Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Questions about Custom Sub Enclosure.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Questions about Custom Sub Enclosure.

Hey guys/gals, i got another question to ask lol.

ok so i have the trunk of my car gutted. and i want to make an enclosure for 2 10" subs that i got. i want to be able to still have trunk space, because im a student and i come home on the weekends and i usually have a lot of stuff to bring back and forth from school to home, and vice versa. now what i wanted was to get rid of the spare (i have AAA lol so its all good haha) and put the subs in a box, either wood or fiberglass, under/or in the stock mat (the one that has the 2 tabs to reach the spare). and then get the scion trunk mat to cover it so the system was not visible.

On a scale of 1-10 how difficult would this be if i was to do this myself (i have no experiance doing something like this but i want to learn, and i dont wanna pay someone to do it, when i have a good feeling i can do it myself... know what i mean??) and which would be the best way to do it (wood box, or fiberglass)? and which would be the most cost effective (remember im on a tight College Student budget lol)? and i also want to be able to reach the rear stut bolts. because i plan on getting a rear strut bar (or the Ingalls Rear Shock Tower Brace), and coilovers so i dont wanna have to remove my sub box to gain access to those.

thanks, and any advice/pics would be schweet.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I did it. I take it back, because it was hard.

Originally Posted by leonDB
I made this out of 3/4" mdf from Lowes'. Wanted something hidden and still wanted some cargo space. I made simple rectangular boxes before... this was tough. This was before the amp. I'll get pics of that later.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, if you want to try a subfloor box(tirewell box), here's some things that might help you.

Here's some stuff you'll need:
1. The specs on your subs (data sheet/manual with the recommended box volume/size diagrams, and info like the mounting depth among others)
2. What kind of box you want (between sealed and ported). I'd recommend ported if it can go in a 1 ft^3 box or less... 1.5 cubic feet per sub like I did will make the box a lot bigger, and I don't recommend it because doing that with mine was a biznatch!
3. And if you can get your hands on a tool to cut perfect circles because a jigsaw is too imperfect (or my skill with it is)
4. Circle template for your sub for the mounting circle
5. You'll need wood($30), a couple of tubes of silicone sealant($5-15), two ports(if you decide on a ported box $40), carpet(maybe $ 20-$30).

Here's some stuff that'll help you:

The maximum measurements on the bottom are:
(Length x Width) 42"x21". I DON'T SUGGEST YOU USE THE MAXIMUM LENGTHS AND WIDTHS... because I used the max dimensions, and it complicated it in the end, because the top piece (speaker baffle) had to fit TOO perfectly, and aligning this was hard.
(Height) It'd be good to keep the height at 7.5 inches... if your subwoofer's mounting depth is under 6 inches (like 5 3/4" for example). The reason I say this, is because you minus 1.5 inches (.75" + .75") to get an internal length of 6 inches, so with a 5 3/4" mounting depth, you'll have about 1/4" of play.

Here's the bottom:

I made my height 8", and it made the box higher, level with the trunk (you get less cargo space). But that's what I wanted. The biggest I'd recommend is 2.4 cubic feet total (1.2 per sub) for 3/4" mdf.

That's with external dimensions of 39x19x8 {Internal dimensions of 36.75 x 17.5 x 6.5... you minus 2.25 for the length because there's three pieces that deduct .75" each, and 1.5 for the other two).

The reason I say this is because the top board (the baffle) will fit really snug, and you want some play on the bottom so that it isn't "do or die" when you put your box in at the end. Mine barely fit. Oh yeah, the top board... There's two carpets in our trunks. Well, not really. There's one carpet, and there's that piece that locks the spare tire under there. Lay those pieces one on top of another, and use this as your outline for the top board (the speaker baffle). That way the whole box will fit snug with your trunk.

I wouldn't recommend an enclosure that's bigger than 2.4 cubic feet total. You could use 1/2" mdf if they have it that small. It might make getting a bigger box volume out of a slightly smaller space.

There's so much more, I wish I had pictures of all the steps I took building this...

Old 04-01-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dave, its pretty easy man. just be sure to measure twice and cut once. everything is straight cuts until you make the holes for the subs, not hard at all. give it a go dude, then you'll have more confidence when you practice other boxes later on.

for a flush mount with the top surface.

lots of cargo room still, and sub is flush to the floor.

oh yea, you may want to lay some kind of carpet padding under the box, so that way if your system is pounding, there isnt any vibration or rattling from the box hitting the uneven metal on the trunk. you know what i mean?
Old 04-01-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Okay, there's a lot to digest up there ^^^

Simplified... Lets just say that the maximum dimensions below are 42x21x8 (L*D*H). Try not to go with these dimensions. I did and the top almost didn't fit. You should try to keep the dimensions maybe 1/2" or 1" less, like 39x19x8. With a height of 8 inches, you'll have a mounting depth less 6.5 inches, so, you need a sub that has a mounting depth under 6.25" to be safe.

Use your carpets to make an outline for the baffle (the top, whre the speakers mount) and cut it with a jigsaw.

