Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

possible place to conceal a 7" LCD???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default possible place to conceal a 7" LCD???

Hi, i'm building a car pc this summer and have almost everything i need cept the screen and the power supply otherwise i pretty much have everything i need computer case + parts. Vga, usb, cables basicky everything i think i need

heres the problem I pretty much wanna keep the stock radio becuz according to many people its gonna be better then most aftermarket radios... and i dont wanna spend another 200 for a decent radio and another 350-400 for a single din vga screen

the stock is a double din so that elimates using a single din flip out LCD so i was looking around and saw that some people have resorted to moving back their stock radio and put a lcd over it so that got me thinking

if there is enough room behind the Temp controls than maybe i can contruct something with some sliding rails or somethe and move the radio back a little to have enough clearance to slide a screen down there and when im not using the screen pull the radio forward a bit

something like this

I havent opened my center console yet so i dont know if there is enough room behind the temp controls...
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not have the screen completely flush with the back of the HVAC controls sinnce they are so incredibly flat in back, and have it slight on tracks up and down. Then you wont have to worry about hinges or angles of clearance. Just dril new hols or use brackets to move the radio back....theres plenty of room back there.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

really theres acutaully enough room back there to be flush against the temp controls??? cool this might be easier than i thought

maybe i could have like a couple of servo motors to pull the radio back and push the screen up and then do the opposite if i decide to use the radio
Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member
Scion Evolution

honestly i have NO clue what you're talking about but definately post pics when you're done! Sounds like it'll be cool. Man I wish I could DIY!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh that would be a good idea, however why would you even keep your radio for the car pc?? a pc can play cd's and even better can be ripped to the harddrive so it would never skip and with some of these programs now days your database will be very easily welcome to your fingers espeically if u get a touch screen xenarc which i really do reccomend.. If i were u i would do it the easiest way and ditch the stock radio keep it in your room or something and just use your pc like it should be used... if your worried about losing your fm, its an easy upgrade for the computer just add an fm tuner
Old 05-25-2006, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would totally do that but heres the thing

1st i often listen to the radio, FM for music, AM for news reports and basketball games and sometimes XM, i already did research on all the computer FM tuner cards and so far all of them SUCK none of them have good reception

2nd it;s a computer and it runs windows... i am the biggest Windows XP fanboy ever but it;s still running windows which is in my opinion very unreliable to work each and every time... i suspect that it would be even worst in a car environment with power issue and the heat issues
and yes i am planning on using a touch screen but xenarc is a bit expensive at $350... anyone have any experiences with lilliput???
Old 05-25-2006, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have removed the stock deck and i think you may have some issues with having it move back isnce there is a bundle of wires behind it and the fact that all 4 of the bolts that hold it down are on the front of the deck. you gona have to fab up something where it holds the deck in place from the sides. whatever the case is good luck and post some pics.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true about the enviroment being pretty harsh however it shouldnt be that bad honestly, especially since your really only running xp and maybe one program which should be sufficent and most car pcs are alot more stable than before. Also most fm tuners do suck if u do not live in a city setting I have one on my computer and it gets alright reception, i really only get the big stations clearly. As far as a liliput, yes they are pretty nice screens, especially if your trying to save a little money i personally think they are a great bang for the buck, however i have never personally owned one just played with one for a minute or two.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, alot of car PCs have limited amplifiers. Running their audio outputs to the AUX in on the radio lets you run it through an amplified system instead.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member

i use a lilliput 7" touch with the stock hu, and what i did was take the cover off (screen wouldn't fit with it on) and moved the hu back and down till it stops goin back(the back of the stereo is lower than the face of it - about a 40 deg angle). the hu sits just forward enough to hold the lilliput in place, pressing it up against the back of the dash trim. just the very top and bottom of the screen hit the back edge of the hole in the trim and hold it in place. it works really well. it looks a little ghetto, with gaps on the left and right of the screen, but it is held in place really well with no 'mounting' (adhesive, brackets) needed. if you don't have the cash to fab the dash, this is the way to go. i'll post some pics of how i did it if anyone wants to see them.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes any pics are welcome please show me
Old 09-12-2006, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member

I'd be interested to see pics also, if you still had them. Thanks.