Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Project: High off Resin (UPDATE PG7: 12-10-07)56k DIE

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry man, not to flame....but a dumb idea is a dumb idea. regardless of whether or not u think it looks cool.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its all about being individual. i'm not going to jack his thread AGAIN because i've already done it once and no. i don't race, i don't auto - x. i go to car shows. thats what i do so i want rims that look good. you can rock your 17" pos's but i bet you i get more looks on the road in a day then you do in a year.

but thats what scion is about. being individual. if i conformed to what everyone thought on SL was cool i wouldn't have anything that i have now.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Have to agree with nebster on the looks factor. You know what you want that will look good at shows and don't mind compromising performance factors to get there, not a major issue since you're not auto-x or drag racing. Easy on calling 17" POS though, I kept 17" precisely to decrease wheel mass and still have enough tire thickness to perform daily driver tasks, including loading 500+ lbs in the back of the box on a regular basis. Haven't raced yet but may start next season, most likely bracket since I'll be stuck in the 15's.

19" for show, 17" for go.

had a question on your sponsorship though, saw the turbochargers.com sticker, is that the same turbochargers ZPI Kenny went to work for? Hopefully it's working out for you. Keep it Scikotic.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
its all about being individual. i'm not going to jack his thread AGAIN because i've already done it once and no. i don't race, i don't auto - x. i go to car shows. thats what i do so i want rims that look good. you can rock your 17" pos's but i bet you i get more looks on the road in a day then you do in a year.

but thats what scion is about. being individual. if i conformed to what everyone thought on SL was cool i wouldn't have anything that i have now.
so...you're primary concern is that you're getting attention from other people??? even if its negative attention? i believe that puts you on the same level as Paris Hilton and Britney Spears... No? attention ***** i believe the term is?

My 17" Konig Tuner IIs get just as many looks as any other rims...not that i care. U think 19's get more "looks" than 17s??? :D lol, no one cares how big your rims are bro. its whether or not they look good. ie. are not too big for your car. 19s are for supras, 240s, etc.... Not civics, rsx's and tc's....

No, scion is about selling cars to young people. Tuning/modifying your car is about being an individual. I love seeing all these "individual" scion owners, whose cars all have the same 0ff-the-shelf mods. How is that being different??

you're not showing your scion tc in car shows, so who cares if you go to shows or not. I never said 19s in general were bad, just on a dinky little compact fWD car like a tc.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

what ever happend to not beating a dead horse? seriously you guys need to chill out and keep the arguing to your PMs. im not a mod or anything but keep in mind this is a thread for rvpps2rocks about his fb sub build (which looks dope btw ), and out of respect for him itd be nice to keep it that way. so please just chill out on the thread and take it to the PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok, back on topic, for the FG build, I found an awesome tutorial site to supplement your post. It's at

http://www.ajquick.com/cars/tutorials/fiberglass.php

it's really helped my understanding, like I didn't know to chop the mat into strips like paper mache. I thought I had to fit a whole sheet together at once, this will make it much easier. Anyone know where I can get the speaker rings made cheap? I may hit up elemental designs, I don't own a router and my jigsaw doesn't have a circle cut attachment. Beveled outer edges would be nice.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i show my at every car show i got to. ive gone to 2 shows with my car but been to several others while the car was in the body shop. but does that make me an attention ***** for having my car orange. and if having 19's puts me on the famous level shi i might get some...haha.. ANYWAYS im gunna be working on the boxes this weekend ill get pix up asap
Old 12-07-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i used like 6x6 squares of matte when i was applying it
Old 12-07-2007, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ADRdesignCo
what ever happend to not beating a dead horse? seriously you guys need to chill out and keep the arguing to your PMs. im not a mod or anything but keep in mind this is a thread for rvpps2rocks about his fb sub build (which looks dope btw ), and out of respect for him itd be nice to keep it that way. so please just chill out on the thread and take it to the PM.
who's arguing??? Jesus christ, its called a difference of opinion. What the f happened to this country when two people expressing differing opinions is "arguing"???? :D get some thicker skin kid.

