Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Lift gate supports

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Lift gate supports

I recently switched out my hatch struts since the other ones were shot and the new ones can't even lift the hatch up. I bought the ones made for the pedestal spoiler (which I don't have) so I would definitely think they should raise the hatch up by themselves. The only way they will hold it up is if I raise it very high, much higher than it's supposed to go. Otherwise it just falls down...I emailed TRDsparks about this and he said it was normal? This can't be right. This is his reply:

The T/G Struts are meant to hold the lift gate open when it is opened all the way. They will not hold the gate open when it's only been partially opened. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turns out they are probably defective. Returning them for another pair.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, either defective or the wrong part. After seeing your post I went and tried mine since I couldn't remember exactly, and found they still hold it open even when it's half-way closed. Don't know why TRDSparks would say yours is normal when it's not.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

what do you mean by much higher than it's supposed to go?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I sent them back for them to "test" and they said it passed all tests and they work fine. I don't see how this is possible since I installed them and the hatch would simply fall down. Ken sent me an exploded view of the hatch to verify that I had them on the right side up, which I did, but I switched them just for the hell of it with the same result. And now to compound things, they sent it back but the box had a hole in it and it only came with one strut...I will email them to see what they say but this has by far been my worst experience with TRDsparks.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a problem with these struts when my car was still under warranty. Definitely annoying little p.o.s.'s
Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just get the measurements of them all the way out and order some aftermarket ones, thats what i did on my toneau cover on my truck
Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Murphys_Law
just get the measurements of them all the way out and order some aftermarket ones, thats what i did on my toneau cover on my truck
That's probably what I will have to end up doing. After TRDsparks tested them and said they work, which I frankly doubt, they said they would send them back to me and if they still didn't work they would not give me a refund.

I even told them that this time I'll take it to a dealership to have it "professionally" installed and he sent me a suspicious reply:

"I am going to be honest with you and let you know the dealership may tell you these struts do not work. The reason they will tell you this is because they want to sell you the same ones for at least twice the price. I will re-pack these back up today and get them sent back out to you. Let us know if you have any questions on anything."

Wtf does that even mean??
Old 02-12-2010, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bsptcftw
That's probably what I will have to end up doing. After TRDsparks tested them and said they work, which I frankly doubt, they said they would send them back to me and if they still didn't work they would not give me a refund.

I even told them that this time I'll take it to a dealership to have it "professionally" installed and he sent me a suspicious reply:

"I am going to be honest with you and let you know the dealership may tell you these struts do not work. The reason they will tell you this is because they want to sell you the same ones for at least twice the price. I will re-pack these back up today and get them sent back out to you. Let us know if you have any questions on anything."

either that they know theyre crap or they know the dealerships well
Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
SL Member

sounds like they just want your money and gave u bad parts..i'd contact BBB if they don't refund your money
Old 02-13-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bsptcftw

That means your butt should start hurting, because they just put one in ya. I bought the same spoiler struts that you bought from TRD sparks when they were dirt cheap. I would have a bought a spare at that price, but they changed their prices right after my sale. I don't have a spoiler either, so my hatch goes up very nicely. I'll measure mine later, but i'm guessing once i lift the hatch up 12 inches, the hatch will rise.

Last edited by asthmatic; 02-13-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't get a response to my email about how the package came back with only one strut, so I replied threatening to contact the BBB and they are giving me a full refund. Waste of my time and money and I am still convinced the struts are defective, but TRDsparks customer service came through and I will continue to buy from them.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they didn't come through because they didn't respond to your email. They shat their pants and issued a refund. I'm glad you got your money back
Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 AM

make sure the mounts on either side of the trunk are bolted in correctly. i have seen this problem before becuase the mounts for the cylinders were installed upside down.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Scion-xA-Rear-Back-Hatch-Liftgate-Trunk-Lift-Supports-Shocks-Struts-Arm-Damper-/130840580660?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AScion|Model%3AxA&hash=item1e76b4d234&vxp=mtr

just sayin.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ Those are for an xA, and this is a tC thread.

A two year old tC thread at that.

Just sayin....