Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: Which Alarm Is better!!??
Viper 5900
70.00%
Python 990
30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Python 990 vs. Viper 5900

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jonnyHKboi
to the orginal poster, a word of warning.....these alarms with 1 mile range and SST technology, they drain the remote battery like no other. be prepared to swap batteries every 2 weeks or so.
u just have urs set to have ur car checked every min or so. it then becomes useless and wastes the battery if ur car is out of range. i only set my remote like that if i feel like the area is not trusting. but if you like that piece of mind, then get two rechargeable batteries to swap out.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
SL Member

now question, can you set the desired features from the remote on the 990? say turbo delay, vib sensitivity, etc? also with 2- way enabled what should i expect for battereis on the remote.

also i need to bypass the clutch since i drive 5spd. is that a pain in the rear?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My friends 5900 2-way lasts about 6 weeks on one of the energizer lithiums and I put one in mine as soon as it was installed and haven't had any battery level loss yet.

On my old viper 5000, my box lasted 14 weeks on a lithium battery.

The 990 and the 5900 are almost identical aside from the fact that they come in slightly different packaging. It is just a marketing thing.

And as to the clutch bypass, it can be easy or hard. Easiest but stupidest: zip tie down the clutch switch.
Next harder, tap both clutch switch wires and put them on a switch so you can manually control when its connected. Smartest: Tap the wires and put them on a relay that triggers with the remote start sequence.

The hardest thing about the clutch wires is working in the small area where you have access to them.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Phlame217
My friends 5900 2-way lasts about 6 weeks on one of the energizer lithiums and I put one in mine as soon as it was installed and haven't had any battery level loss yet.

On my old viper 5000, my box lasted 14 weeks on a lithium battery.

The 990 and the 5900 are almost identical aside from the fact that they come in slightly different packaging. It is just a marketing thing.

And as to the clutch bypass, it can be easy or hard. Easiest but stupidest: zip tie down the clutch switch.
Next harder, tap both clutch switch wires and put them on a switch so you can manually control when its connected. Smartest: Tap the wires and put them on a relay that triggers with the remote start sequence.

The hardest thing about the clutch wires is working in the small area where you have access to them.
can i buy the relay from DEI? i jsut got key bypass os i dont loose my valet key. im hopin to buy this tmrw since i roderd key bypass today.

now im very good with elecrical work, and e was a profession installer so hes putting it in for $75. and thats full installed.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Between the stress of the tach wire and clutch bypass, I'd personally charge far more than 75 lol.

You can buy a relay from DEI but itll be a whole lot cheaper to do it from like radio shack or autozone etc... Just tell them you need a "Single Pole Single Throw (spst) or Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT)" Relay. They will probably take you to the lighting section adn the realy is like 2 bucks. Both relays will get the job done. Also, pick up a fuse holder you can tie into the line and a couple of 1 amp fuses.