Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

IS300 Fogs TC just doing some research...[56k no way]

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tc 875, talk us through your install. How did you attach them, how much and where did you cut.

Doing mine tonight/tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Burrrrmmmmp !

Doing the mounting this afternoon (no time yesterday spent all day driving to and from Philly visiting my nephew at CHOP).

I'm probably going to Ghetto install (ala ProjectD, Duct Tape heaven) for starters, and see how the fitment and direction goes, but I want something more permanent.

Should I take the bumper off? Any good links to bumper removal 101 threads?

Anything else anyone wants to add. I have my drimmel at the ready.

:D
Old 11-26-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cutting started, got dark, got cold, came inside to eat turkey drink beer and sit infront of a roaring fire.

Cutting will continue tomorrow.

Bump for any additional attachment advice.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Left fog is in.

Wow you have to cut alot, top and the outside almost right to the edge.

Only thing I'm not happy about is the outside bottom corner, the fog housing goes down to a corner, the scion scoop has more of a rounded scoop, so you either tuck it in, or have a slight gap.

I'll take pictures of the other side which i'm doing now.

I'm probably going to take mine to a local body shop and have them glass them in more or something, I just don't trust my duct tape ghetto job. I'll find out how much having the gap filled and the fogs mounted totall flush would cost, and maybe I'll treat myself for xmas. We'll see.

Love the look so far though, and the projectors with 9006's are way brighter than the h3 hellas I had. Roll on new year, I'm throwing HID's in them.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Camcorder Photo's (better ones coming).

Scoop as it was (notice holes from hella fogs)...

First Cut...

The first bit that comes out...

What's left...

... now it's worth mentioning here that this is half of what was cut away (the next photo didn't come out) but lets just say I cut at the top and right almost to the edge, the left maybe half way froward, and the bottom as little as possible (maybe just 1/2 inch) that way I had something to duct-tape the fog housing to.

Test fitments...

See the wierd kink in the top, the IS300 housing has an odd 'knobble' but it's only noticable from certain angles.

passengers side

Lights on...

Sunny day...

Cut offs coming in 10 minutes... just charging the nice camera.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I initially tried the cutting disks but they just snapped every 5 seconds, so I moved onto a diamond sharpening disk I had (disk with holes, looks metalic) This worked a treat as i could actually push it sideways against the plastic and it would just melt away, rather than having to cut everything.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-27-2005, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member

If I was you I would just change the fogs to match the color of your headlights. Nice work though, I never did like the stock tC fog light position.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My headlights are bright yellow.

I'm actually, tempted to go for the yellow fog, very white headlights.

But yellow and black is my "theme".
Old 11-28-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Limey
Camcorder Photo's (better ones coming).

... now it's worth mentioning here that this is half of what was cut away (the next photo didn't come out) but lets just say I cut at the top and right almost to the edge, the left maybe half way froward, and the bottom as little as possible (maybe just 1/2 inch) that way I had something to duct-tape the fog housing to.

Cut offs coming in 10 minutes... just charging the nice camera.
what did you use for mounting the lights themselves? I've heard some people say there are glassing them in, but I don't want to go that route, as it leaves no room for adjustment. id you use some sort of L bracket ? Pix of that, if possible, woudl be very appreciated.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No L bracket, no space, trust me on this, once you start cutting the fog lights get bigger and bigger, finally when you feel you can cut no more they pop in (with some vertical wiggling.)

I'm getting mine glassed (or body shop mounted) in place.

Currently I have the big flag that was teh bottom of the scoop, so i wrapped duct tape over the top and under a couple of times.

Total ghetto job.... for now.

Can i just say, after driving home tonight with them, that I am 200% happy with the outcome. The road 40 feet ahead of me is lit like daylight, cut off is razor but by then your're into main beams. It's a nice wide solid beam. Soooo much of an improvement on the hella H3 bulb fogs i was using.

Come '06 I'm putting as low a K as possible HID in them to see what craziness that does.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default great install Limey

This is a great thread, you're the pioneer I've been waiting for. Could you mount the fogs with a thin sheetmetal mounted under fogs and bented up in an L like what you were thinkng. A sheetmetal would be sturdy and thin enough to screw to the plastic bumper. I know you said space is tight under the fog, but a thin sheetmetal with some flat screw/bolts attachment might work.

Questions though:
What type of electrical hook ups did you use, did you just use your Hella parts for the switches?

For anyone that has already completed this DIY, did you guys hook up the wiring to the Scion factory wiring and just buy the switch for the dash from Toyota parts or did you go completely aftermarket for switches and wiring. I know you can buy wiring from crap places like Walmart....god forbid i have to do that...
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used the hella hook ups, I'm **** about using those male female push adapters everywhere I do electrical stuff, so i can just pull and push and change stuff around. So i picked up some of the plug and wire "harnesses" added a female and plugged straight into the existing setup. There is another thread somewhere with that install and all the wiring issues i had. Keeping it simple was the key, direct into the battery, relay for the switching, single wire through the firewall from a source for the other side of the relay. Much easier than hooking into the OEM harness, IMHO.

Switches I have all my holes filled with OEM style ones that all the electrical site sponsors on here sell for $9, and Lowes or Home Depot sells for $3 (guess where I got mine) ;-)

Yes maybe you could do sheetmetal under for the screws. I also think you could actually bolt then straight through the inside scoop wall - yes it's that tight in there, I can barely poke a finger up to the first joint in the gap down the inside.

I'm no pioneer, there are many that came before, I'm just a tourist who took lots of photo's on the guided tour.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again this needs to be stressed to anyone thinking of doing this.

The fogs beyond the front are MUCH MUCH bigger than the scoop.

You have to cut LOTS of your bumper. Top and outside on mine are within mm of the front edge.

Once they are in position and level you won't need to move them, you won't need to take them out - hell you can't take them out, you'll need a new bumper.

By the way before I forget. if you cut with the bumper on, there is stuff inside very near to it, cut carefully.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this looks great im thinking on putting this foglights as well on out tc . . . am closely watching this thread . . ... thanks guys for the info . . ..
Old 10-06-2006, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ght=fog+lights

Check it out! Everyone... You need Start by going to VertexRacing.com Email and contact them to get the DAMN Price under $200. We will be getting this price droped if they want to sell... 300+ is OVER PRICED!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fog lights by Vertex Racing

I've seen their version of these lights and they are GREAT. Custom made for the tc and include all wiring for FACTORY looms, seriously its PLUG AND PLAY all the way. German glass. All new design and easy to install. This company has my vote for their R&D and overall appreciation for fine quality parts
Old 10-24-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sweeet! But they aren't projectors and they aren't 9006s. Could they still be as bright?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:41 PM
VRD
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Sweeet! But they aren't projectors and they aren't 9006s. Could they still be as bright?
In our view, fog lights are suppose to spread wide range down the ground, and projectors shoots straight.

can ours be as bright? we think ours is brighter than the IS300 fog.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nice work!

Quick Reply: IS300 Fogs TC just doing some research...[56k no way]