no one is upset or angry or yelling or name calling or threatening here. You people need to learn that its okay to disagree and support your opinion. suck it up and grow up.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^i agree everyone thinkings talking is argueing. but w/e
FYI last night i was freaking out that the angle of the rings would hit the hatch with the sub inverted and i closed the hatch with me and sub in it and it clears by like 1.5 inches..big sigh of relief but lol thats a lil update that i dont have to re-start
Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

not to but in but SEpaTc SHUT THE **** UP.

why come into someones tread to bring down another member because you dont like his wheels? WTF?

anyways, RVPPS the whole car look sick, i love that color of the car, and that system is gonna be sick!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
Originally Posted by nebster

so...you're primary concern is that you're getting attention from other people??? even if its negative attention? i believe that puts you on the same level as Paris Hilton and Britney Spears... No? attention ***** i believe the term is?

My 17" Konig Tuner IIs get just as many looks as any other rims...not that i care. U think 19's get more "looks" than 17s??? :D lol, no one cares how big your rims are bro. its whether or not they look good. ie. are not too big for your car. 19s are for supras, 240s, etc.... Not civics, rsx's and tc's....

No, scion is about selling cars to young people. Tuning/modifying your car is about being an individual. I love seeing all these "individual" scion owners, whose cars all have the same 0ff-the-shelf mods. How is that being different??

you're not showing your scion tc in car shows, so who cares if you go to shows or not. I never said 19s in general were bad, just on a dinky little compact fWD car like a tc.
first off i highly doubt you get as many looks with one piece off brand wheels as one who has 3 piece japanese wheels. you're right who does care but i'm saying the construction of the wheel is huge. 19's are perfect for show. which is what i do.

i agree about the off-the-shelf mods. why do you think i run a custom 3 piece wheel. and the wheel wells for the tc are gigantic. anything smaller than 18's doesn't do the car justice imho
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for the update. What did you end up using to run the speaker wire through the box? I was thinking about using a small piece of MDF and glass it in on the underside of mine, then cut a hole and mount a terminal after everything is finished. I suppose I could just drill it out, run the wire through and seal the hole with liquid nails or silicone.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you really don't want to use terminals with sub boxes. i suggest buying a bolt and then run the power through the bolt. really helps out.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

??? What is the issue with using terminals? I'm referring to the type that has a tab bolted on the back end and a banana jack on the front, not the spring-clip type. There should be no airflow through the terminal and given the smaller size should be structuraly sound. I suppose I could un-install the banana jack head bolt from the terminal and mount it directly through. I just worry about a bolt causing a stress point in the fiberglass if it gets bumped or anything and cracking it. I get nervous about exposed contacts outside of the box like a bolt and ring terminal would create.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102834

Like I said, I would install a mounting piece of MDF for it similar to how the speakers would be mounted, only smaller and square.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right. those type of terminals cause leaks and are nearly impossible to get perfect. i recommend a bolt.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sorry to press the issue, but how do they leak? When I put them in, I liquid nails the backside of the entire outer square and fill in gaps from the hole from the inside with silicone. The bolt going through is solid, so unless air is going through the bolt threads I don't see a path available. Bolts make me nervous because they are usually coated with an anti-corrosion plating that can reduce conductivity. They can also back loose without proper application of a lock or spring washer, which is why i prefer the banana jacks. If you want to see what a loose ring terminal looks like on a high current wire, I've got plenty of pictures. Granted they are from aircraft and helo vibration environments, lotsa of charring from intermittent connections causing arcing though.

Now if you just screw the terminal in without using a sealant, yeah, it's gonna leak like a sieve. They don't provide a gasket at all.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dunno every one i've put in has had a small leak around the site. and i just put threadsealent or silicone around the threads and tahts the idea behind a bolt. there is NO air going through you wrap the led of one wire to the outside of the box and put the led on the other side. you want to get a non plated bolt and they work great.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL ive had a issue with the one i had and i siliconed it completely from the inside. but no worries for terminals because the subs will be inverted like i said. I get a alot of air space to play with that way which will be perfect for the sub. thanks Dave
and p.s happy b-day man
Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll try the terminal first as I've had some luck with it in the past with liquid nails. If that doesn't work, I'll patch the hole and use uncoated bolts and lock washers. We have some nickel plated copper ones available here specifically for ground terminations.

Quick Reply: Project: High off Resin (UPDATE PG7: 12-10-07)56k DIE