Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Part info needed for radio door leaf spring...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Part info needed for radio door leaf spring...

So something went weird the other night when I closed my radio door. I have to admit, I use the hell out of it since I have a stealth install and like to keep everything out of sight. Well, when I got home the other night, I closed the door like I usually do and heard a slight metal twanging noise...like a piece of metal being flexed and released. Definitely a WTF moment. I finally got the time tonight to take out the center control panel and the radio door leaf spring was totally missing. I can only assume it broke and shot off somewhere deep in the recesses under the dashboard.

My question is this...Does anyone have knowledge of this being a readily available part? If so, is there a part number or does it relate to the larger part of the center control panel? This is such an obscure piece I don't even know where to start looking for a replacement. I'm half tempted to just call the dealership and ask for it to be fixed since the car is still under warranty, but I'd rather not go through the hassle since it looks to be a pretty quick fix.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ditto for me. Mine was a result of me being a little too careless on one occasion of removing the center console for some install or another. The leaf spring fell off, and not only did it fall off, but it fell within a crack somewhere under the gear shift housing base. So there's really no humanly-possible way for me to get to it now. dax11 - I'll keep you posted if I run into info on where to obtain a new one. I'm thinking of scouring some junkyards if I can pinpoint any with tCs. Anyone else - if you have any info, man we'd love it. :D Cheers!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're probably not going to like this news but...I found out from my local dealership that the leaf spring for the radio door is not available as an individual part. It's actually sold as part of the overall radio door assembly. Boooo. Instead of paying $126 for a new door, I brought my Scion in for service and told them the radio door was broken. Covered under warranty and fixed at no cost to me. I'll definitely be a hell of a lot more careful though in the future when it comes to removing that whole assembly. I just wish I could find out where the clip went to...
Old 04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by daxII
You're probably not going to like this news but...I found out from my local dealership that the leaf spring for the radio door is not available as an individual part. It's actually sold as part of the overall radio door assembly. Boooo. Instead of paying $126 for a new door, I brought my Scion in for service and told them the radio door was broken. Covered under warranty and fixed at no cost to me. I'll definitely be a hell of a lot more careful though in the future when it comes to removing that whole assembly. I just wish I could find out where the clip went to...
Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I doubt I'll replace the whole thing for that amount of cash, just to give that radio door a "spring in its step" (mine is out of warranty now). :D I'm thinking at some point I'll put more effort into finding out about junkyards where possible "broken" tCs are living nowadays, and see if I can't retrieve one from there. In the meantime, the door still opens after doing a slight toggle touch of the top of the door and then bottom a couple of times. Even that way it's still kinda neat.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, when mine was broken, it wasn't too bad to deal with. I actually kind of got used to doing the little toggle move to get it open! :D