Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Is the Pioneer Premium Audio System a worthy upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default Is the Pioneer Premium Audio System a worthy upgrade?

I have to choose something from the dealership 350$ or less that requires as little installation as possible. So what comes to mind so far is spoiler, and audio system. Is the audio system upgrade worth the 350$ they charge for it? Keeping in mind I probably wouldnt be upgrading to a different HU anyways even if I got stock. Another mod thats better worth the 350$ but that doesnt require a whole lot of installation? (The sales lady wasnt keen when I mentioned springs and rear sway bar, she said theyd probably want to charge me installation for those, but not for something like a spoiler, etc).
Old 07-05-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure how good it is or isn't compared to stock, but can't imagine it'd be enough of an improvement to warrant the $350 they charge for it. Anyone considering spending that much to upgrade the stereo really needs to consider aftermarket, where you'd get a lot more bang for 350 bucks.

Hmm...I see what you said about the springs, but I suppose the sales lady may not be familiar with the associated labor costs. The $350 might cover the cost of springs with installation, so you might want to check. The install charge varies greatly by dealer, as I recall people getting quotes between $120 and $300, just for a TRD spring install at their dealer. Anyway, my dealer charged $199 for the TRD springs and $200 for labor, so you might be able to get the springs w/install for $399 or less like I did. If I had to choose one mod for the tC, had to have the dealer install it, only had $350 to spend, I'd get springs if at all possible.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:11 AM
Scikotics

Anybody else got an opinion on the subject....i'm thinking about getting this option?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member

just for the record i did decide to go for this upgrade, ill let you know how it turns out after i test it some; picking the car up saturday morning
Old 07-19-2007, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member

Default whether or not to get the Premium audio HU

This premium radio really only offer some cool factor over the base radio. The only reason I could see to buy this is that it has pre-amp outputs for adding on extra power which is really needed. This whole thing will snow ball becasue the minute you add more power you will find that the Originl equipment speakers don't sound good with added power. take the base radio and upgrade the speakers with better quality aftermarket speakers. Sound deadoning material also helps please consider that too.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member

yep the only reason I chose it as an upgrade was because it was really the only upgrade theyd do without charging labor (and a lot for it).
Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ok so wait...don't get the premuim upgrade? or get it and install better speakers?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, I've played around with the premium stereo at the dealership. If we're talking about the 08's, I'd go for it. You have more control over the bass, treb, and mids. Basically its the aftermarket pioneer programming in a Scion design unit. Has the same function. But paying that much for a dress up Pioneer is ehhh. If you want a stealhy look then I go for it.

The speakers are decent but not mind blowing. I would upgrade the rears. I feel like they're limiting the bass output and causing them to "cut out" quickly than the fronts.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: whether or not to get the Premium audio HU

Originally Posted by RBbox
This whole thing will snow ball becasue the minute you add more power you will find that the Originl equipment speakers don't sound good with added power.
Why do you say that?

I've found the opposite to be true. Stock HU w/LOC to a small 25wpc amp powering the stock front speakers in their stock location, I got an improvement in both SQ and SPL that's easily noticable, and well worth the effort.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default Premium radio is it worth $350 answer it depends

The reason I say that the stock speakers won't sound good with power is becuase they were never designed to run more power and were only spec'd out to play well at the headunit power. They are perfectfor the level of power the headunit supplies nothing more. Sound deaoning can make more of a difference than better speakers in some cases becasue our cars are so noisy. Good luck with your decision. For me the aftermarket offers better value and I can install the radio myself, if you can't install it your self then the factory upgrade may make more sense.
It is all good!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

id say go aftermarket b/c of the price. you can basically get a deck that is better for that price. its a little bit more work but very much so worth the pay off. i really liked the stock deck at first. then i installed an aftermarket deck (DEH-8600) and the difference with SQ was night and day
Old 07-20-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I plan on keeping the stock deck obviously the upgraded one but I plan on changing the speakers at best buy for a total of $400-500 including labor. That's not bad cuz the dealership may charge me a lot more and not as good quality as best buy offer.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres only one good thing about factory head units....when it comes time to sell...it wont negatively effect the price. I myself ike aftermarket better, better features, more for the money, etc.