Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

My Amp is Retarted.....No power???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My Amp is Retarted.....No power???

I was driving to school today . i turned on my fog lights then suddenly my music cut off again(2nd time this happened). the sub was producing sound and bass. i turned off my car turned it back on went to the back i realized that the amp was not receiving power? the lights were on but it wasnt doing anything. So when i got home i took off the power cable to my sub amp. then when i turned on the music again the speakers work. could it be because im running without a capacitor.

Im running a Pioneer F90Bt , Kicker KX350.2, Rockford Sub dont remember model and a 4 way amp i power my speakers with. In 08 Scion tc

I am really confused about what happened it happened before than hasnt happened in a really long time last time it happened i went like a day without music then the next day it turned on again. what could be the problem ?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check all your cables can grounds make sure nothing is loose
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ agreed. Wiring might be faulty. I run the same as you but a bit more powerful setup and I have no issues at all. Use a DMM to check everything twice over.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
SL Member

It's spelled 'retarded' just to let you know for next time.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drivexB
It's spelled 'retarded' just to let you know for next time.
x2.. i was going to point that out also. lol
Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

http://tinyurl.com/y7lbadg

1st search result should be good enough, afterwards check your wiring with a DMM as already mentioned.

A kicker amp will not power on or will intermittently power on if it has a poor ground or loose remote wire. If you're popping fuses, particularly your fog light fuse, chances are you have a wiring issue.

Who did your install?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
http://tinyurl.com/y7lbadg

1st search result should be good enough, afterwards check your wiring with a DMM as already mentioned.

A kicker amp will not power on or will intermittently power on if it has a poor ground or loose remote wire. If you're popping fuses, particularly your fog light fuse, chances are you have a wiring issue.

Who did your install?

whoops didn't realize that i spelled retarded wrong.... but my kicker amp doesn't turn off its the amp that power up my speakers. i checked my ground. the kicker ground is grounded behind my driver side back row where those hinges are. same as my other amp its grounded in the middle back row hinges where you can pop up and there's a bolt there.

i just remembered that my fog lights are grounded in the same place possibly for my head unit .. i think? but is it a bad thing to ground 2 thiings in the same place?

Last edited by namesrooster; 04-15-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: more information
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by namesrooster
whoops didn't realize that i spelled retarded wrong.... but my kicker amp doesn't turn off its the amp that power up my speakers. i checked my ground. the kicker ground is grounded behind my driver side back row where those hinges are. same as my other amp its grounded in the middle back row hinges where you can pop up and there's a bolt there.

i just remembered that my fog lights are grounded in the same place possibly for my head unit .. i think? but is it a bad thing to ground 2 thiings in the same place?
Your amp doesn't turn off? That means the remote wire for the amp is going to a source that is 12v constant and not a 12v accessory source.

Your grounding source is probably fine, if you switch your DMM to continuity and check, while it may not be the best ground, it will certainly suffice.

A good ground is one that has low resistance to the Earth at radio frequencies, as long as they can accomplish that it's fine.