Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

really need help whelen strobes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Default really need help whelen strobes

Ok so I really want the 90 watt or 60 watt whelen hide away strobe kit. Only problem I have a 2008 TC and have no clue where to put the bulbs. The whole will be 1" with a 1 5/8" mounting depth. I believe I can place the rear on the top of the tail lights where the reverse bulb is. But I honestly don't know where to put the front bulbs. I don't want to purchase this and then find out I cant do it. So if anyone has advice please let me know. Also any recommendations about wattage or strobe company would be great. THANKS!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

anyone do this?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The kit I'm going to get is the whelen 90w 6 strobe kit. It's from lsh or something like that. If you search whelen strobes on yahoo it will come up. I'm going to get some vrd fogs and put 1 in each. Then 1 in each headlight and 1 in each reverse light. Just put the strobe as close to the factory light in each one without touching the bulb.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Only problem is with your 2006 the head lights and tail lights are so different and im so nervous to do it. Awesome idea with the VRD's tho. Are you going to run a momentary switch to change the flash pattern?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Have you ever done a strobe install???? I just recently did a 60W Whelen kit this past Saturday on a work truck for a friend, the install was pretty straight forward.

If you are nervous to do it then I would suggest not to do it at all and have someone else do it for you. There is alot of wiring involved in these kits where you would either need 2-4 switches depending on how you want it, example, 1 switch would be for the power to the unit, another switch would be for bulbs 3,4,5,6; another switch would be for bulbs 1 and 2; while another switch wold be for the pattern change. Or you can just turn it on and just switch patterns that would only require 2 switches.

If you need more info, let me know, I can also give you a hand installing it since you are in CT kinda close to me, I'm guessing.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.lshlights.net/AMAZING/

great site with everything you need. switches and all.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

The only concern of mine is actually drilling into the headlight housing. Where to drill in the 08 headlight is my main concern. I can do wiring in my sleep since I do car audio for a living. And thanks scioncraze i will keep that in mind.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

well I do not have a 08 but have a 05 and have had whelen strobes in my headlights and tails for atleast two years now. I can tell you the process I used to determine where exactly to position the strobes.

First like already stated try to position them as closely to the stock light as possible WITHOUT them touching. I then looked for a flat to relatively flat spot in both the taillight housing and headlight housing and then slowly and carefully dremeled the mounting holes out of the housings. Rear was easy for the top of the reverse light compartment is extremely flat that was as simple as dremeling and siliconing up the strobe to make sure watertight. The fronts I did not have a relatively flat spot at all so I went ahead and removed the parking lights since I never use to use them anyways had to get really creative with the dremel to make the part of the housing I was positioning the strobes at relatively flat to install the strobe but after about 15mins per headlight all was good, siliconed it up and let cure for 24hours.

As far as the wiring goes if you say you install car audio for a living you will be fine. All you have to install is one toggle or at least I did. I went ahead and wired the switch to where it turns on both the power supply for the strobes and also turns on switch 3,4,5,6 for me there was no reason to controll them independently. And I never change my flash pattern I went ahead and temporary put a switch on the flash pattern control wire so i could cycle through the patterns and found the Scan mode which is similar to the pattern the Police use.

If you have any questions on installing feel free to ask. Its alot easier than most would think just take your time and have patients. Good luck
Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Wow thanks man... you and I have something in common right now. The same amount of credit card debt lol.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Also on the fronts, you said you did it in the parking light spot. Did the reflective housing crack or is it just plastic? I might place them in front of the low beam. But there are the stock projector lenses with 6000k hids.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

well not sure about the HIDs havent upgraded mine to that yet but as far as the reflective housing it was just plastic with a reflective coating so no cracking.

And actually the credit card debt is different now that was from a year or so ago. I owed $10k last year and paid it off fully then I had jacked it back up to $4.5k and now back down around $3.5k. Hopefully this time onceI pay it off it will stay off for awhile lol. And goodluck with yours too man
Old 08-29-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Lets just say I had an apartment with an ex girlfriend where i bought everything... now its all in storage. So I am gonna buy those 90 watt strobed whenever I have the money. Im just so nervous to drill it in the head lights. Im thinking about putting them on the sides of the tail lights where the clear section is (for the reverse light).

Does anyone have pics of 2008 head lights with strobes?
Old 08-30-2008, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Any one else out there with experience on the 08 headlights? Justmyluck... i owe you man, you were very helpful.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Not a problem man thats why we all come to the forums is to help each of us out with our passions...our cars. O one bit of advise is once you use either a dremel or drill or what not you will get plastic shavings down in the lens. How I was able to remove mine was hook a shop vac hose to where the headlight bulb goes in at and hook my air compressor hose to where the side marker lights were and turned both on. Removed d@mn near all of the shavings.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i just used a hole saw on my lights, cut the hole, pop in the lights, done. (ive got 18 whelen strobes on my car, 12 are mounted in lights the other 6 are inside the car, more are coming soon.)
Old 09-01-2008, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

holy crap... where in the headlights did you mount them? I only want to do one in each light.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

wow i just checked out your website... damn you have a lot of lights. If you have a pic of your headlights were i can see the strobe that would help out so much you have no idea. Then I will buy these things and do a walkthrough for people.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i dont have any pics of that, sorry. but for my set up. i removed my high beam bulbs, and drilled our that hole just a little and put bulbs in there... im working on putting another bulb in each headlight but we wont talk about that one until i pull it off..
Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Im thinking of putting them in the high beam housing next to the bulb thats allready there. I live in the woods and I need to high beams to see deer and whatever else learks in the woods. Hopefully it will work... do you think it will??? I dont want to have to buy another housing if I "F" up.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

By the way your car almost gave me a seizure haha. j/k

Quick Reply: really need help whelen strobes