Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Key controlled sunroof ----- Attention Installers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by jiggydragon
what about the fact that when you have the sunroof FULLY open you have to close it twice since it stops 3/4 of the way for no apparent reason...or is it just my car?
Lol, toyota (and lexus) have been doing that for over 10 years (as far as I know). Just in case some crazy kid (that you happen to not see) is standing on your lap, with his head through the sunroof enjoying the view.... Then chop! new hood ornament!

Toyota is smart for forseeing that!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
So does the Acura TSX. Well, I don't know about the sunroof, but all the windows roll down as you approach the car. I wish the tC did that. Especially here in the Central Valley when it gets to be 110 degrees! If anybody finds out any info, like which aftermarket alarm system will do this, please let us know!
Im on it! So far I have everything figured out exept I am unsure of how all this auto up and down and open and close works. I dont want to hit the button on the remote and the sunroof not stop opening....
Old 03-18-2008, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a great idea to have your windows open automatically as you approach the car... I can see it all now. As the once sunny day turns to rain, you run to your car to have it greet you by rolling all of the windows down and getting the seat ready for you by opening the sunroof... I think I'll pass and just have it do it on my command.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been messing with my sunroof to try and figure out how i can set it up with my Python 990. So far i've disovered that if you take the switches down, you'll see the solenoid that used to drive the sun roof.

going into the solenoid there is a wiring harness with a couple wires in it. There are two wires that require a constant (-) signal to either open or close the sunroof. There are also two other wire's that supply a postiver (+) signal while the car is on ignition and upto 30 seconds after you've turned off the car. You'll need a relay to feed power to those two wires. As for the open or close wires, those you'll need a timer. maybe even two becuase of the built in stop feature it has. Sounds a bit complicated but i think i can pull it off.

There's a programable part made by Pac-Audio called the TR7, you can program it as a 3 in 1 timer. I havent got a hold of one to try it out. I think they're something like $20 or so. Soon as i get a hold of one, I'll spend some more time into researching and developing some method that works.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually, the way i am doing it, you wont need all that. if all you have to do is apply power to one or the other for open and close. I got this little box at autozone that is a 4 channel remote power thing, i have to pull it apart and switch some jumpers around to switch it from "on/off" function to "momentary" contact so that it is only aplying power when i am holding the button.
channel 1 open sunroof
channel 2 close sunroof
channel 3 open both windows
channel 4 close both windows
The windows will be a little tougher. I will have to wire in a couple of diodes to keep both windows from rolling down when i use the regular button to roll one down.

On the solenoid, it is just two wires going in that controls it?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually, the way i am doing it, you wont need all that. if all you have to do is apply power to one or the other for open and close. I got this little box at autozone that is a 4 channel remote power thing, i have to pull it apart and switch some jumpers around to switch it from "on/off" function to "momentary" contact so that it is only aplying power when i am holding the button.
channel 1 open sunroof
channel 2 close sunroof
channel 3 open both windows
channel 4 close both windows
The windows will be a little tougher. I will have to wire in a couple of diodes to keep both windows from rolling down when i use the regular button to roll one down.

On the solenoid, it is just two wires going in that controls it?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DanPorges
Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01
I am a certified mobile electronics installer. You would need to find out what that button is for (is it an output on the brain of the alarm?), what kind of signal it sends out (voltage, current, polarity, and duration).
Ok, so i figured out that my panic button is active and therefore cant be used.......... Next option.... First off, jut so you know, I am MECP certified in Audio only, never did alarms and remote starts, but im not a noob.
What if I used a relay off of the lock function of the factory brain. Do you know if it uses a single pulse output to lock the doors? Could that be T-tapped to a relay that would send power to the sunroof motor in the close direction only?
what do you mean you are only certified in audio? There is no audio only MECP cert that I know of.

Honestly I don't think this will work. Not sure if the lock button continuously transmits and you wouild have to stand there and watch it close because there would be no timer or limit switch.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't remember for sure how many wire there are, but i believe it's 5 or 6. I'll take my switches down and take pictures. But before i do that, can n e one give me a quick briefing on how to post pics becuase im clueless when it comes to that!

that autozone thing will probably work, except im looking to elimate having to push and hold onto something. I want to be able to just hit lock on my remote and have the sunroof close automatically.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been doing more research and have found it's not as easy as just atactching what i have so far to the back of the switch. I have to get what's called a "window module" it is what controls the up, down and the auto features. so far, the problem I have is that all the aftermarket modules I have found that they make will only roll everything up/close it. (and rebeld, it would be just one push and then it will stop on its own, the module does all that, you can even control the close speed with most of them)
Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

my GTI has a function where i can open and close the windows with the remote. it would work for the sunroof to if i had one. might want to look into that.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

way to bump a two year old thread!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I've been wanting this since I got my 05. My 03 325i key did it. Hold down the unlock button then all 4 windows and the sunroof open up. But you couldn't close the windows...I know Nissan's do it, but they only do the front windows.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i spent a day dedicated to finding out how i could wire up my sunroof to my python 990 alarm. As promised, i was able to pull it off using a diode, a relay and a TR7 by Pac -audio.

As far as using a window module, DEI makes one for sunroofs and it's called the 529T. Although this module workes flawlessly in most cars, that is not the case here. The TC has that feature where you have to let go of the switch for a second, and then press it again to continue closing it. Thats why you need the TR7 becuase you can program two timers to go off and two diffrent time periods.

I have one timer set for three seconds, the second timer kicks in a second later and stays on for another four seconds. I'll post a thread once i figure out how to post pics.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I loved this feature on my jetta....i wouldnt mind having it on my tC.....
Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My buddy did this. He ran a another hard wire from a light circuit to a remote control power box or sort. To be honest, i think he went old school and used one of those remote controlled light things. I'm not sure, i'll ask him.

Basically, he wired a always on power wire to the box and t taped it into the wire for close only. and wired another box to open. So with the flick of a secondary remote, he can controls his sunroof.

thats from what i understand. I'll get a more detailed plan from him tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, don't the windows already have the modules in them to control the motion? when you push the switch, (the auto roll down for example) it makes a breif electrical connection in the switch and sends that pulse to the box that says "roll the window down". Can't I just tap into that wire with my remote stuff i already have so that when i tap the button it sends the same pulse?

Why can it not be that easy? i already have a remote setup that sends either a constent or momentary current depending on how the jumpers inside are wired.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i know a guy that has it hooked up to his xb windows...idk how he did but...it would be cool to have the sunroof open by remote :D
Old 03-24-2008, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, does this guy have an sl name or can you ask him and post it up?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I'll give you his myspace, i dont think he has a SL name.
http://www.myspace.com/divineautoacc
Old 04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, the sunroof is cake to get going remotely, the windows though are proving to be a challenge . . . once i get the roof wired up (will try to do it this weekend) and get it working, i will do a writeup on it

Quick Reply: Key controlled sunroof ----- Attention Installers???