Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

SRS Side air bags, A and C-pillar Rewrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default SRS Side air bags, A and C-pillar Rewrap

Ok i have searched through this forum and havn;'t foind a thing (these forum searches suck)

i want to take the A and C Pilars off (along with the headliner and other parts) to rewrap them in a different fabric. but for the life of me i can;'t figure out how i can take the a and c pillars off to re wrap them, and if i do if it will mess n e thing up with the air bags themselfs.

dose n e one know how to take these off or if i can take them off? or even another thread that has instructions to do this?

thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

C pillars just come off by prying.

wiht the SRS, I really don't know about the front
Old 10-08-2006, 08:30 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i don't think you can remove them.. with the srs.. they're purposefully held on there pretty hard.

you'll be risking safety stuff if you take them off... if you're even able to.. well.. yes... if you start breaking things.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member

i have the srs system there...you can just yank the pillars off, no problem. I had to do it to run antennas for my nav/xm, no problems at all.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

talk to Merc_tc he did the same thing you want to do. Check it out-

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...303&highlight=
Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer your question about the A-Pillars, there is no airbag actually in the pillar as you can see...

Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^um check out the first picture

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=asc&&start=25

the airbag definitely is attached behind the A pillar and slides out the bottom (at least partially) during deployment. the pillar stays on since the A and C pillars are pratically bolted down....hope this helps
Old 10-09-2006, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can do it. I have the SRS side air bags and re-wrapped all my pillars, A, B and C along with the headliner in suede. The A and C pillars are not that bad. There is a metal insert at the top of each pillar that you have to work out. It is held in body by a plastic retaining clip that can only be used once. Once you get that out the rest is easy. The best way to release the plastic retaining clip is to take a long screw driver and push in each side of the clip. It will finally release and then you can pull the pillar out. Take your time and be careful working around the air bags, because they run from the front to the back in one long succession. When you get the new retaining clips put them onto the metal tab on the pillar first and then push them back into the body. This will take a good whack with the palm of your hand to get them to snap in. If you have any other questions PM me.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by phoenixtc
You can do it. I have the SRS side air bags and re-wrapped all my pillars, A, B and C along with the headliner in suede. The A and C pillars are not that bad. There is a metal insert at the top of each pillar that you have to work out. It is held in body by a plastic retaining clip that can only be used once. Once you get that out the rest is easy. The best way to release the plastic retaining clip is to take a long screw driver and push in each side of the clip. It will finally release and then you can pull the pillar out. Take your time and be careful working around the air bags, because they run from the front to the back in one long succession. When you get the new retaining clips put them onto the metal tab on the pillar first and then push them back into the body. This will take a good whack with the palm of your hand to get them to snap in. If you have any other questions PM me.
THAT MAN KNOWS HIS STUFF!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Make sure you disconnect the battery too, so you don't accidentally set the airbags off.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by krdshrk
Make sure you disconnect the battery too, so you don't accidentally set the airbags off.
It is actually incredibly hard to set off the bags without actually being in an accident.

My uncle was a car salesman for 26 years and every year, the dealer would do a demonstration where they put a bag under a 5-gallon bucket. When they set off the airbag, it would shoot the bucket over 50 feet in the air. He said that he always will remember 2 things about those demonstrations, how powerful the bags are and how hard they were to set off. I can't remember for sure, but I am thinking that he said there were 7 different wires that had to be hooked up in the right combination in order to get it to go off.

I have never heard of a bag going off on accident (well, the only time they go off is turing an accident, but I think you understand what I am saying )
Old 10-09-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

7 wires... not that i recall... i have blown off several air bags (on purpose) for the fun of it... its usually only two wires...

and as for the hard part... not so much either... i remember having a trainee back maybe a year or so... we were pulling the pillars and headliner for our upolsterer... and then he was going to have a crack at a remote start... i wanna say it was a tahoe or something of the sort... and for some reason got the incredibly smart idea to probe some air bag wires... and yes ... kaboom.... as for just bumping into it... yeah its hard... but accidently pinching a wire with a careless screwdriver and setting it off... its not unheard of... so please be careful...
Old 10-09-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

um why would you set them off on purpose? You can't just stick them back in there, you have to replace them and thats some $$$.

There is some thread on here where a girl slammed the door cause she was ____ed at her bf lol and it set off the side airbags on her seat...
Old 10-09-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krdshrk
I am not sure you really have to do this. The only thing I was afraid of was plowing my screwdriver through one when I was trying to release the plastic retaining clips. Even at that I doubt they would have gone off.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MountScion1
^um check out the first picture

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=asc&&start=25

the airbag definitely is attached behind the A pillar and slides out the bottom (at least partially) during deployment. the pillar stays on since the A and C pillars are pratically bolted down....hope this helps
Yes it is attached behind, but does not come out of the A-Pillar. It's just mounted behind it. Im saying the A-Pillars dont have a break away line or anything like a Steering wheel/dash does, because they come out after the A-Pillar.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thankx for the info guys.. and with the clip do i just go to the dealership to get a new one?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Removing all the Pillars is not that hard. Just take your time. I hated removeing the OHS**** handles in the car. They gave me a lot of trouble.

Havent taken new photos with the rest covered up
Old 10-12-2006, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member

Will removing the front seats cause problems if you have the side air bags? If not, do you just unplug them after you un bolt the seats?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thats what I did was unplug them
Old 10-16-2006, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member

Excellent! Thanks man!