Another issue is getting the box to fit after it's done. You'll need to cut the edges off and mount hinges so it can fold over... it's the only way to get it to fit in there and still fit perfectly in your entire trunk.

This is all if you use 3/4" mdf. You could try 1/2" mdf... it'll definately make the space issue easier. Also, you won't have to make the height 8 inches, because that's pretty high!
Old 04-01-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by eujin
dave, its pretty easy man. just be sure to measure twice and cut once. everything is straight cuts until you make the holes for the subs, not hard at all. give it a go dude, then you'll have more confidence when you practice other boxes later on.

for a flush mount with the top surface.

lots of cargo room still, and sub is flush to the floor.

oh yea, you may want to lay some kind of carpet padding under the box, so that way if your system is pounding, there isnt any vibration or rattling from the box hitting the uneven metal on the trunk. you know what i mean?
Nice dude! I didn't make mine flush. What's the height on your box? Do you have pics of it in your trunk?
Old 04-01-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Damn. I should've just made mine sealed so I could get away with 2 cubic feet... but I love how it sounds ported.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks man. Since thats an old version of the box, the updated one has more height. I dont have any pix of that in my trunk because I'm trying to get rid of it, lol. Let me go run and get the height of the box, btw thats a 15" sub that has 7" mounting depth
Old 04-01-2006, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it used to be 9", it's now 11".
Old 04-01-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

well. i measured my trunk out, and cuz i want access to the strut bolts, i measured 36"x25.5"x9" does that sound about right?

and eujin did you just put carpet on top of the box you made or is that the stock carpet? and what kinda tools would i need to cut a perfect circle? lol i think my dad has a Saws All in the garage... should i use that or stay away from it? ill probly be renting the tools i need from a shop down the street. and eujin and leonDB how much did you guys end up spending on just the box? and how long did it take to make it.

also thanks so much for answering my question. i donno why but i was expecting someone to say some smart @ss comment like "go to an audio shop and get one made it will come out better" i apprieciate your help.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i taped off the area i want the box to be (ill be makin a wood one thanks to you guys' help) ill take a pic of it tomorrow (i left my camera in my dorm room and im home). let me know if it looks about right.

please
Old 04-01-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Those dimensions are okay. 9 inches will make it come a little higher than the trunk level is though.

What kind of subs do you have, and what mounting depth is it?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

eujin to get this shape, did you trace the stock mat onto a piece of the wood? i really like the way taht looks and its exactly waht i was lookin for. that way i could have the top of the box go the whole length of the trunk so that there is still some structure. if im mistaken let me know but this sounds like a fun project that should take me a few weekends, and seen as how my weekends are boring this should brighten them up lol.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Those dimensions are okay. 9 inches will make it come a little higher than the trunk level is though.

What kind of subs do you have, and what mounting depth is it?
i just got a couple 10" pioneer subs, they were on sale and i dont need the best system, i just want a little more bass

i think the subs like 10" diameter (duh lol its a 10" sub) and i think it goes like 6" deep or somethin like that, so i thought i should make the box like 8 or 9" deep. or do you think 7.5 would be ok? lol i donno what im doin thats why i started this thread
Old 04-01-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, I just traced the shape of the trunk cover that has the SCION logo onto the MDF. The carpet I bought at an audio shop. Breakdown of cost:

$22 for a sheet of 3/4" MDF
FREE screws, wood glue, silicone...lol got that at my 'rents place.
$30 for 2 yards of black speaker carpet to cover the entire box.

thats pretty much it, not a whole lot of cost going into it. i'd go for an 8.5" height box, or whatever the bottom of the floor is to the top of the trunk that sits flush.

let us know how you're progress is coming along dave
Old 04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

cool thanks a lot. yea ill make sure to take pics as i go along. lol its gonna take a long time (probly into may if not longer), most of my time goes into school, and ill only be doin this on the weekends (if i dont work), and money is really tight... but maybe i can get my parents to unknowingly give me money to do this hahaha (and no that doesnt mean steal from them thats wrong.. just ask them for 10 here and maybe 20 there )

but yea my goal is to have somethin smooth like the 2 of you guys showed me! thanks a lot, both of you, you guys helps so much.

(mods even tho i got help from these guys could you leave the thread unlocked, as i will want to stop by once and a while to update with pics of my set up as i go along, and incase someone else wants to add any tips for me that might have been overlooked (even tho i think im all set with what these 2 have told me) thanks)
Old 04-01-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

oh yea 1 more thing, whats a good place to get the MDF? would any local lumber yard have it? or do i have to go to an audio store (i kinda wanna stay away from audio stores cuz they are expensive lol).
Old 04-01-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

hey eujin,
in this pic

how deep did you make that lip so that it was flush? and you used a router right? (lol damn now i wish i paid attention in woodshop in middle school )
Old 04-02-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Man thats a clean cut!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey dave in that pix, i just added another small section under the top, same thickness 3/4". believe it or not, i used a jigsaw to cut it out. thanks Yanki

Quick Reply: Questions about Custom Sub Enclosure.