Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Position for a 7" touchscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Position for a 7" touchscreen?

Hi, I'm planning to build a computer for my car using all the info i gathered from Mp3car.com but I've run into a prob... Most of not all the people there ripped out their dash console and fabricate a new cutom housing for the screen. I just got my Tc and don;t want to rip anyting out... mostly becuz I don;t trust myself and my parents wouldn;t be too happy with it... Anyways you guys got any ideas? I was thinkng maybe i build a little custom housing on the dash above the air conditioners and then be able to pull the screen out and down over the radio using sliding rails and mini hydaulic pistons... anyways i searched all over for ways on how to do that but were unable to find any mini hydraulic pistons to use... I even cheacked home depot and they suggesting i use the hydraulics people use for the hatchback cars but those are too powerful for a 1 pound screen... you guys have any other ideas on where to put the screen and still look nice???
Old 02-21-2006, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Incase i was confusing with what i wanted to do here was what i meant

Old 02-21-2006, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not even bother. if I were you, I would just get a motarized screen that fits in a single din spot and then you can run an aftermarket deck for your audio right under it.

Doing something like you are thinking would require far more work than you can imagine.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Yea, you are going a little overboard I think. For the amount of money you would need to fabricate that aparatus, you could probably go out and buy a single or double DIN motorized screen like Harmonic is talking about. Besides, If you mount a screen in the stock stereo location, all of the fabrication is hidden. With your idea, you have the unsightly box above your console, unless it is professionally done, the hydraulics will look wierd hanging down in front of your stereo, and you will probably have to drill holes in your dash anyway to secure your "TV stand". But...to each their own.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

and hydraulics are slightly over board... you could use actuators... sort of like hydros... but different.. smaller and wired for 12V...

you would be better off just taking out the radio.. and mounting your screen there.. you can put it in there with no to very little modifcation to the dash.. that way you wont have the ... well ... sorry to be blunt ... but flat out ugly @ss motorized screen dropping down...

just my opinion... i just hope you make the right decision...
Old 02-21-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Your better off doing this...

Dvd Strap-on
Click here to buy
Old 02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can do basically what did. All my fabrication was around the screen itself not the console. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=asc&&start=25

I can show you the back of my console on the screen fitment. I still have the functionality of my console cover and i can easily return the stock radio back in.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i thought about it and decided to get a single din and use the empty slot above and fabricate soemthing so i can pull out the 7inch screen out and up since it is alot easier... anyways i'm at school right now and won't be back home till the end of the week so i can't do any messurements but if i install a single din HU how much space will i have left over to stick the screen in??? They make a special housing for the lcd but the housing would cost me too much $$$.
Anyways the size of the screen is 183W x 125H x33D i was thinking of using the lilliput 7inch vga screen... anyways I;m pretty new to car stereo and have some questions on which tye of HU should I get... anyways i have about $100-$200 depending on how much i am able to save up by the end of the week so i looked around and saw that Fry's and Bestbuy had some pioneer and sony head units for $79-$99 and each were 4 channels 200watts and since im gonna want to be able to to use the steering wheel controls thats another what $50?

Big question! the Scion tc has 6 speakers right? will these 4 channel HUs be able to play music through all the speakers???

so what do you guys think???
Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

"tC has 6 speakers right".... Yep the Front has the speakers wired together, so its the same setup for the wire harness as the rest of them.