Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Problem with drivers side mid bass speaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:54 PM

Default Problem with drivers side mid bass speaker

Ok so I've searched and cant find the answer. I'm sure that its in here somewhere, but I cant find it.

A couple of weeks ago I installed new comps up front. To do things the right way, I ordered PVC baffles for the mid bass speakers. When I installed the speakers, I used lock-tite silicon between the speaker and the baffle and between the baffle and the door. So now my speaker is cutting out and I need to get behind there to check the speaker wire(which I even soldered). The problem is that it's locked into place. Im sure that I could pry it off, but I'd rather not so I dont mess something up. So the question is how can I get the interior panel(metal) off the exterior panel of the door? Is this even possible? Or is this more of a PITA than carefully getting my baffle off the door?

Also, what does the clear plastic on that middle panel do? I saw in someone's guide to deadening the doors that this can be discarded if you're going to seal the doors, but can I pull that off to get behind there and put it back on?

By the way, its only the drivers side mid bass thats cutting off. The tweet is in the kick and thats fine so i figure that its the speaker wire at the speaker, not at the x-over or amp. Also it seems to be affected with opening/shutting my drivers window and bumps/jarring on the car.

Please help. Im off today and I'd like to get this taken care of today.

Chris
Old 05-24-2008, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm assuming you hacked into the stock wiring and tapped in that way and don't have an amplifier?
Old 05-24-2008, 02:53 PM

I do have an amp. Its a 2-chan amp. I have the passive x-overs mounted in the trunk near the amp and therefore seperate speaker wire to the tweet and the woofer. since its only the woofer and opening/shutting the window has some effect, I pretty sure its the wire at the woofer.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then just rip off the plastic and do it that way, its not necessary
Old 05-24-2008, 05:40 PM

ok I'll try that. Of the two metal panels in the door, can I remove the interior one(the one where the speaker mounts to) from the outer one? I just dont want to have to pry the baffle from the poanel and risk damaging it.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2008, 06:51 PM

never mind...I just pryed the baffles off the door. Wasnt that hard...didnt damage anything. have to solder the speaker wire onto the terminals now.