Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Soundsystem Question (oh joy, another!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RF amplifiers are pretty nice, the "25 to Life" series is WAY big on power and quality. However, RF subs are weak unless you go expensive and get their Power series. The RE SE definitely owns the RF's in it's price range.

In addition, you really don't want to be straight up SPL (loud). You might feel "cool" rolling down the street wanging, but people HATE that rattling trunk lid shit. You want anyone to be able to respect your system, not just the other high schoolers that think you're awesome cuz you're loud.

Go for SQL, you'll like it a lot more than just crazy bass.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I noticed RF's were expensive.
They apparently discontinued that Alpine M650, though.

I can still get it on ebay though, probably.

So I'm gonna stick with what I was going to get earlier, and just mount the amps on the box.
Silver/Black vinyl, anyone?

You can PM me the measurements, or just post 'em here.
You're my hero, no joke.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's where I am so far on the design, let me know what you think. It's still got a ways to go, but so far you're looking at a box 38" wide, 3ft^3 after displacement, 15.5" tall, 17" deep.

]

Tuned to 32Hz using a 4" dia. aero port, 8.25" long.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow.
That's amazing.

And it'll fit directly on the seatback?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, it'll go right up against the seatback. I toyed around with the idea of sloping the back of the box so that it actually wedged against the seatback, but that angle would be way too unusual to cut, so the 90 degree back was the best way to go.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're my hero.

So, this would be tuned exactly for the 15" RE SE?
Wow.
I couldn't ask for anything better.

The M650 amp is discontinued.
Should I scavage around eBay, or should I purse other options?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Uyles
You're my hero.

So, this would be tuned exactly for the 15" RE SE?
Wow.
I couldn't ask for anything better.

The M650 amp is discontinued.
Should I scavage around eBay, or should I purse other options?
Yup this would be tuned for the 15" SE. And yea I figured the M650 was discontinued after not seeing it over at crutchfield. But since that SE can easily handle 700-800wRMS, why not go with the MRP-M1000? It can be had for < $270 shipped on ebay BNIB. Run it at 4 ohms for 600wRMS. http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-MRP-M1000-CAR-MONO-BLOCK-CAR-SUB-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ390011093640QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item390011093640&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Or just go with the M500, that would push the SE with NO problem whatsoever. I wouldn't bother searching around for the 650 though since you will not find them BNIB.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good.
I'll get more power out of the sub anyway with that amp.
The sub will be fine handling that power.

Should I still go with the MRP-M250 to power the components, or should I get a Alpine MRP-F300?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have the cash, go with the F300. 50RMS more per side can never hurt lol, plus the amplifier housing matches the M1000'a, whereas the F250 does not.

I send my RSD's 150 per door so yours will definitely enjoy it as well
Old 11-30-2008, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, awesome.
Thanks.

Whenever that box is done, just go ahead and post it up or PM me.

Design progress or finish product, I don't care.
You've been such a help. Thanks a lot.
(I've said that a lot, huh? I didn't think you caught it the first time. )
Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fyi

i have no respect for anyone that says SQL.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for that extrememly productive and helpful post, good sir.
Now why do you say that, may I ask?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
fyi

i have no respect for anyone that says SQL.
Yes nebster, thank you for voicing your opinion. Fortunately, it has no influence over anything, as countless people would disagree. There is undoubtedly a need for a middle ground between SPL and SQ. A setup that is very capable of reproducing a full-range of sound with proper time alignment and imaging while still being able to get loud and thump falls perfectly into that middle ground (SQL).

So now that you have lost respect for myself as well as 75% of the rest of the car audio community, won't you see yourself out of the discussion?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Uyles
Thank you for that extrememly productive and helpful post, good sir.
Now why do you say that, may I ask?
because i'm a purist. there is no such thing as a sound pressure level quality system.

you can either have great sound quality or you can be loud. there really is no in between. now you can have a decent sounding system thats loud but loud is not what sound quality is about.

IMHO sound quality is where its at. all these kids go around bumping their system showing off to their friends and such just ____es me off.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i call BS on not loud SQ systems. sure, SQ systems arent intended to be loud... sure SPL systems are going to be loud basswise... but LOUD isnt just referred to bass. if your SQ system cannot get "loud" all around without distortion... then something is wrong. it may not be loud to bass heads, but its still loud. loud is a matter of opinion to some people. i dont see how you can say there is no in between. my system is SQ oriented... still a work in progress, but it can definately get loud and still sound great.... while it wont be breaking any SPL records, it has potential to get loud while still keeping in tonality etc. its all a matter of tuning... so if ur system cannot get loud and still sound good... something needs to be adjusted. so i guess the 15s u used to have were useless?

to the OP. head over to diymobileaudio.com, they have a lot of useful information over there. im currently running, but about to sell due to cargo area.... alpine 9887, 2 cadence txa 6004s, 2 dayton reference ho 10s in .7 net each tuned to 29.5hz, mach 5 mli65 mids and seas neo textile tweets. subs are low passed at 63hz/12db and they are all i could ever want. bass is upfront, etc. while i still got some EQing to do etc, i probably wont ever get around to it as im selling the amps/subs and my premier 680mp. if ur interested in 10s... these things are the ticket. goodluck on ur build. lemme know if u need any help.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SPL = sound pressure level = high levels of bass
SQ = sound quality

SQL

sound quality level?

what they really want is a combination of spl and sq which doesn't exist

the 15's i had i got rid of for a reason that was a spl setup, the setup i have now is a sq setup
Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SPL = sound pressure level = high levels of bass
SQ = sound quality

SQL

sound quality level?

what they really want is a combination of spl and sq which doesn't exist

the 15's i had i got rid of for a reason that was a spl setup, the setup i have now is a sq setup
SQL is loosely thrown out there imho. its SQ and thats all it should be referred to as. SPL is useless imho, but hey, whatever people enjoy i guess. i was asking about the 15s bc ive heard of people using them for "SQ". i just dont think many people understand the true meaning of the terms themselves. maybe i misinterpreted what u were saying, but i do believe a good SQ system can get very loud. loud is not BASS y0! lol. hence, im bout to run a set of 8's or 6's. just something to pick up the bottom end when i sell the daytons

ps- i see what ur saying now. with the SQL... but for most people around here SQL is what its referred to. they want a nice sounded system with good amounts of bass. they just dont wanna slap some subs on a stock system and pound away. you can have the cleanest sounding components in the world and the cleanest sounding subs. mine sound very very good with the subs on 0 where its blending well. if i crank the subs to 15 on the 9887... holy crap... it get loud... it still sounds good, but its by no means what u would consider SQ. the minor rattles and just SPL of the subs itself take away from the SQ. if u could somehow make the nicest sounding subs in the world hit a 150, theres no way u could make any set of components blend with that. itd just sound stupid
Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exactly..... loud =/= sq.... the whole term is a joke

sql doesn't exist
Old 11-30-2008, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exactly..... loud =/= sq.... the whole term is a joke

sql doesn't exist
people have to truely understand the iasca judging regiments, etc to fully understand that thought for 99% to the "car audio" community, the term SQ is loosely used as the corner hooker. most people, including myself... would be truely blown away by a down right SQaholic system... they sound so downright and ubberly amazing its ridiclous. i mean, mine compared to 99% of people in this town, sounds damn good... but then ive heard others who have spent hours and hours perfecting their systems and i just realize mine needs a lot more work.

i think you just have to come to terms and accept that SQL will be used, bc not everyone is into it as much as u :-P
Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true but that steal doesn't mean its correct. they may not think like me but its not a correct term.

Quick Reply: Soundsystem Question (oh joy, another!)