Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Remote wire help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Default Remote wire help!!

hey people i am new to the forum and new to the tc's. Over the past weekend i've been installing a 10' sub to my stock hu. I've installed the LOC and am having some trouble with the remote lead. My amp currently has power when the FM radio is enabled, but yet none when cd is playing. Also when there is power to the amp nothing is being outputed to the sub. Any help would be great!! THANKS!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

connect to the acc power on the harness, should be gray and fuse it
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Give what he said a shot and if not let me know ill try to trouble shoot with you
Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

If the amp is on when FM is on but not when it's switched to CD, then I'm pretty sure that means that you have it connected to the remote antenna turn on instead of the remote amp wire...Both wires are blue, so make sure on that one first...On the point of no sound coming out, make sure you connected the LOC correctly...
Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just attach the remote wire to the back of your cigarette lighter so it'll turn on with your car, alot easier.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
just attach the remote wire to the back of your cigarette lighter so it'll turn on with your car, alot easier.

That may not work...Those remote amp wires have to have a certain amount of voltage and ampreage going to them...
Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by creektrack
That may not work...Those remote amp wires have to have a certain amount of voltage and ampreage going to them...
Incorrect, the remote wire does not need a certain amperage, it simply needs to see 12v which triggers the amps on. A fuse on the remote wire isn't necessary as its source is already fused. The amperage will ultimately depend on the source, a 15amp or 20amp is plenty. The remote wire has a current limit anyway, it will never exceed the amperage.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
Incorrect, the remote wire does not need a certain amperage, it simply needs to see 12v which triggers the amps on. A fuse on the remote wire isn't necessary as its source is already fused. The amperage will ultimately depend on the source, a 15amp or 20amp is plenty. The remote wire has a current limit anyway, it will never exceed the amperage.
yeah i currently have my remote wire for my amp and my power source to my footwell lighting both going to the back of my cigarette lighter clean and hidden.
also if you have an after market headunit look for a spare wire 'p. cont.' or something liek that which once your headunit is turned on, it becomes a constant 12v power supply perfect for your remote wire
Old 08-27-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
yeah i currently have my remote wire for my amp and my power source to my footwell lighting both going to the back of my cigarette lighter clean and hidden.
also if you have an after market headunit look for a spare wire 'p. cont.' or something liek that which once your headunit is turned on, it becomes a constant 12v power supply perfect for your remote wire
On the back of most aftermarket radios the yellow wire is constant 12v, not what you want because the amp will never turn off, but the red wire is switched acc which is what you want for the amp. It will turn on when the radio turns on. To be 100% positive always meter it but that's what you want. That 12v constant is there to save your pre-set stations, clock settings, etc.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I have never seen an aftermarket radio without a remote amp wire....And never but too many things on to one wire source, that's how systems get burnt out, and how fires get started....
Old 08-28-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have never seen an aftermarket radio without a remote amp wire....And never but too many things on to one wire source, that's how systems get burnt out, and how fires get started....
you could wire a million things to the same power source and be fine as long as you use in-line fuses and don't wire like a retard nothing will happen.
beside the fact that both only have power only when my car is on, i think i'll notice a fire.
it's not like you lose volts or anything to make it less powerful, i don't see the problemm
Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You don't have to use in-line fuses at all for anything but the am power wire coming from the battery simply because it is not fused anywhere else.

Everything else is fused, the radio is fused at the radio and in the car. Everything is used already for the most part, even the amps are fused. Using in-line fuses do nothing more than complicate the setup.

You haven't seen many aftermarket radios then, especially some of the lower models of Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, etc.

Switched 12v accessories can be found all over the place, hell wire it to your windshield wipers.