Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Just got a Kicker Solo Baric L5...What Amp to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by eboardracer
eclipse is made by pioneer...think of eclipse as lexus and pioneer as toyota...its a good product. Plus, I would stay away from Crutchfield...they do have an excellent selection but are rediculously over priced IMO
Wow. You have NO idea what you're talking about. Fujitsu Ten is the parent company of Eclipse, and in no way related to Pioneer Electronics.

http://www.fujitsu-ten.co.jp/english/index.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/AboutPioneer

Crutchfield has an outstanding reputation, as one of the safest online stores seen here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/mediarela...ttomnav*awards

Go ahead and buy from a bargain-basement store if you like...BUYER BEWARE!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its hillarious on how UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP people are! If your gonna spend hundreds or throusands of dollars on something at least get it from a reputable company and get that warranty! I swear anything to save a buck, modding a car IS NEVER CHEAP!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by rocketgyrl
Originally Posted by eboardracer
eclipse is made by pioneer...think of eclipse as lexus and pioneer as toyota...its a good product. Plus, I would stay away from Crutchfield...they do have an excellent selection but are rediculously over priced IMO
Wow. You have NO idea what you're talking about. Fujitsu Ten is the parent company of Eclipse, and in no way related to Pioneer Electronics.

http://www.fujitsu-ten.co.jp/english/index.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/AboutPioneer

Crutchfield has an outstanding reputation, as one of the safest online stores seen here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/mediarela...ttomnav*awards

Go ahead and buy from a bargain-basement store if you like...BUYER BEWARE!
Yeah I won't hesitate to buy from crutchfield, I got my d3 and accessories from there and they treated me very nice when I ordered it over the phone with them.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YanksFan
Originally Posted by 07ToOcOoLs
I would get a bigger amp than that, the kickers are meant to handle better with more power. I'd go with something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...mp&i=206ZX7501

REMEMBER YOUR MORE LIKELY TO BLOW A SUB BY UNDERPOWERING IT, NOT OVERPOWERING IT@!

I gotta disagree with that whole post. The ZX750.1 is way to much for that sub. Kicker's build quality on the L7's and L5's are not the best. That amp you posted is underrated and most of them do almost 900rms @ 2 ohms which is double the rms of the L5. The zx400.1 will do close to 500 probably and will work perfectly for the L5.

And you can't blow a sub just because your underpowering it.

Im guessing when you say "2 ohms" at the beginning, you mean the sub can be wired to 2 ohms....So the sub is dual 4 ohm I assume?
the zx750.1 is not to much power. plus you can always turn the gains down. it's always good to have too much power anyway.

personally, if i wanned to use 500 watts, i'd get an amp that does 750. that way you won't be pushing the amp to it's limits.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you can turn the gain down and it'd be fine. I don't know, to me, it would just make more sense to get the zx400.1. Either way it will work. Just seems easier with the zx400.1 in my mind. Just something about buying an amp that does twice the rms of the sub....especially with kickers build quality on their subs.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

theres nothing wrong with kicker subs, you hear a few bad apples and thing of it as a whole is totally false.

anyways you aint playing your sub hard enough if you dont smell VC.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you can turn the gain down and it'd be fine. I don't know, to me, it would just make more sense to get the zx400.1. Either way it will work. Just seems easier with the zx400.1 in my mind. Just something about buying an amp that does twice the rms of the sub....especially with kickers build quality on their subs.
for me it's all about headroom. having more power than you need is a great thing. keeps the amps far away from sounding strained and clipping.

for example; i'll soon have 100 watts per tweeter, 200 watts per mid, and about 620 watts for my sub. right now i have about 22 per tweeter, 200 per mid and about 400 for the sub.

the tweeters and mids are being run active, but are the drivers from the Phoenix Gold RSD component set. they are only rated at 60 watts rms per side and thats with the passive crossover (which i am not using) there soaking up a good deal of power.

am i using all the power i have, will i be using all of the extra power i will be getting? hell no! but it'll be great to know i can turn it up crazy loud and not worry about clipping the amps. i am however giving the mids a good bit of power at high volumes.
the mids alone are seeing upwards of 75 watts a lot of the time. they don't seem to be complaining though.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 07ToOcOoLs
Its hillarious on how UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP people are! If your gonna spend hundreds or throusands of dollars on something at least get it from a reputable company and get that warranty! I swear anything to save a buck, modding a car IS NEVER CHEAP!
none of my stuff was bought from an authorized dealer except for my sub woofer. if i can get it cheaper i will. i don't believe in paying extra for a warranty. if the item works when first installed then most likely it will continue to do so if used properly. if you install the stuff correctly and don't abuse the **** out of it then you shouldn't have problems in the first place. EBAY FTMFW!!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
theres nothing wrong with kicker subs, you hear a few bad apples and thing of it as a whole is totally false.

Eh, I've heard more than a few bad apples about Kicker's subs. I'd rather buy something that I can rely on more.

for me it's all about headroom. having more power than you need is a great thing. keeps the amps far away from sounding strained and clipping.

for example; i'll soon have 100 watts per tweeter, 200 watts per mid, and about 620 watts for my sub. right now i have about 22 per tweeter, 200 per mid and about 400 for the sub.

the tweeters and mids are being run active, but are the drivers from the Phoenix Gold RSD component set. they are only rated at 60 watts rms per side and thats with the passive crossover (which i am not using) there soaking up a good deal of power.

am i using all the power i have, will i be using all of the extra power i will be getting? hell no! but it'll be great to know i can turn it up crazy loud and not worry about clipping the amps. i am however giving the mids a good bit of power at high volumes.
the mids alone are seeing upwards of 75 watts a lot of the time. they don't seem to be complaining though.

That's understandable about headroom. I have a little headroom on my sub and comps but nothing too excessive.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude

Eh, I've heard more than a few bad apples about Kicker's subs. I'd rather buy something that I can rely on more.

That's understandable about headroom. I have a little headroom on my sub and comps but nothing too excessive.
yea my amount headroom is a little excessive. i also bought the amps i bought with the idea that if i swap out to different drivers that are either less efficient or ones that are a higher impedance that i'll still have enough power. once i get my new amps in i'll have about double the power than i'll actually use. tweeters don't need more than 25 watts, my mids might see 100 from time to time, and the sub will probably never see more than 350-400 ever. 1220 watts of class a/b power all being driven into 4 ohm loads. :-)

and kicker subs are ok, they are not bad. they will get pretty loud, and be fairly reliable if used properly, but the SQ will be a little lacking in most installs.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same on my CDT components.

you havent lived till you have 200rms per chan on compontnes =)
Old 02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd say the kicker zx750.1 its supposed to be 750 but mine came w/ the amp certificate saying 934 watts peak and you can find in some places online for 200-225
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
I had the same on my CDT components.

you havent lived till you have 200rms per chan on compontnes =)
i'll have 300 per channel on my front components. :-)