Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer AVIC-D1 \RB or Pioneer AVIC-D2... a little help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man I wish I could give you more help. I installed mine after reading things on here a lot and came up with that error and nobody really responded too much about what to do, but in messing with things (for another reason) it just stopped happening. It shouldn't matter, but I don't think all of my grounds (parking brake, ground, extra pin... and is there another in there?) are grounded to the same wire. I think there are two going to the same place and one (or maybe two) going to a bolt on the side of the unit. It really shouldn't matter though. Don't know what to say other than make 100% sure that extra pin is pushed all the way in. It's smaller than the other pins on that side and mine needed to be pushed in pretty far.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iowagary
Man I wish I could give you more help. I installed mine after reading things on here a lot and came up with that error and nobody really responded too much about what to do, but in messing with things (for another reason) it just stopped happening. It shouldn't matter, but I don't think all of my grounds (parking brake, ground, extra pin... and is there another in there?) are grounded to the same wire. I think there are two going to the same place and one (or maybe two) going to a bolt on the side of the unit. It really shouldn't matter though. Don't know what to say other than make 100% sure that extra pin is pushed all the way in. It's smaller than the other pins on that side and mine needed to be pushed in pretty far.
well, i'll keep trying then... thanks for your help tho
Old 11-24-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the AVIC-D2 in my car... THats off the HOok...

it hooks up to your ECU... shows you the Slope of the road... How many G's you pull when making turns... Wattage usage of your car... Warns you about your car (EX. my emergency brake leads are loose)...

DrawBacks...
Pioneer is a sneaky @$$ company... you have to buy accessories to make everything work i.e. (Rear View Camera/ DVD tuner) And I really want to hook up the Rear View Camera... that would look SICK!!!

It sits flush, the overall system... however you cannot close your face cover... the Navi gets in the way... so just leave it open cuz i got an alarm... if you dont....maybe you should get one if anything...
Old 11-24-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

u could get the backup camera and lil screen from wally world and jus hook up the camera to ur deck. its like only $99 bucks.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

or you can use any camera powered by a 12V signal and has and RCA out.. i.e. frys.. lol

dvd tuner?
Old 11-24-2006, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

u'rs doesn't close?

I thought that the D1 and the D2 allowed for the scion cover to close???
Old 11-24-2006, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fflores
u'rs doesn't close?

I thought that the D1 and the D2 allowed for the scion cover to close???
the cover will close if you drill the mounting holes 1/4" back on the brackets
Old 11-24-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

with the d2 can u get it to play dvd's or should i just go with the avic-z1?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ehong is right - all you have to do is redrill a hole or two and the cover closes fine. Also, there are gaps around the unit because our stock unit is bigger. People buy the gap filler pieces and I did too, but I couldn't make them work. The unit comes with a bezel and if you dremel off a few mm from the top and bottom it fits.

The D2 doesn't play DVDs without an external player. If you want it to, you could always hook up an external DVD or even a PS2 or something. I didn't care much about that. If you do and have the cash, the Z1 is pretty cool.

Does anyone here have the backup camera in a tC? The cost isn't that much and it sure would be cool, but my problem is there is no great place to mount it. I would love for it to be like... inside the hatch or behind the license plate or something. The first time someone shows me a really solid stealth install, I'm going to go do it.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ehong81
Originally Posted by Golden86
You cant just ground out the parking brake, there are a few more steps with the D2. You also have to re pin the harness and place a pin in the slot above the ground wire, and ground that aswell. Here is a pic form the Avic411 forum

Either find another pioneer harness and get the pin, or pull out your blue power antenna wire and re pin it.

hope this helped
Hey Golden86, maybe you could help me out... i've been trying to get rid of that annoying "parking break error" message... I tried grounding the extra wire and parking break wire into the same ground connection, but it isn't working... please see picture below:

i know it's a mess, but the guys who initially installed my D1 did a weird job. why doesn't this work?? you'll see 3 black wires and the parking break wire all being tapped into the same ground connection.... please help!
Well those blue scotch locks you have there are crap, they don't give you any kind of a solid connection. I would pull them off, and tap and solder the grounds together. It shouldn't be giving you an error if all the proper wires are grounded.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Knock on the door... and well well well... hello mr fedex... I opened the box, and everything looked GREAT!

I'll take pics later tonight!

$750, 4 day delivery, brand new.... FTW!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member