Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Making Speakers Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

Default Making Speakers Fit

I know that this is a dumb question that has been answered already, but I have some specific questions concerning speaker sizes in my scion tC. I want to upgrade my speakers, but everything I have found lists different speaker openings (the fronts are 5 1/4 and the rear are 6 1/2??). Using different "fit my car" services like at crutchfield.com all give different results. I really want to put in the Infiniti Reference 6010cs components in the front (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MNxYYaD...00&I=1086010CS)
and Infinity Reference 6012i (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MNxYYaD...400&I=1086012I) in the back. According to some services, these will fit, according to Crutchfield they will not. Can anyone clarify which will/won't fit? Also, the price on the 6010cs is $159, is that for one side (i.e. front driver side) or for the entire front (passenger and driver side)?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i recall i heard they do fit i am also looking tio the same speakers and have asked best buy, cartoys, mobile one (installers) and i have got yes everytime so i would assume they are the ones that really know
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...peaker+install

You have to either make something like those or buy the fitment rings that will accomodate a 6.5" speaker
Old 09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 2 pairs of the crutchfield speaker adapters that i'll sell for $22 shipped for both pairs. i paid $32 shipped. I bought them to mount some 6 3/4" speakers but they didn't fit so i made my own out of mdf and a jigsaw using the stock speakers as a template. I have confirmed that the rings will work in the front and the rear and will accept most 6 1/2" speakers. I'm not sure about those speakers tho. The reason my 6 3/4" speakers wouldn't fit was because the basket wouldn't slide all the way into the hole in the adapter ring.. I could have modified the ring slightly but then i would have had nothing to screw the speaker to. If those speakers are 6 1/2" with a ring to make them fit in a larger hole then they will work with the adapters from crutchfield because they are still just 6 1/2".
Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

here is what the door looks like w/ my speaker piece i was making .... without it its just a piece of metal (so just minus the black piece going around):

Old 09-06-2006, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member

Has anyone checked into these?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=76

They supposedly fit in the tC's front doors to allow placement of aftermarket speakers, although I'm not sure what size(s). The site says they're for custom fitting of Eu-600 / Eu-630 / Eu-650 midrange drivers, but I have no idea what brand/size speakers those are. I tried looking for more info on the site, but it's very limited. I want to get these for my tC if they will fit the speakers I want.
Then again, I was on this site a while ago (maybe a couple weeks ago), and I could've sworn they had a component baffle set so that you could mount components in the tC. I tried to find that today as well, with no luck. As components are what I'd REALLY like to put up front, this set would be highly desirable.

Anyway, any info anyone has on these baffles (or any comperable ones) it would be very much appreciated. No rush though, as I'm broker than broke right now, and can't even begin to think about buying new speakers etc. for my car.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

:D

i made these myself! but if you dont have the tools, those work the same way also! that company has some great products!

BTW, the fronts are 6.5" and the rears and 5.25". BUT you can fit 6.5" with this bracket, however the bracket needs to be a bit different for the rears.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea mine look very similar. i had to do a lot of trimming on the rears but i got them in there eventually. i need to put some fiberfill in that dead space behind the rears tho.

BTW to those of you looking for a place to mount tweeters....i purchased these for my front component set.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...263623,00.html
the tweeters are 1 1/8" but are housed in a billet aluminum shell. well this shell fits PERFECTLY into the defroster vents in the dash. no modification at all, they are press fit and don't move. i about shat myself when i realized it. they look like they were meant to be there. so pull out your tweeters and see if they will fit. i didn't want to drill into my dash. thats costly if i ever remove the speakers. i couldn't find anywhere that would a) look good or b) not fall apart after closing the door twice. i had almost given up.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

so your not gonna have defrost vents? im sure they'll fit in the tweet spot?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by j-monkey440
Has anyone checked into these?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=76

They supposedly fit in the tC's front doors to allow placement of aftermarket speakers, although I'm not sure what size(s). The site says they're for custom fitting of Eu-600 / Eu-630 / Eu-650 midrange drivers, but I have no idea what brand/size speakers those are. I tried looking for more info on the site, but it's very limited. I want to get these for my tC if they will fit the speakers I want.
Then again, I was on this site a while ago (maybe a couple weeks ago), and I could've sworn they had a component baffle set so that you could mount components in the tC. I tried to find that today as well, with no luck. As components are what I'd REALLY like to put up front, this set would be highly desirable.

Anyway, any info anyone has on these baffles (or any comperable ones) it would be very much appreciated. No rush though, as I'm broker than broke right now, and can't even begin to think about buying new speakers etc. for my car.
Yeah, that's what most of us are showing that we made on our own. I made my own and they looks QUITE similar to those. Then just sprayed them with a coat of spray paint to stop them from absorbing water.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

6 3/4"?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member

Alright, so even though the front is 6 1/2 I still need a special bracket/baffle thing to mount it on, or is tha just to fit a larger speaker into the rear? Crutchfield packages some stuff with the speakers, don't know how useful it is though
Old 09-07-2006, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will need some sort of bracket for anything other than stock. the stockers are sorta like rounded off triangles. the actual speaker is round but it's in a piece of plastic. just get some 6 1/2" speakers and buy my adapter rings. same as from crutchfield just cheaper. i bought them from crutchfield for 32 shipped.

as for the questions...yes i used 6 3/4" speakers. and yes i lost the use of my little round defroster vents that don't do much anyway, besides i live in columbia, sc and i park i a garage, i don't ever use defrost even in the winter on the rare occasions when we get frost or ice.

oh yea...yanki...what the heck is a 'tweet' spot?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

buy those MDF spacers from elementaldesigns.com!