Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Nexus 7 in tC 1G?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Nexus 7 in tC 1G?

Has anyone tried to custom retro fit a Nexus 7 tablet into their double din unit space? These are the measurements I have found so far:

Double Din : 7x 4in
Nexus 7 : 7.8x 4.2in
Kindle Fire HD: 7.6x5.4in
Galaxy Tab 7.0+: 7.6x4.8in

I made a paper cut out of all of these sizes and it seems the long side of the nexus 7 would be the closest fit. The Kindle Fire HD and GalTab7.0 are too tall (greater than 4.2 inches), and the the Nexus 7 just barely squeezes in there, with about 1 or 2mm gap all around. Of course this could be the paper flexing when I was testing it…

It seems like it would fit perfectly, if the tablet is installed behind the little rubber feet on our radio cover door…

Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same idea as you, I was going to take out my head unit all together and just replace it with an EQ, I have seen a few builds with the Nexus 7, but none in a Tc. There is one guy that is doing it with an Fr-s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSA0_5D46Dk
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah that's the video that gave me the same idea! After I saw it I knew I wanted to do the same!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Jar

I'm currently entertaining the idea. I've gone so far as buying a bluetooth module to plug into the AUX IN and velcro-ing the nexus to the radio cover for testing the automation of it all. Right now, it's all very preliminary, but promising.

I had originally intended to wait for the Nexus 7 pogo dock and molding it into the dash, but right now it seems like vaporware.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jar
I'm currently entertaining the idea. I've gone so far as buying a bluetooth module to plug into the AUX IN and velcro-ing the nexus to the radio cover for testing the automation of it all. Right now, it's all very preliminary, but promising.

I had originally intended to wait for the Nexus 7 pogo dock and molding it into the dash, but right now it seems like vaporware.
In your setup, you would still require the aux input to go through the original head unit right?

What i'm trying to do is completely replace the factory head unit... but after doing some more research, i think another issue to consider is how to get the audio to route to the 4 speakers and subwoofer from the micro usb/mhl connection...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Jar

Originally Posted by tangsta35
In your setup, you would still require the aux input to go through the original head unit right?

What i'm trying to do is completely replace the factory head unit... but after doing some more research, i think another issue to consider is how to get the audio to route to the 4 speakers and subwoofer from the micro usb/mhl connection...
Yes. I've left the factory head unit. I still have the steering wheel controls for volume and I can listen to the radio if I want.

For me, it didn't make sense to get rid of it. You'll have to buy an amp and wire it all in if you intend to.

There are DAC's that work with the Nexus 7 if you want to output audio via USB, but if I remember right the N7 has to be rooted and I think charging was an issue. Bluetooth was much simpler.

Oh, and pics...

I just removed the radio cover, and placed the N7 in the hole.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 PM

I did this in a slightly different way, I did it without removing the radio door. Yes it's not as clean, but I'm fine with it. One of my cars was broken into and now I will always keep the radio door closed. Here is my original topic:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1992866

Here is the image gallery:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnzhlkzt0241dbj/-oRn12YgRC

I added a USB charging cale behind the radio, Ill post more pics of it today.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jar
Yes. I've left the factory head unit. I still have the steering wheel controls for volume and I can listen to the radio if I want.

For me, it didn't make sense to get rid of it. You'll have to buy an amp and wire it all in if you intend to.

There are DAC's that work with the Nexus 7 if you want to output audio via USB, but if I remember right the N7 has to be rooted and I think charging was an issue. Bluetooth was much simpler.

Oh, and pics...

I just removed the radio cover, and placed the N7 in the hole.

Thanks for sharing the info: I have some questions ?...been off the site for awhile and upgrading some items here and there and that tablet is nice. Was it hard to remove the cover ? Do you charge your tablet or do you basically take it with you and charge daily ? I was wondering especially on a road trip to charge it while using it. I have an 07 and use my phone with a BT reciever and its good but would love to use the tablet look.

Also as long as my phone is rooted i can use google maps probably easier to use than a phone when driving...

Thanks for responding...

Joseph
Old 12-19-2012, 10:30 PM

What I did was buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088U4YAG

And i hid it behind my stereo, so it charges my Nexus and S3.
Attached Thumbnails Nexus 7 in tC 1G?-dsc_4565.jpg   Nexus 7 in tC 1G?-dsc_4566.jpg   Nexus 7 in tC 1G?-dsc_4567.jpg   Nexus 7 in tC 1G?-dsc_4568.jpg   Nexus 7 in tC 1G?-dsc_4569.jpg  

Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for another alternative...I think the question was how did you run the cables to keep it clean looking. It looks like you ran the wire from the center and then squeezed it in. Since our OEM radios are tight that seems to be the dilemma.If you removed and create a housing then you can tap into the cigarette lighter...Just me thinking..I mean this really does make life easy since I want to use to stream music and use the gps instead of my cellphone. And maybe look at a double din cover to keep it looking sock..Another crazy idea would be to mod the OEM cover to go as a cap on the radio to avoid someone thinking its a tablet...

Keep you posted...thanks for sharing..right now fighting to get leds in my headlights and major pain in the but !!

Joseph
Old 12-25-2012, 08:24 PM

This is my set up.....I've had it for a while....I just got an ipad mini , so ima change to that instead since its smaller...
Here is the link for vid....

http://youtu.be/cSkvTi10pdw
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for sharing...interesting concept..Im trying to keep it OEM looking..
Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Jar

Originally Posted by joseph33012
Thanks for another alternative...I think the question was how did you run the cables to keep it clean looking. It looks like you ran the wire from the center and then squeezed it in. Since our OEM radios are tight that seems to be the dilemma.If you removed and create a housing then you can tap into the cigarette lighter...Just me thinking..I mean this really does make life easy since I want to use to stream music and use the gps instead of my cellphone. And maybe look at a double din cover to keep it looking sock..Another crazy idea would be to mod the OEM cover to go as a cap on the radio to avoid someone thinking its a tablet...

Keep you posted...thanks for sharing..right now fighting to get leds in my headlights and major pain in the but !!

Joseph
I couldn't get the OEM cover to remain in place without doing a lot of cutting of the bezel, so I abandoned the idea altogether and simply removed it. It only had six screws if I remember correctly.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM

I just wanted to say that I have done this. Here is a short video. I will make another one later.
Video Link.

Let me know what you think. There are definitely some more modifications needed, like adding pogo pins for charging, but it fits nearly perfect after removing the cover.

I just noticed that someone else figured out that removing the radio's cover makes the Nexus 7 fit perfectly.

Second video with ODBII
video 2 link

Last edited by iskor12; 01-07-2013 at 03:05 PM.