Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need help determining amount and placement of sound deadener.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need help determining amount and placement of sound deadener.

i know there is probably a thousand posts on this, but I can't seem to find them. I'm looking at deadening the inside of the tC to the point where it's like a lexus. I have found this so far:

30 sq. ft. for the floor.

5 sq. ft. per layer on the doors. I did 2 layers on the outer skin, none on the inner skin as I may be doing some mods soon. I also laid 1 layer of v3 on the back of the door panels.

12 sq. ft. per layer on the rear quarter panel. As this is a huge sheet of metal, I did 2 layers here.

8 sq. ft. for the front half of each rear wheel well. I triple layered these as this was where most of the road noise came in.

30 sq. ft. for the entire hatch floor(including the back ½ of the wheel wells). I did not do the actual hatch as I didn’t want to cover the wires there…plus I’ve got some thoughts for stuff I may put in there later, didn’t want to deal w/ eDead on it.

Total eDead v1SE for a tC = 120 sq. ft.

But I'm not sure If i need all that for the material I am going with. I would love to use Second skin, damplifier pro and luxury liner pro, but that sheeeit is expensive. So maybe use the pro stuff at the noisiest areas? and then the normal stuff on the floor? Idk, I dont want to be spending millions of dollars. the guy above spent 144 on edead... My budget is maybe 250 max, but i can push it a little more.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I used half a gallon of the Elemental Designs liquid deadener in the back of the car floor,and side panels......

then for the doors,floor,back hatch,1/4panels,hatch,and a few other areas used 120' of .080 deadener.

Noticable improvement over stock interior sound for road noise,but still could of been better,the interior panels could of gotten some,headliner and behind Cpillars could of been done.......perhaps 30 more feet would do it up nicely.

so perhaps budget 150' of deadener......as for budget it can be done,shipping is usually the part that eats up money.