or USA spec)

1. Using a 3.5mm to RCA line and plugging it in to the headphone jack on the ipod. The problem here is that the headphone jack is an amplified out, meaning you have to turn up the ipod all the way, and THEN turn up your stereo up, way up. Plus the sound quality is not as good as can be...

2. Using the SiK line level audio out adaptor, or the PocketDock with line level output, then connecting the 3.5mm there. This is the better option, obviously because of the actual line level out feature. This bypasses the amplified headphone out, and gives you high-quality audio with normalized volume. (Am I right?)

Instead of doing it like dctennis10 or 2wright (he used the belkin car ...thing, with the charger), how about using the RCA-POD for an alternative? You can use the USASpec or PIE Aux input adaptor, and then run the RCA-POD, which should give you a line level out, which also charges the ipod while the car is on. That's like 3 birds with 2 stones... ;)

What I'm not actually sure of is whether or not the RCA-POD actually utilizes the line level out, like the iPod docking stations. If anyone knows, please share!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

1. you dont have to necessarily turn up the output of the ipod up all the way, you would just want to put it around 70-80% of the max volume or else it will distort. and yes you are right about other alternatives out there that will provide a better quality signal.

2. if you are talking about the SiK imp then yes your are correct. since it uses the dock connector on the ipod as opposed to the headphone jack, you lose volume control on the ipod, but it is indeed line level (which is really great cause someone cant mess up your volume settings on your ipod. lol) and gives a cleaner signal. though this is still not the cleanest possible solution but id say relatively close :D

3. i used an item very similar to this, the Belkin one (i forgot the name but it charged my ipod while letting me use the dock connector out from my ipod, then to the belkin unit, then out of the belkin unit into a 3.5mm plug that i plugged into my AUX in port. it was cool for a while, then i realized that because its charging and energy is running through almost the same cable, it makes alot of electical noise ( ) and i changed it. the SiK imp looks purty cool cause you can connect the charger when you want to, then take it off when its fully charged, which is cool.

personally id say save the money, since you already have an aux in port, either just find a dock connector to 3.5mm plug connector (they do exist..lol) for a really clean sound, and if you want to charge it and play it, the SiK imp looks pretty good, but do take note that i have yet to try it myself.

but to finally answer your question (sorry.. lol) by the looks of it it does look like ustilized the line level out. but i think for the price of the PIE aux input adapter, you might as well save up for an after market deck with an aux in. imo :D. hope this helps and good luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member

I'd definitely have to agree with you that these DIY iPod connections and accessories end up getting a little redundant... Eventually, when you think about it, you might as well invest in the iPod interface controllers or skip this whole mess and go for an aftermarket HU.
Somewhere along the line these upgrades came from a need, and then this specific type of method evolved from a "lower cost" alternative, while supplying quality... yet if you do get the aux input adaptor plus the rca-pod, your expenses have already topped $100 dollars...
I guess I'm looking for a nice median where cost can be minimized, while maximizing utility.
Now you say that you experienced noise from the charging belkin unit? How bad is it? Definitly noticable, huh? Does it whine with acceleration? I can't stand that crap... Which might force me to conisder alternatives without charging the ipod in my car...

blake
Old 09-21-2006, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the belkin was really noisy once i put it up just past a certain level, unfortunately it wasnt loud enough unless i put it past it. and as far as i believe it did whine a bit when i revved up my engine. now that i think about it, another route you could do would be find a used 06 deck. it doesnt have to even be the ipod deck. in the PPCs they usually run around 60 for the standard deck and the ipod deck runs around 120ish. just make sure that it comes with all the cables. the ipod stock deck is pretty cool, ive messed with it a few times and they werent kidding about the good interface it has, and you get to control everything from the deck itself, while also charging and getting the clearest signal too! im sure an 06 will fit in an 05.. but you might wanna search around the forums just to make sure. you pay a little bit more but you get full ipod integration for just no more than 150 if you look hard enough. i just think that if your going to spend that much, dont wanna dish out more cash for a whole new deck (+ harness, +mounting kit, +aux adapter), finding a stock ipod deck would be really cool or just the stock deck with an aux in port (minus you dont get to charge it). :D
Old 09-28-2006, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member

Just to update, I bought the setup I described. The DF-TOY from USASPEC, the RCA-POD, plus a cup holder mount for my ipod.

Installed the DF-Toy today, piece of cake, now I'm waiting on the RCA-POD to come in tomorrow. Can't wait to listen to music off my ipod! Screw the cd-r's.

I'll update after it's complete, to give a judgement on the sound quality.