Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

LEDs in the dizzoors...ON/OFF with dome/door opens???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LEDs in the dizzoors...ON/OFF with dome/door opens???

OK, I've been searching and reading, and going crazy. I want to install LEDs in my doors, but I want to either A) tap into my dome light so that when dome light comes on, that LED will illuminate, or B) tap into the door so that when the door opens, that LED will illuminate. (I want to run LEDs along the bottom of the door, so that when it opens, it lights up the area where I step out) (why? b/c I think it looks cool) I've got it figured out in regards to the placement, I just don't know where to tap power from.

I don't care if it's A) or B), I'll be thrilled with either way.

I've read the wiring diagrams, and read many, MANY posts, but no one has clearly defined how to do either A or B. (unless I just totally missed it in the search) The closest was someone said to tap into the ground in the door somehow, but he never said how. The wiring diagrams were totally confusing. Someone else posted a picture of the fuse panel of where the dome light is, but it isn't how my 2007 tC looked.

I'd appreciate a simple way (if there is one) to do either. I could get power through the door (via the grommet) or I can tap into a power wire in the door (preferred), but I just want a solution. Please help!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There probably isn't a power wire in the door to tap into since nothing in the door changes when you open it. You'll probably have to tap something in the fuse box (if someone knows which one) and run it to the door.

That's just a guess though. I don't really know.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a 12+ wire in the door that goes to the harness. it makes the doors lock and unlock but i don't think its a constant 12v

i could be wrong
Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, I guess I should clarify what I was saying... I'm sure there's power to something in the door... but not a switched power that will be off and on with the door closed and open. That's what I was thinking in my other post...
Old 07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohhhh

no you'd have to run power from somewhere in the cabin and then run it through the gromit. THEN you'll need a relay and tap into the wire up at the dome light. it would take a bit but be pretty slick if you could pull it off
Old 07-06-2007, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, someone figured it out how to power it via the door, but never exactly said how
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=led+door

But I also thought, the dome light power wire has to go to the fuse box somewhere, so where is that wire from the fuse box, and what color is it? That would be the 2nd easiest thing to find. (I'd think at least) rather than tapping into the wire near the dome light. I'd think there has to be one nearer the fuse box. Oh man, I'm going loopy...
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you haven't yet, I'd say PM that guy and see what he says.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tap into the blue wire (negative) like shown in this pic and then connect a wire to the positive and DONE. It will work like you want it. Pz

Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats what i would do.

seems like a very practical thing. let us know what he says
Old 07-06-2007, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I PM'ed ScionJim23, but he's gone now. So I was wondering if I'm just a n00b or something here. (prob so)

In the picture he listed, I have no red wire or blue wire where he shows it.
I was wondering if that picture was a before or after picture. Does anyone else show those wires NOT to be there in their tC currently?

Again, where he shows 2 red wires coming out, I have no wire in that slot. Am I supposed to add 1 there (or 2), or were those wires there previously and he simply tapped into them? Does anyone else have those wires there or are there blank slots there?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member

its a blank power source...so u tap into it...then the blue wire is hidden inside that black plastic tube...u really have to tap onto that cuz that(ground) allows watever you're powering up turn on...gud luck
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member

whoops, i guess i didn't answer ur question...no, the red wire wouldn't be there, u add that urself, then the blue wire is like i said, in the black plastic tube...that's an after (or in progress) picture
Old 07-06-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JeiTee has it right. I PM'd you back Spitfire23. I basically said what he said to you. You tap into the blue wire that comes out of the black tuba and add a red wire to that location for a constant power source. Its a 12v constant power source so that lights will have power when the car doors open. Otherwise if you use a different power source, you will have to turn the car on first and then open the doors, which makes no sense at all. So yes, tap both these locations and you will be good to go. Good luck man. And be careful not to touch any connections with your bare hands if you decide to not unplug your battery. This will cause you to blow a fuse in your car and you will have to replace it. So be careful with your hands or just unplug your car battery.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ScionJim is right on. He helped me out with a few weeks back answering the same LED-hooked-up-to-dome-light question. I wired my lights doing what he said and it worked perfectly. I disconnected my battery as he mentioned just to be safe. It's very easy and will definitely achieve the look you're going for.

Funny, I'll be installing LEDs on the bottom of my door panels later this week (decided on it over a week ago). Great minds think alike. :D Granted, I also have about 20 other places where I'm putting LEDs, but I'll save that for another thread. Lol. Good luck!!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey PowerofSHN, glad my quick DIY write up worked for you on those LED hookups. Once you do one set, you keep wanting to do more. LOL. Well good luck with the rest, glad my DIY worked for you. If you got more questions, PM me guys. LATER
Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionJim23
JeiTee has it right. I PM'd you back Spitfire23. I basically said what he said to you. You tap into the blue wire that comes out of the black tuba and add a red wire to that location for a constant power source. Its a 12v constant power source so that lights will have power when the car doors open. Otherwise if you use a different power source, you will have to turn the car on first and then open the doors, which makes no sense at all. So yes, tap both these locations and you will be good to go. Good luck man. And be careful not to touch any connections with your bare hands if you decide to not unplug your battery. This will cause you to blow a fuse in your car and you will have to replace it. So be careful with your hands or just unplug your car battery.
I'm confused by what you mean when you all are saying "tap into the blue wire".
Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member

use a T-tap connector, and tap onto it...like splicing it with the blue wire..
Old 07-10-2007, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah yea
i did this a couple weeks ago
the leds in my headlights come on when i unlock/open my doors
lemme know if you need help still
Old 07-10-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...530&highlight=

did this 7 months or so ago. same idea you have basically, lights in the door that turn on when you open/unlock the car.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeaponX6X
Originally Posted by ScionJim23
I'm confused by what you mean when you all are saying "tap into the blue wire".
When i say tap, i mean splice into the blue wire (negative) that i shown in the pic.
This will allow the lights to come on and off when the doors are open and shut without the car having to be on just like the dome lights do. Just splice into it with the Negative wire from your LEDs. And if you want, add a switch into the mix like i did so you can also have your own control over them after the doors are shut jsut like you have control of your dome lights. Good luck. Post questions if needed. later.

Quick Reply: LEDs in the dizzoors...ON/OFF with dome/door opens???