Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New Kenwood DDX7017 installed w/ some pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it opens and closes just fine. never a problem.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Derrickfernlea
I imagine the whole face of the unit moves for CD access. My question on this product is how does it move and is there clearances around the radio areas when it moves. I'm thinking about getting this product for it's navigation features and I ask this because the unit looks recessed in the area. Also, was concern about the radio door function and any interferences between both as well. Thanks.
the whole face unit slides down and out, exposing the cd slot at the top of the hu.

I will try to get a pic tomorrow morning before I head off to work.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member

Looks great at night, but did you have to fabricate an installation kit for the double din unit to fit properly?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no just use the same brakets the OEM HU had. It's easy to install.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Derrickfernlea
I imagine the whole face of the unit moves for CD access. My question on this product is how does it move and is there clearances around the radio areas when it moves. I'm thinking about getting this product for it's navigation features and I ask this because the unit looks recessed in the area. Also, was concern about the radio door function and any interferences between both as well. Thanks.
Here you go. This is how is opens up.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fm_Tc_In_Ma

Here you go. This is how is opens up.

Oh I see now. It appears to work pretty well without binding or interference. Great!
Now does the radio door open and close the same way? Is the door flushed when its closed?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh I see now. It appears to work pretty well without binding or interference. Great!
Now does the radio door open and close the same way? Is the door flushed when its closed?
The tC radio cover should if you modifly the OEM mounting bracket. If you don't the top part of the HU hit's the radio cover. So it can be flush but some extra work is needed. Not to hard but you need to make new mounting holes on the OEM bracket. That's why i'm waiting for someone to post pic's so i know where to make those holes. I can do it my self but i rather see what other people have done already and work from there. Why reinvent the wheel?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's your rating on this unit?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy
Its my first aftermarket HU I have ever bought, so I think its great. I do think its a great radio for the price, considering what other HU's go for.

I wish that it had some sort of animated display or graphics while songs played though.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm very satisfied with this unit, except it doesn't have "random folder" function like stock HU.

Though I can watch a DVD while driving, I try not to... too dangerous.

With this HU, i can fit 4.3Gig worth of music in DVD-ROM and just let it play (mp3). no need to change CDs constantly. That's what I like about this unit the best ^^

Gotta make some more DVDs (I convert avi or dvix to DVD)...just can't find any free time to do so...oh well....
Old 07-11-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For someone just looking for music radio/cd's it's over kill. Not saying it's a bad thing but it's great if you want to have many great things in your car. I got my ps2 & custom xbox in it. I'll will be adding the review camara. And the i love the sound that comes out. On the other hand you need to be a sound guro if you want to play with a custom equlizer.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fm_Tc_In_Ma
Originally Posted by Zero-X
Originally Posted by Zero-X
Can you close the radio cover all the way down? I also have the 8017 and i only used the two brakets the OEM headunit came with.
Maybe i should read your post before i post a stupid reply. Well when you make the holes and get the Radio cover to close fulling please post Pics. Also pic's of where you made the holes. Becuase i've been busy with other tC projects that i just left the HU alone for now.
I haevnt done it yet, but I heard that if you drill the holes where the dimples are in the brackets, then the cover should work like it normally does.
you drill out the dimples to allow the bracket to sit flat, to get the lid to close you just drill a hole out slightly behind the ones the factory stero uses. I just enlongated the holes on my brackets, but then ended up payin like $20 and getting new brackets to do it a little better. I don't have any pics and I cant take my center consoel out very easily due to my tCover harnesses. but it's not that hard at all. I did have a bit of a fittment prob with the next track button though, every time I manually closed it it would go to the next track but that's why the tCover rocks