Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

motorizing the radio cover door & real aluminum dash pi

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default motorizing the radio cover door & real aluminum dash pi

Ok, the one thing that really bugs me is that flimsy plastic radio cover you have to open & close every time you go somewhere. As hard as you have to press on it to get it open tells me it's only a matter of time before it will break.

There is plenty of room above the radio and around the vents, it wouldn't be that hard to get a electric actuator/piston/motor and build a mount so the door can smoothly swing. And then wire up a switch so you can manual open & close it, but also have it open and close when you turn on the ignition.

So... who wants to be the first person to make this mod work

Another thing I am looking into is getting a radio cover door made out of real aluminum and also real aluminum trim pieces to replace the silver painted pieces running down the center console. If I can't get the motor setup working, I can at least have a more durable aluminum door
Old 08-11-2004, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not just leave it open all the time?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that motorizing the plastic might be overkill, buuuut if you were going to get aluminum trim and an aluminum cover, it would probably not only work better but look really cool. I'd be totally into that.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Why not just let the thieves see your LCD screen...
Old 08-11-2004, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I leave mine open pretty much all the time......either way if thieves are gunna break in there gunna open it. it just entices them to want to look under if its closed. Thats just me.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member

The average thief wont break into a car unless they see something worth breaking into the car for… a thief going shopping wouldn't give it another thought unless you had other stuff inside the car that would give him a reason to take a closer look.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion

on another note, i'd LOVE to see a real aluminum/brushed aluminum kit to replace the silver plastic pieces...
Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the silver interior plastic is really the cheapest thing on the car...i'm pretty **** about the interior..no eating etc..and the silver is already starting to scuff off in a few spots along the waterfall...just when i think i've found a sweet spot that will open the cover on the first try..that spot goes dead..so i end up clicking it three or four times to get it open...at this rate the silver on the door will be gone within the year..hopefully some companies will come out with some kits...the Volvo S40 has an even better dash waterfall and you can opt for aluminum,wood,or translucent..maybe something like that would be cool.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GrungeFactory
who in the hell wants to steal a stock scion deck? haha wtf..
Old 08-11-2004, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by larry flint

who ever said his deck was stock?
maybe he's got a double-din stereo w/ 7" monitor in there or something...
Old 08-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned
SL Member

My Rx-8 was awesome..the GPS was on top of the dash you just touch a **** and it pops up......that was perfect...no pushing or tapping
Old 08-11-2004, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member

"There is plenty of room above the radio and around the vents, it wouldn't be that hard to get a electric actuator/piston/motor and build a mount so the door can smoothly swing. And then wire up a switch so you can manual open & close it, but also have it open and close when you turn on the ignition."

And you don't think a thief will see that and say "hmm, I wonder what's under there". I'd say that's even OVER overkill. How bout you just give me the money you'd spend on that setup?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member

"There is plenty of room above the radio and around the vents, it wouldn't be that hard to get a electric actuator/piston/motor and build a mount so the door can smoothly swing. And then wire up a switch so you can manual open & close it, but also have it open and close when you turn on the ignition."

And you don't think a thief will see that and say "hmm, I wonder what's under there". I'd say that's even OVER overkill. How bout you just give me the money you'd spend on that setup?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey man, when you're on crack, you'll try to sell anything to feed the habit. know what i mean? some people don't know/care that it's a stock deck.

I would love to see a more durable waterfall kit... however an aluminum one would suck as it would get scratched up pretty fast, even though it'd look really nice for the first.. week. maybe some company will make a black one with silver trim? yummy
Old 08-11-2004, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an aluminum door put a lot of undue heat in that compartment while parked???
Old 08-11-2004, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think the radio cover is flimsy..but hey u can't expect everything. I'm just happy that there's a cover in the first place. Even the expensive newer Navigator have the same push open plastic cover for the radio ...

IMO ... aluminum cover will be nice..but an overkill...not to mention the heat it will contain and even harm the radio in the long run.

I don't have ne trouble opening my cover...i just tap it and it opens smoothly. maybe u guys need to break it in...
Old 08-11-2004, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The same person who wants to steal scion stock rims...

Old 08-11-2004, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Instead of a motorized door, how about just a solenoid controlled latch. The spring loaded opener and damper seem to work fine. Tapping on the damn door is what's going to break it. The solenoid might be an easier mod than a motor.

I've had the dash apart and looked at the latching gizmo, it's covered in what looks like white litium grease. I wonder if going to something a little less viscous (like petrolium jelly) would make it toggle easier.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: motorizing the radio cover door & real aluminum dash

Ok, the one thing that really bugs me is that flimsy plastic radio cover you have to open & close every time you go somewhere. As hard as you have to press on it to get it open tells me it's only a matter of time before it will break.

There is plenty of room above the radio and around the vents, it wouldn't be that hard to get a electric actuator/piston/motor and build a mount so the door can smoothly swing. And then wire up a switch so you can manual open & close it, but also have it open and close when you turn on the ignition.

Another thing I am looking into is getting a radio cover door made out of real aluminum and also real aluminum trim pieces to replace the silver painted pieces running down the center console. If I can't get the motor setup working, I can at least have a more durable aluminum door
What an incredible waste of money that would be.

While you're at it, why not install a pneumatic piston to engage and disengage the hand brake for you... after all, it's so much work to pull it up and down...

For the amount of money that would cost, you could get a highflow cat or a nice start on a complete exhaust system... why would you want a motorized door over your radio?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: motorizing the radio cover door & real aluminum dash

Originally Posted by neverspeakawordagain

What an incredible waste of money that would be.

While you're at it, why not install a pneumatic piston to engage and disengage the hand brake for you... after all, it's so much work to pull it up and down...

For the amount of money that would cost, you could get a highflow cat or a nice start on a complete exhaust system... why would you want a motorized door over your radio?
actually... small motors like those dont cost much at all. hardly a nice start on even just a fart can, much less a full performance exhaust system. let him do what he wants to do with his car.
god forbid a person should be unique on this board. lol

Quick Reply: motorizing the radio cover door & real aluminum dash pi