Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

problems with steering wheel control .. SWI-PS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default problems with steering wheel control .. SWI-PS

I ordered an AVIC-D3 from Scionizer07 here on the forums and as part of the deal he did all the wiring for the harnesses for me.

He also wired the SWI-PS steering wheel controller. When it arrived, the only thing that would be required on my part in terms of wiring was to cut and splice 2 wires for the SWI-PS.

Long story short, I followed the directions exactly (its only splicing 2 wires, its not that hard) but the steering wheel controls will not work. I get as far as being able to program the unit to version 8. It won't accept any buttons from the steering wheel when trying to program it.

Also, now that I have cut the 2 wires the from the toyota plug for the steering wheel, my LED's for the steering wheel buttons are no longer coming on.
(I checked last night and it does look like they actually do turn on, but are so faint that they almost can't be seen.)

Anyone have any ideas? Scionizer07 isn't being much help.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Can you take some pics of your connections?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the exact same problem with my install. what worked for me is grounding the ground wire that comes from the pac unit to pin #6 on the steering wheel control harness. my buttons now stay on nice and bright and blue and they respond to the programing.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 AM

I’ve used both the SWI-X and the SWI-ALP for my Alpine head unit. They both spliced into the TC wiring the exact same way, so I assume the SWI-PS is also the same. Since you are able to program the SWI for program 8, it looks like the PAC module is wired correctly. On the TC harness you need to connect the 6 wire pin to ground. You need to put a 150 ohm resistor (should come with any SWI) onto pin 8. Then wire the end of the resister AND the 7 pin wire from the TC harness to the white wire on the SWI-PS.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you also have to have a wire going to a switched lead not a constant lead. i made that mistake and ended up calling the company for help and they told me right off the bat that was my problem. not sure if thats your problem or not though.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syer1
i had the exact same problem with my install. what worked for me is grounding the ground wire that comes from the pac unit to pin #6 on the steering wheel control harness. my buttons now stay on nice and bright and blue and they respond to the programing.
did the same thing. Took out the ground for the PAC_SWI and wired the AVIC ground directly to pin 6. Solved all my problems.

Thanks guys!