Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sound Deadening Doors (Mini Walkthrough)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:46 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman
Originally Posted by WeaponX6X
I want to deaden my doors...but I'm so lazy...I was planning on using just RAAMat. Is Ensolite really worth it?
I'm wondering the same thing. What is Ensolite anyways?

Also, lil_will! How did you keep the aluminum in place?
First, lets hit the basics. There are two basic types of sound deadening; Barrier loading and Mass loading. Barrier loading, as the name implies, is a material that creates a "barrier" for the sound and reflects or absorbs the soundwaves. Mass loading materials are applied to panels and add mass to those panels to reduce vibrations and resonances from those panels. Closed and open cell foam and egg-crate foam are examples of barrier loading deadeners. Mat deadeners like Raammat, Second Skin damplifier and damplifier pro, peel & seel, etc are all examples of mass loading materials.

Ensolite is a closed cell foam, which puts it in the "barrier loading" category. It's function in life is to reflect and absorb sound waves; which when applied to the floor and doors will help decrease road noise and such.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman
Originally Posted by lil_will
I just used screws to hold the aluminum on.
Did you drill holes or is there a few convenient ones? And thanks for the help tC_skier, but i've already ordered the MDF baffles from Alpman over on YSTC.com. I've talked to Chris before too, good guy.

Unfortunately there were no convenient holes. I used self tapping sheet metal screws to secure the aluminum to the door. You can get the screws at any hardware store.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by wvuphan
Will, Can you post up how much heavier the door feels? How many lbs do you think you added? As well, what was the change like on the outside noise reduction and how much more solid do your tunes sound? Great thread!
- The door feels much heavier now (in a good way). When you shut the doors they feel much sterdier (sp) almost like a luxury car.

- I used a half roll of raamat per door. I think it added about 10-12 lbs (per door). I have used two complete rolls so far, so I have added about 50lbs total. I need to order 1 more roll to finish the hatch area.

-The noise reduction was tremendous! The only area I haven't deadened yet is the hatch and you can tell the difference big time. All the road noise I hear now comes from the hatch area.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:02 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zsanz
yo lil will nice effin ride! but question with the smoked rear lights are thoes actuall like window tint over the lights or is it a whole different thing if so where can i get some ?
TC_skier is correct. The tails were tinted by JTT and they came out great!
www.jonstintedtails.com <--- highly recommended
Old 12-31-2006, 07:04 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

OK, that seems to cover it lol. I haven't checked this thread in a while. I checked it today and there was a million ?'s! Hopefully I answered them all. If yall have any more, just let me know.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

have you done the floor area too? I use eDead from Elemental Designs for my doors and my hatch. Works pretty good but thinking of using all the things you did to get the most out of my CDT comps?

Ive also been wanting to do the whole floor over a weekend to really quite the car alot! Where did you buy your Ensolite from? Hopefully i can take a little vacation from work and get this done!!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:29 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
have you done the floor area too? I use eDead from Elemental Designs for my doors and my hatch. Works pretty good but thinking of using all the things you did to get the most out of my CDT comps?

Ive also been wanting to do the whole floor over a weekend to really quite the car alot! Where did you buy your Ensolite from? Hopefully i can take a little vacation from work and get this done!!
Yeah, I did the floors to. It made a pretty noticeable difference. You can order ensolite from Raamaudio.com
Old 12-31-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by lil_will
First, lets hit the basics. There are two basic types of sound deadening; Barrier loading and Mass loading. Barrier loading, as the name implies, is a material that creates a "barrier" for the sound and reflects or absorbs the soundwaves. Mass loading materials are applied to panels and add mass to those panels to reduce vibrations and resonances from those panels. Closed and open cell foam and egg-crate foam are examples of barrier loading deadeners. Mat deadeners like Raammat, Second Skin damplifier and damplifier pro, peel & seel, etc are all examples of mass loading materials.

Ensolite is a closed cell foam, which puts it in the "barrier loading" category. It's function in life is to reflect and absorb sound waves; which when applied to the floor and doors will help decrease road noise and such.
ahh okay...I kinda knew what Ensolite does but that puts it into a different perspective.

I noticed you only used a yard of Ensolite. Do you think using 2 yards of Ensolite per door would make a noticeable difference?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:40 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I don't know how much of a difference it would make to do another layer of ensolite. Im sure it couldn't hurt. It just depends how much you wanna spend.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The other thing to consider is the thickness off all the deadener on the inside of the door and door panel. You can only fit so many layers before the thickness keeps you from putting your door panel back on properly. Something to keep in mind. I am almost done with my install. Probably finish up tomorrow. Good Luck guys.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

"lil_will", how much did you spend for all your materials?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:07 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I am not sure exactly. I have used two rolls of raamat about 5 yards of ensolite and a can of adhesive. Probably around $300. I need to order another roll to finish the hatch but that will be after the new year.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I assume 1 roll of matt and 2 yards of ensolite is enough for the doors?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Yeah, that should be enough for the doors.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Sweet...thanks!