Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

question about a custom in-floor sub system

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default question about a custom in-floor sub system

now that i got all of my questions answered about ohms, speakers and what not im ready to get the ball rolling on this. i want to make a in-floor system kinda like qwd's box but i want to keep the spare. i dont mind raising the floor a bit but i want to keep the spare. i am going to get one more jl audio 10w1v2 and a 300/2 amp. the subs need .625 cubic feet per sub. u guys think that there is enough space to make somthing like what i quickly drew up below w/o having to use any fiberglass? i want to keep it all mdf. thanks.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes and no ... yes you can make it out of all mdf ,, but the box will need to be higher the make up for the lost space around the tire .... if you fiberglassed it .. you would regain that space and the box could be lower.... this sounds like a great project .. wish i had a tc to try it out on ...
Old 04-26-2006, 06:11 PM
ZoD
5 Year Member

wow, um... you're going to have several problems. First, the spare will be almost unusable if you do it that way out of MDF because the box would be incorporated into the floor making it difficult to remove it (you can split the box into 3 pieces with extension "wings" which would help). Second, if made entirely out of MDF it would be quite heavy and awkward to remove. Third, those subs have a mounting depth of 4.5 inches. If you add the width of the MDF which .75 and venting off the motor you are looking at somewhere around 6.5 inches of depth. That may no seem like alot but with the spare in and doing it MDF the highest point of the spare is going to be where you raise the floor from making you floor high as all hell.

Not saying you shouldn't do it though. Just saying you will have to raise your floor higher than you think.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No there not enough deepth in the spare unless your gonna raise your floor up and build a false floor...

Just do like me and my crew do... Through the spare in a trash bag and toss it either on top of the enclosure or in the back seat.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by -Keith-
No there not enough deepth in the spare unless your gonna raise your floor up and build a false floor...

Just do like me and my crew do... Through the spare in a trash bag and toss it either on top of the enclosure or in the back seat.
WOW, I should try that.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd
Originally Posted by -Keith-

WOW, I should try that.
Well I build custom boxes all the time. And you want somthing nice or nice and hidden then you have to give away some stuff...

Ussually I do a false floor at the same level then just sink the sub in so you can through a spare on top and it wont damage nothing.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not ragging on you at all. I know your ____ is hot. Just found that really funny
Old 04-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

hmm...garbage bag...nice idea...I usually just rest it in the back seat.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

its dirty... i dont care if ur cars brand new... that thing is dirty still lol
Old 04-27-2006, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just took the floor out and looked at it. damn i feel like a dumb ___ for asking this now. the only reason that i want to keep the spare is because i tend to go one random long excursions from time to time and i dont want to get stuck somewhere w/o a spare. it happned to me in my old car and it sucked really bad.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AAA is your new best friend...
Old 04-27-2006, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by honey0bucket
AAA is your new best friend...
that could be a possibility. however, what do u guys think about just 1 10w1 in the floor w/ the spare still there? i think that can work. right now i have it in a truck box which is .70 cu. ft but i think its not the right type or somthing b/c sometimes it distorts i think. it still hits hard on all 120 watts that my e1200 is pumping into it.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you want to leave the spare in your still gonna have to build a false floor...
Old 04-28-2006, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my floor sub box. It's not all the way complete, I'm thinking of mounting the amp to a removable pice of wood in the spare tire. Then I still need to come up with a way to level out the floor using the stock hatch cover. Suggestions are more than welcome.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

take the old cover make a template for the new false floor out of whatever your gonna make it out of... I suggest at least 1/4 mdf that way it has some kind of strenght. Then build bracing under it to level it out.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cdubber9
Here's my floor sub box. It's not all the way complete, I'm thinking of mounting the amp to a removable pice of wood in the spare tire. Then I still need to come up with a way to level out the floor using the stock hatch cover. Suggestions are more than welcome.

dude i love that. whats the airspace like on that? it would be great if you can get if you can some dimensions of the box. thanks.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I measured it to be about .70 cubic feet. The sub I'm using is a 400 watt Memphis 10" and I believe it called for .75 sealed, but that's about as much as I could get out it without makeing it any deeper. The depth is 5" and and another 1/12" of wood, which puts it about 3" above the original floor.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:07 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Cdubber, Thats the same setup I did.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Cdubber, Thats the same setup I did.

Nice, what did you use for the floor board and where did you get the carpet to match. Im still debating if I want to make the floor flush with the box, or the way you did it. I have an 350W Alpine amp thats kinda small so I'm thinking of putting it in the spare tire.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:42 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had mine done at a local shop. The floor is 1/2 inch I think, plywood carpeted. They just traced the factory floor and cut it to fit. That way its sturdy and if I want I can take out the system and put the stock floor back in. Its all tight and doesnt move. Thats a JL12 with a very deep mounting so it can be made to fit most subs.

Quick Reply: question about a custom in-floor sub system