Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

motorizing the radio cover door & real aluminum dash pi

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member

I'd think all you would need was to get a 2-way motor, cut a cam and an arm and that would be about it. The worst part would be securing the motor and trial + error.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the amount of money that would cost, you could get a highflow cat or a nice start on a complete exhaust system... why would you want a motorized door over your radio?
No actually you couldn't I could probably do this for less than $100, probably less than $50.

The only probalems would be my unfamiliarity with the tC's wiring. I imagine I'd need to step down the volatges for the small dc motors. and the fact I don't have a tC.

Hey I built a little gizmo that drops the toilet seat back down after you flush. Cost $25 in parts and about 4 hours on a slow weekend. My girlfreind was amused until I modded it to play the "Imperial March" when you sat on the seat.

That got annoying real fast.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: motorizing the radio cover door & real aluminum dash

Originally Posted by neverspeakawordagain
What an incredible waste of money that would be.

While you're at it, why not install a pneumatic piston to engage and disengage the hand brake for you... after all, it's so much work to pull it up and down...

For the amount of money that would cost, you could get a highflow cat or a nice start on a complete exhaust system... why would you want a motorized door over your radio?
Because I can, who the hell are you to tell me how to spend my money on my car?

Why don't you just tell everybody out there modding their car that they shouldn't enjoy it, because somebody else thinks they are wasting money.

Fortunately unlike you, I can afford to do more than one thing on my car and not have to limit myself.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by sTalking_Goat
No actually you couldn't I could probably do this for less than $100, probably less than $50.

The only probalems would be my unfamiliarity with the tC's wiring. I imagine I'd need to step down the volatges for the small dc motors. and the fact I don't have a tC.

Hey I built a little gizmo that drops the toilet seat back down after you flush. Cost $25 in parts and about 4 hours on a slow weekend. My girlfreind was amused until I modded it to play the "Imperial March" when you sat on the seat.

That got annoying real fast.
wow...u're an inventor? u should patent it and sell the automated toilet seat. u never know. it might become the next big thing for household toilets since the auto flusher.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow...u're an inventor? u should patent it and sell the automated toilet seat. u never know. it might become the next big thing for household toilets since the auto flusher.
I wish.

Its not really an invetion. The parts are easily available. anyone could slap it togther.

I put a contact switch on flush handle. pushing the handle down pushes the switch together. its connected to a breadboard with a chip that does a 5 second delay. The chip triggers a little motor plunger thing thats mounted on the tank with duct tape. When you put the toilet seat up it rests on the small plunger, when the plunger is triggered it gives the seat a little punch that causes it to fall down. The whole thing is powered by one of thos big 12V flashlight batteries.

I suppose I could try selling if, people by all kinds of crazy stuff. The hardest part would be making it into a neat little package.

The Imperial march thing was mostly parts left over from one of my projects at work. A pressure sensor and curciut board with built in speaker that can play polyphonic tones (like ina cellphone.)
Old 08-12-2004, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion

i used to have brushed aluminum trim in my gti - the real kind, not just the "real brushed aluminum (stick on) trim". had it well over a year and no noticeable scratches. so to those that say they scratch easily - well, i dont really have anything mean to say, just saying that it's plenty durable.

that is one of the only things i was disappointed with in the scion - we drove an xA as a loaner until the tC came in, and i was surprised/disappointed to see the silver plastic on the door panels flaking off to reveal the white plastic underneath.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member

hey GrungeFactory dude i totally agree with you, i thought the same thing, i wanna buy a gps system and replace it with the stereo, and it woul dhave been much better to have the cover connected to the ignition, you turn it on it opens up and turn it off it comes down, i saw it on a website but i do not remember the link right now and i am still looking for it, that someone did that actually and was selling it about 20 30 bucks. hope i can find that website and share it with you guys
Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did not read every post in this thread.. but there is a kit already to motorize the radio door... tcover.net works great.. it is a non distructive kit... meaning you can remove it and put it back to stock.. the newer versions have a few neat features for show... i have had mine on now for almost 6 months with no problem..
Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

^^they're charging an extra 25 for the "every ten seconds" feature

It was overpriced to begin with
Old 02-01-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Wow... this was resurected from the dead.... There are many TCover posts and everyone who has them, loves them... and for the price, and quality of construction... it's a great buy...

For more info... please search.