Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

need audiophiles advice regarding tweeter placement

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default need audiophiles advice regarding tweeter placement

My audio system is almost complete...well, in my head anyway.

I think it might have been here on SL where I've read that the stock speaker placement up front is not all that great. Whenever I get around to ordering my components, I was thinking of cutting a hole in the a-pillars and placing the tweeters right here. (I borrowed a picture from BrEaK_AwaY's a-pillar DIY )

I don't have the airbags up there, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. Basically, on the lower part of the a-pillar. Almost parallel to the rounded side vents on each corner of the dash. Is that a good place for the tweeters to go? Or would the sound travel not even be worth it? Should I just mount the tweeters in the stock location and just not sweat it?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:37 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm.. i have a friend that mounted it on the plastic that covers where the side mirrors are..

props to Rich in San Diego.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if youre asking a audiophile then that placement isnt that great. the tweeter should be as close to the woofer as posible. this means having a kickpod with a woofer and tweeter close together. having them far apart messes with the soundstage or something like that. to be honest though i probably wouldnt notice the difference.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That works for me. I don't want to do any more work than I want to regarding placement of the speakers. Stock location is good for now.

I also have another question regarding components. Where the heck has everyone mounted their crossovers? I was thinking of running them all the way to the trunk. Some people even put them in the doors. Where's a good place?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by reagulator
if youre asking a audiophile then that placement isnt that great. the tweeter should be as close to the woofer as posible. this means having a kickpod with a woofer and tweeter close together. having them far apart messes with the soundstage or something like that. to be honest though i probably wouldnt notice the difference.
Most audiophiles would indeed say that, but I've played around with the placement of the tweeters in my cars, and some of the best sound staging I've heard (which is the only person it's really important to, since its my car) has come from ssetting the tweets up close to the dash. I haven't done it on this car, but in my cherokee, having the tweet up on the a pillar, and the midbass in the door was fantastic. Ialways got compliments even from people who compete, mentioning how clear and warm it sounded.

My best piece of advice is, temp wire the speakers, and attach them with velcro or some other temp measure, and decide where they sound best according to your ears. It doesn't matter where any book or audiophile or judge tells you the correct place is to mount them, it matters where they sound best to you.

If you gow tithe side view mirror trim piece, PM harmonic_tc, he actually makes pods for that spot. I'm sure he'd be willing to make a set for you if you like.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine are in those little air vents on the dash. The tweeter should be close to the woofer but if your tweeters play down low like the A/D/S px concept tweeters they sound great were I have them. These imo are the best money can buy. They were like 500.00 a pair when they forst came out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-D-S-PX-concept...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-21-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have a set of tweets from my components in the stock location, and a set in the pillar, torwards the middle which only play mids. looking back, i wish i had them placed a little higher up. i like the location they're in, but if i end up getting a pillar pod, i'll put them higher-closer to ear level. anyways, here's what i did with em:

Old 06-21-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From an audiophile perspective, the most important thing you can do in car audio is equalize your path lengths. Try to get the both the left & right speakers equidistant from you and as far away as possible. This is why most serious competitors use kick panels, which often produce the best results.

Mounting tweeters on the dash, A-pillars or sail panels places one tweeter much closer to you than the other, and while that can be resolved by delaying the sound from the closest speaker, doing so degrades the sound for any/all other listening positions.

It is almost always best to mount the mid & tweet as close together as possible, but if you really can't or don't want to, some of the issues can be addressed using different crossovers. When mids & tweets are close together, a steep filter slope is generally preferred, and passive crossovers included with seperates are typically 2nd order, 12dB/Oct. When mounting the mid & tweeter far apart, it's often better to use just a first order low-pass filter on the mid, as this can make it more difficult to localize the location, making it sound more compatible with the remote tweeter.