Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Nice midbass components

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thems hairy arms for a girl. I got some infinity perfects.. absolutely no mid bass..
Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rocketgyrl
HLCDs?!? I hope they're from Image Dynamics!
No, I have an original set of USD/Speakerworks hand-laid fiberglass models, which were made back in '91, before they went to their "roto-mount" design. I've also built my own custom prototypes, with a flare and expansion rate all my own. I also use different compression drivers, depending on which amps I'm using and the midbass configuration..

I'm familiar with the Image Dynamics products, but can't justify spending more when I already have so much equipment. All my stuff is from the late '80's to mid 90's, as I've been at this a long time, having done my first install back in '77.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

VERY COOL! :D No doubt horns are amazing when properly designed and tuned...We were lucky enough to meet Bruce Edgar at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a few years ago. Matt and I feel the Avant Garde Duos are about as good as it gets.

What's the rest of your system look like?

Matt used to have a pair of ID CD2 full body horns powered by a 6 watt, class A all tube amp from TRU Technology. Sadly, the car was sold shortly after he had it dialed in. It was sweet though! The rest of it was a Denon CD player, Image Dynamics signal processors, Dynaudio mids and a Velodyne subwoofer.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rocketgyrl
What's the rest of your system look like?
Right now I still consider it a work in progress, as I'm still deciding what I ultimately want to do with it. For the moment I've only done a minor upgrade of the stock system;

Stock HU to Scosche SLC4 LOC, using twisted-pair RCAs to the hatch
Audio Control EPICenter (a fun device to play with the bass)
Sony XEC-500 Crossover (80Hz 2nd order Bessel HP, 80Hz 3rd order Chebechev LP)
Audio Control ESP-2 (soundstaging/imaging processor)
Sony XM-2022 Amp powering stock front door speakers but will upgrade soon)
Rockford 2600x Series 1 Amp powering Bostom Acoustics Rally Series RS104 in a .75' sealed & stuffed 3/4" MDF enclosure.

I took some pics, so you can see some of it using these links;

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w.../10x7_rack.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w.../10x7_open.jpg

One of the amps shown decided to fry last weekend, and was replaced with the old Sony. Also not shown is the crossover, which was added to the right corner of the rack. By the way, this isn't intended to be for competition, I just wanted something for myself that didn't consume much/any hatch space.

Once I get the system completed (may take a while, as I work slow) with the Rockford RFA-64 midbass in the doors or KPs and the underdash HLCDs (considering tweeters for the A-pillars too, but only playing >10kHz), I'll make a thread and post lots of pics.

And in case you're wondering where the rest of the capacitor is, that's just a quarter farad.