Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

PICS! My Mid Panel Speakers, and some templates for you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nothing is really plug n play unless you get the speaker harness from crutchfield.com or another site. And it you dont want to spend too much money, the best upgrade is to get a front component set (tweeters and speakers) instead of spending the money for 2 sets of coaxials. Dont even bother with the rears as they are just fill. The fronts are whats important.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
Very new to the audio world but the templates and walk through is calling me....i am curious if i keep the stock HU and stock tweeters and just upgrade the speakers front and back...is it worth it??? And what would be good replacements that are just plug and play persay....thanks
I wouldn't recommend upgrading the front speakers with a set of components (comp's) unless you are either adding an amp, or replacing the head unit with something that has really clean power. The stock HU is okay, but if you get a really nice set of comps, the stock HU isn't going to be enough to power the comp's and have them sound good. You won't hurt the speakers any (unless you are underpowering them AND are getting a lot of distortion), but not only will it not sound any better, but it coudl sound worse.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member

I thought the tC had 6 speakers?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

It does.

2 mids in back.

2 mids in front

2 tweets in front
Old 05-01-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

E-designs offers a package with components and baffles, what is the mounting depth on them and what material are they made of?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

The baffles are 3/4" MDF.

The speakers mounting depth is 2.8"
Old 07-16-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

nice work
Old 07-16-2006, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaydub
this was the install from my Civic

I think I'll try to use MDF again but I'll seal it and treat it, because when i took everything out after two years it cracked and fell apart due to the heat here in Vegas.
How do you like the CDTs? I've been thinking about getting them for my TC but I've never heard them in person.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

^^ i wish i had those, but mine are clean!!!! I have the CDT EF-61CFi's powered with the JL 300/2!

Old 07-25-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha, carbon fiber, I like...
Old 07-25-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the templates! they work great man, thats good stuff. :D i'll take some pix of mine, i gotta deaden the door a bit more then i'll post it up. thanks again
Old 07-26-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

post them eujin with your amazing camera!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

errr two questions.

3.3 inches for mounting depth? Is that measuring from sheet metal to the back of the door? Why isnt anyone considering with the window down, as that's obviously pretty important....
I get a little under 2.5" with the window down.

Also, how did you possibly screw the baffle in with bolts and nuts behind them if you cant reach the nuts to stop them from spinning??
Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

this is pretty sweet....
Old 08-31-2006, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The eurosports are not all they are cracked up to be. I went from them to DLS Iridiums and then to Boston Z6. The Iridiums sounded the best with the Z6 close behind and the Eurosport significantly behind them. In my install for the tC I am thinking about going custom using a DLS Prototype midbass 8" if I can fit it without too much work, a Scan speak 4" revelator and LPG tweeters.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member

Default tC Speaker Installation

Excellent advice. Decent install. The rear speakers in the tC just don't do it justice.
But, I was wondering if you could give a clue as to how to remove the panel for the rears. In most Toyotas, you remove the seats, and then pull gently on the panel to unclip it.
This is my first new car (for ME!) in TWENTY YEARS (my last one was a...Hachiroku...)
So, since I have an '85 Corolla, an '85 Celica and an '88 Supra, thing may have changed in 18 years!

If someone could give a hint, it would be appreciated
Old 10-03-2006, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out this post, it shows how to rip just about everything out of your tC...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45238
Old 10-15-2006, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member

Default tC Speaker installation

Yeah, I found that! Good info. I did the rears last week, but I mounted them with Honda baskets I had hanging around. It made the sound a lot better.

I put 5" MB Quarts in the rear. I just made the baffles for the front today. They are not readily available commercially; Crutchfield has an 'adapter', but they didn't look very good, and you can get some Mazda adapters from Metra, but they don't look real good, either.

I made mine from some old melamine shelving I had hanging around, 3/4" thick, and used the template from here. Tomorrow's project!

Thanks for the link, though!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member

Default tC Speaker installation

I dug up my 'spare' pair of MB Quart 6.5 inchers, and set to the task of
drilling the rivets out of the stock speakers. It actually went a lot
better than I had expected.

I made the mounts from some old shelving using the template from
ScionLife; make them just a shade meatier if you do this. In a couple
spots, when you cut the 6-6.25 inch hole for the speakers, it's a little
'thin' in a spot or two, but the design is pretty good!

Also, cut a notch for the wire! Otherwise, you'll have to pinch it
somewhere. I cut about a 1/16" notch and pressed the wiring into it, and then mounted the speaker.

I made a cheesy 'harness' to connect the Quarts to the stock wiring,
mounted the first Quart and went to screw it in.

That's when I noticed the speaker surround was separating from the frame! I knew the older Quarts were notorious for needing to be repaired, but didn't know why. Now I know.

So, I got out my 'Velcro' glue and glued the rubber back to the frame and 'clamped' it with a dozen clothespins. A quick inspection of the second speaker revealed even worse separation!

(As a note, Velcro glue is EXCELLENT! It is made to adhere Velcro strips to more porous materials like Pressboard, etc, but it has a million uses! I used it to repair some broken plastic pieces in my Supra, and even used it to glue the metal clips onto the trim around the doorlocks on the same car. They are notorious for having the clips loosen and fall off, but it's been 2 years and still holding)

While waiting for the glue to dry, I drilled out the second speaker and
mounted the adapter and made up the wiring. By this time it was a little
more than an hour, so I checked and the glue was sufficiently dry to mount the speakers.

So, now I have 5" Quarts in the rear, and 6.5" Quarts in the front, and
what a difference! It sounds pretty good. I have to turn it up a bit more
than with the 'cheap' speakers that came with the car, but the quality is
certainly rewarding!

And, another note: the Quarts I used had a tweeter in them; I left the
factory tweeter in palce and just added the 6'5s complete, since the stock 6.5 is a 4 ohm speaker and the Quarts are 4 ohms overall. Actually, a tweeter appears on the system more as a capacitance, so I don't believe there will be any problems with balancing as far as the stock head unit's amp is concerned. It sounds good!

And, one more little tip: high frequencies are VERY directional, where as lows are not. GENTLY bend the tweeter bracket on the driver's door to face more towards you. It makes a BIG difference! You can also relocate the one on the passenger's door, but because of it's position, it doesn't have to be moved a lot. The highs will be a LOT clearer!

If I decide to upgrade the head unit and add an amp, that's going to have to wait for Spring. It sounds decent enough as is, though!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member

Default tC Speaker Installation

One More thing....the plastic does not extend behind the speakers as on other Toys I have (had) with speakers in the doors. The backs of the speakers are open to the elements that make their way through the window slot, vents, drains, etc.

So, you may want to get some heavy plastic, similar to what is on the door, and some 'goop', and put the plastic behind your nice, prolly expensive replacement speakers.
You can get nice, heavy plastic at any hardware or home supply store. I would think, if you want a nice, shaped piece, you could place it over a 'butter bucket' (one of those tubs margarine comes in) and hit it with a hair dryer to form it a little bit, and then goop it to the door and trap it behind the mounting bracket.

This will keep your nice speakers from getting wet! Esp if they are paper cone, and you may actually be able to remove the connectors when you want to remove them!

Some dielectric grease will aid in trhis, also!

Quick Reply: PICS! My Mid Panel Speakers, and some templates for you.