Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

reverse subs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default reverse subs

if i make a box using say a 10w6 if i plan on using it reverse phase is there anything i need to look out for as far as volume wise
Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only difference is when you build the box you won't be worrying about driver displacement. also make sure the box is secured to the car so it doesn't move around.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:32 PM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thx brah
Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

the 10w6v2 (like i have in my car) looks to be a little bit of a pain to reverse mount. The top of the sub that you would see when the sub is normally mounted has some curvature to it.... so either a reverse mount design or some foam weather stripping *will* be needed.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to bring this back up but I was considering doing this with my two Polk SR124 DVC's. They call for .88 airspace plus .14 for dislacement. I understand that since I would be reversing the mount, I would just build the enclosure to .88 and ignore displacement but....
does this type of mounting have any impact on sound quality and/or performance?

Also will the depth of the enclosure have any impact on sound? Reason I ask is because I was considering reverse mounting and building two enclosures with a depth that allowed for clearance of the subs movement inside the enclosure.. ie. it wont smack the bottom. I would get the volume by making the box as wide and tall as necessary.

I would make two of these and the top of each one would actually extend out and be part of a false floor. This way I could remove each half if necessary, still have my stock floor and access the spare and tools.

This is a rough sketch of the idea so ignore the art work The red squares would be the shallow enclosures. The yellow parts are the two halves that would be the top of each enclosure and would be formed to the shape of the cargo space.

PIC REMOVED
Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

some subwoofers have a bit of mechanical noise. that the only real effect it would have on sound quality. try it and see how it sounds.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I can scratch this idea because I cannot get the volume needed and keep the back of the subs below the cargo cover. With the enclosure going from the back of seats to the trunk sill (27") and then as wide as the well humps allow (42"), 6" high at the back of the seat, and 2.25" at the trunk seal.... This put me at .88 per side if I did one divided enclosure.

Whats restricting me is the cargo cover. If I could lose that I would have more flexibility but I dont want these visible,... and they would be.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know you said you arent doing it but just for the future, it has no effect on sound quality or output if you reverse mount the subs
Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YanksFan
i know you said you arent doing it but just for the future, it has no effect on sound quality or output if you reverse mount the subs
What about enclosure depth though? Im talking something like maybe 4 inches deep.. outside dimension.. so with 3/4" MDF that would be 2.5 inches inside.

I still might do this but I will have to remove my cargo cover flap deal and tint my windows.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it will change the volume of the box and only that. say your box is 1cuft before displacement and say your displacement is .25 to make things easy. when you put your sub in normally, the box size after displacement will be .75cuft. but if you reverse mount the sub, your box volume will increase and will be much closer to 1cuft,

not sure if what i just said is what you were asking or not....if it wasnt then my bad lol
Old 10-24-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No Im just wondering if a really shallow box will sound any different than a more traditional shaped box with the same volume? ie. the sub face being so close the inside surface of the box.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tint the windows anyway
Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it can have an effect. some drivers have a lot of mechanical noise. if the driver you choose has a good amount of mechanical noise you will hear it when mounted inverted.

listen here.... http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...current=MX.flv
Old 10-25-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85
it can have an effect. some drivers have a lot of mechanical noise. if the driver you choose has a good amount of mechanical noise you will hear it when mounted inverted.

listen here.... http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...current=MX.flv
Im using Polks SR124 DVC's. I have changed my enclosure so I can go either direction. My volume can be 1.02 to 1.20 so the enclosure Im going to build will work with the subs mounted either way.

When reverse mounting, should the phase be reversed as well??
Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, reverse the phase if you reverse mount
Old 10-25-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Phase of the subwoofers should be similar between all speakers (facing the same direction - I've seen some boxes with some subs 'regular', and some 'reverse mounted' - the point is to keep the cones moving the same direction (in/out) with respect to the enclosure). However, you should flip the phase of the subwoofer system, and listen for an improvement or degradation of output near the crossover frequency. The lower the frequency (especially compared to midrange drivers), the more noticeable this effect will be because the wavelengths are longer and thus they become more critical to align.

Listen for the bass to join the front speakers (impact wise) and readjust the output. The most common mistake people make is having too much bass. Listen and adjust the for a natural level. Of course, keep the remote bass gain **** within arms reach for when bumpin' is needed!