Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New to systems. What should i get!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default New to systems. What should i get!

I'm graduating highschool in june and was looking into getting a sub for a gift. idont want to spend any more than 450. I was checking out crutchfield and found this alpine system http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8yUiCVB...0&I=700ALPPKG2. Is this system any good? do you think 2 12's is two much bass? I was also thinking about just getting one 12 inch rockford fostgate sub http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8yUiCVB...10&I=575PL2112 but i dont now what amp to buy with it. Do you think its better to buy one of the kits that comes with everything? Also Can i hook it up to my stock head unit?

Thank
Old 05-12-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like you just want a run of the mill stereo system... drop crutchfield (overpriced, allthough you get great customer service)..... Look at Elemental Design's products... they're absolutely AMAZING products for the prices!! each product they have, I think, is the best for the price that you can get..... www.edesignaudio.com

eD is a ScionLife sponsor and "mandos" on here is a sales rep for them. You can PM him if you have any questions or want to know about package pricing.

All you need to hook up a sub to a stock radio is an amplifier wiring kit and a Line Output Converter (unless your amp has high level inputs)...
Old 05-14-2006, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

go with kicker. get that one 10 in the kicker box. its only like about 200 maybe a few dollar more. looks awesome great sound with a name you can trust and go with a simple amp like viper. if you want pm me. i got stuff for sale
Old 05-14-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i gotta alpine trpe r 12 hooked up with a jl audio 500.1 and this thing is LOUD!!!
save money and get 1 good sub, instead of 2 cheap ones
it also depends on what kind of music u listen to, dont go rockford if u listen to anything else besides rap

i love my type r cuz you wanna have that day to be ballin with a lotta bump, and u wanna have that day to be listening to alotta other stuff
Old 05-14-2006, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

id go wit 2 mmats pro 12's wit 2 mmat 2channel amps and jl audio componets reall good system hell b hittin hard decibals
Old 05-14-2006, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member

the alpine type r 12 and the amp where did you buy it from and what kind of box do you have? Also i listen to alot of d club music, and some rap. I'm really looking for 1 12 because of the lack of trunk the tC has.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to thread jack, but I searched and couldn't find the exact model that was told, but does anyone know offhand which HU was the one that out-of-the-box supports 06 steering wheel controls? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any "new" eclipse headunits should support ur steering wheel controls. search for eclipse
Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's what I think you should do:

Dont take any advice from anyone in a forum about what speaker you should get. Go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter, and any local audio shop. Listen to everything and get a feel for what you like. Take some notes on what you've heard. Go to a Scion meet and listen to other people's setups... that would be ideal!

Once you know what you want... come back on the forum and make your case. Typically, you can buy things online for half what they are in the store, so budget yourself that way... and you're most likely going to spend more than your budget because that is how things work.

If none of that works for you: Get a hifonics amp off ebay and use the other $250 to get something like IDMAX or JL Audio W6 or Alpine Type-X. Then increase your budget to buy wires and a box.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with caedel^^^ but if you dont have the time to do that just look on ebay for stuff or online retailers..... Do not buy your stuff from best buy or circuit city... its a total rip off..... i got a custom jl 3v2 and the 500.1 amp shipped for 350.... the sub blew cuz i enjoy pushing the limits and the sub was only for 300rms compared to the amp at 500, but i went to a local dealer and got a (1) type r with a custom alpine box for 209, my head unit cost 225 shipped from the internet and its a pioneer 6800 so if you take my route, it will be around 700 not installed, also from experience ^^ id only buy an amp from ebay....

2 subs are overrated unless you dont want to enjoy the music and only hear the base.... i like the same kind of music as you so i would say 1 good sub (jl or alpine) would deff make you happy