Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

JL vs mtx

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang i hope it doesnt rattle
Old 09-13-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i've heard good stuff about mtx, and i heard the jl7 8's and they were rediculous, but likes they said its a personal preference. im still stuck between mtx and kicker comps and kicker solo's
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

i only have ONE 9500 in my hatch and everyone asks me if i have two 12's. If you have any questions about MTX I'll answer them for ya, MTX is superior to JL though and especially Kicker. Check out this video below if you don't believe me......

http://www.mtx.com/smoked/index.cfm
Old 09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

also forgot to mention if you really wanna see how MTX woofers stack up against our competitors you can use our volume displacement calculator which figures in the actual output of a woofer given with the specs from all the manufactures so its all fare.

You can see how much more output you're really getting for the price.

http://www.mtx.com/Flash2/volume_displacement.cfm
Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: JL vs mtx

Originally Posted by tccurtis
okay so i looked through the fourms and searched couldnt find to much on this so what do you think i should do???? all jl(speakers) system with w6s or all mtx(speajers) system with 8500 or like jl speakers mtx subs or mtx speakers jl subs... or should i get something different like the 9500 or the w7s.. but im getting 2 12s in the tc and i know its gonna be loud but i dont know which is better any one have any opinions?
my only comment (please know that I have just read your post) is to make sure you get a nice amp. I know I like to bump for hours (trips to and from college) and if the amps not up to the job then it can really be disappointing.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh im not cutting any corners on the amp lol i know the only thing that makes a sub is an amp if you have 300 watt amp and 350 watt sub and 700 watt sub doesnt matter cause its gonna hit the same .. well close to the same..
Old 09-13-2007, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MTcX
also forgot to mention if you really wanna see how MTX woofers stack up against our competitors you can use our volume displacement calculator which figures in the actual output of a woofer given with the specs from all the manufactures so its all fare.

You can see how much more output you're really getting for the price.

http://www.mtx.com/Flash2/volume_displacement.cfm
hey ive heard mtx and hits hard but at the same time i dont know which will last longer im actually paying a little less for the j; subs..
Old 09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tccurtis
oh im not cutting any corners on the amp lol i know the only thing that makes a sub is an amp if you have 300 watt amp and 350 watt sub and 700 watt sub doesnt matter cause its gonna hit the same .. well close to the same..
yup ..you got it.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

MTcX is there any group buys or SL discounts on mtx subs ;)
Old 09-13-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Please keep in mind enclosure sizes needed as well. I don't care how loud it sounds if I can't fit it in my car. PM me where you're getting your subs tccurtis, I'd like to know where you're buying them if they carry 8w7's.

Oh, and for the MTX video, I don't view the ability to sink more power as neccessarily a good thing unless you're pushing the absolute upper limits. Wouldn't that make the sub less efficient since it needs more power to move the same air displacement?

From the side by side provided by MTX's website, it looks like the JL w7's will be louder and need less power than the comparable MTX's, though they will cost more. I find it especially odd the 13w7 still has greater displacement to the MTX T9515 15", and yes the JL still costs more. Odder still is the fixed xMax used by MTX, so the 10" and 15" have the same travel, whereas the JL xMax scales with diameter.

I do really wish they would have shown box space needed as well, I would think that a pretty important parameter.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by scotspitch56
MTcX is there any group buys or SL discounts on mtx subs ;)
we like to have our customers go through our dealers so we really don't promote direct sales to take sales away from our dealers.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Please keep in mind enclosure sizes needed as well. I don't care how loud it sounds if I can't fit it in my car. PM me where you're getting your subs tccurtis, I'd like to know where you're buying them if they carry 8w7's.

Oh, and for the MTX video, I don't view the ability to sink more power as neccessarily a good thing unless you're pushing the absolute upper limits. Wouldn't that make the sub less efficient since it needs more power to move the same air displacement?

From the side by side provided by MTX's website, it looks like the JL w7's will be louder and need less power than the comparable MTX's, though they will cost more. I find it especially odd the 13w7 still has greater displacement to the MTX T9515 15", and yes the JL still costs more. Odder still is the fixed xMax used by MTX, so the 10" and 15" have the same travel, whereas the JL xMax scales with diameter.

I do really wish they would have shown box space needed as well, I would think that a pretty important parameter.
going through a friend in my area and yeah im sure its going to fit i dont think im getting the w7s but i dont know if they have the 8s.... i think im getting the w6s 12s 2 of em..
Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

While I appreciate and understand why mtxtc pushes MTX. it is hard to say MTX is better just because the MTX site says so. And looking at the info, like someone else pointed out, mtx is not better.

Mtx is good, for the money. but to say they are better than JL, isnt true.
The baskets of a JL sub are better contrusted, the cone is tougher, and the voice coils will handle much better.

Liking a particular brand is fine. I personally prefer Alpine. But just because I like it, doesnt mean its the best out there.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I like FiCarAudio.....*shurgs*
Old 09-14-2007, 12:37 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Fi has good stuff.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say go with memphis which i have been so happy about. as for JL and MTX. MTX are built to last for a long time and they sound great in a ported box. as for JL i think ppl hype them a lil too much, dont get me wrong they are really good sounding but expensive to maintain. working for a professional audio place ive seen alot of ppl come into our shop with already bought JL stuff and left with memphis M and MoJo class subs and amps
Old 09-14-2007, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Fi has good stuff.
word....got an ssd myself and cant complain....

but between mtx and jl, price no concern, jl everyday of the week....i think i read that your friend can get you good deals on both of these brands (may be wrong, going from memory from yesterday) but why not check out more brands online that you may be able to get off the mainstream market and get something that mite cost less than jl and mite perform better....just saying take a peek at whats on the other side of the fence. (Digital Designs, Fi, Audioque, RD Audio, TC Sounds aka Audiopulse, Stereo Integrity, Sound Splinter, etc)

btw, theres quite a bit of VA people on here....why does it seem like there are more VA people than people from the other 49 states? lol
Old 09-15-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

JL definitely tops MTX if you've got the money. MTX speakers aren't worth a crap. JL speakers are very nice, but no doubt, there are better ones out there. 12W6's have actually proven to have BETTER sound quality than 12W7's, so depending on what you're after, you might wanna stick with the W6's. The W6's are pretty much a straight up SQ subs whereas the W7's are an SQ sub with an SPL edge to them. There's a reason that all things today are compared to JL subs....and that says a lot. Lastly, with that being said, do yourself a favor and look around. With the money you're about to drop on subs and speakers, there's better stuff out there if you look. YanksFan just gave you the sub rundown that i was gonna give you. as far as speakers go, look at Boston, Rainbow, CDT, Focal, Morel, Dynaudio, Hertz, Diamond, Audiopulse, Phoenix Gold (if heavily on a budget), and Genesis, among others.

Just because your friend can hook you up on JL and MTX doesn't mean you have to take his offer. For the money, I'd look elsewhere. Limiting yourself to those 2 brands is bound to hurt you in your search.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya i was going to get boston speakers and boston subs but it about `1100 dollars more (through a different party..) and i know there is better stuff out there than jl but at the same time jl isnt bad...
Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mtx is louder

jl sounds better.

Quick Reply: JL vs mtx