Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sub with built-in amp installation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Sub with built-in amp installation?

Would the installation for a sub with a built-in amp be any easier than 2 separate units? I purchased an 8" Sirius SIR-PS1 Powered sub and want to install it myself ASAP.

I have no knowledge in audio systems whatsoever but I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums on subs and am gaining a little insight on what I might need to do.

Is anyone familiar with this type of sub?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It's easier because:

1.) You don't have to wire the amp to the sub
2.) Takes less space
3.) Weighs less.. maybe.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Several people here have such sub solutions (not me), and they've made threads and/or posted if you want to search. You'll also want to look at the various threads that show how to run power and signal wiring for an amp, because that's exactly what you're going to need to do. The only things you won't have to do is wire the amp to the sub and build an enclosure, but connecting your amp/sub will be the same procedure as installing a separate amp.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have an aftermarket HU, then it shouldn't be too hard. Just run the power wire down the driver's side and the RCAs down the passenger's side. RCAs to HU. Push power wire through grommet underneath the steering wheel and pull it to the battery. (Stick your head where the pedals are and look up. You'll see the grommet.) All electrical after that. I had no prior experience and I did mine...

Mine is only temporary until I build my stealth box. Now if you don't have an aftermarket HU, you will need a Line-Out Converter. These are kind of a pain. I have not installed with one, so maybe someone who has can chime in and tell how to do it.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:23 AM

For the record my HU is stock so it might not be that easy. I may be a bit confused but instead of running the RCA to the stock HU using an adapter can you just use use the High Input Level wires and connect them to the rear speakers? Or must I do both? From what I've read and understand (or misunderstand) you can do either or.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ I did not really understand what you're trying to say, but here is what I think you should do. Get the RCA adapter, splice the rear speaker wires (it's best to do it at the back of the radio both Left and Right) and connect the input of the RCA adapter to the rear speaker wires. Wrap with an electrical tape. Then connect the RCA to the output of the RCA adapter. Then the RCA to the AMP. It's that easy.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno why you would need a RCA adapter since a lot of the powered subs have speaker level inputs so you wouldn't need a RCA adapter.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 AM

That is what I was asking. I am still very newbish to all the jargon in this field but I somewhere got the idea that if my sub has a high level input I wouldn't need to wire the RCA to the HU using the adapter. It also says that it automatically powers up when audio id present on the Hi Level Audio input.

So all I would have to do is connect the 4 wires that come from the level imputs to the rear speakers and that would be sufficient? I might have it all wrong but I'm trying here guys.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc913
I dunno why you would need a RCA adapter since a lot of the powered subs have speaker level inputs so you wouldn't need a RCA adapter.
I know, but I've read somewhere here that using the speaker level input is not recommended. Low signals coming from the RCA adapter is still recommended to feed the amp. IDK, maybe it's just for those who are into the competition level. If it works for you, then it's all good.

Maybe it's just me that would like to keep it clean and run just 1 RCA cable rather than running 4 rear speaker wires (both L and R) just to drive my amp.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Well thanks for all the help guys I think with a little more research I'll be able to wire it up and see how it sounds. It came with the high level wiring and everything so maybe it's the the recommended hook up? The manual is very brief and doesn't really tell much but we shall see. I will post when I get it down and let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again,
Shane
Old 04-07-2007, 11:39 AM

Okay quick question hopefully. I want to try and connect the level imputs to the rear speakers and see how that works but I want to know how much of the car I have to tear apart to get to them.

Is it practical to do this or would it save a lot of time and hassle to just buy an RCA converter and run the wires to the HU? I looked at the tC gutting guide but I still couldn't tell how much stuff I have to remove to get to the rear speakers.

I have the ground in place and the power wire run from the battery to the trunk and now I just have to connect the remote wire and figure out if I'm going to use the high level imputs or RCA to the HU. Almost there! Kinda..
Old 04-07-2007, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sirius makes a sub/amp? It all really depends on how the sub.amp is set up... could be more complicated. might be easier. I say research if anyone else has it and see if they have a DIY.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:10 PM

The only connections on the back of the sub are the Line Imputs, 12v Batt, Rem, GND, and the High Level Input which is a port for a set of 4 wires that the sub comes with 2 for the right and 2 for the left. The 4 wires coming from the plug are only about 6 inches long so I think you are supposed to wire them to a set of left and right speakers. I don't know, seems a little different than all the other discussions I've read about subs on here.

BTW here is a link to the sub that I bought, I got it for 40 instead of 100 though.
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1128803475306
Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I looked at the link, and it appears you have incentive to use the speaker wire inputs, rather than the low-level RCAs. If you use the speaker-level inputs, then you won't need to run a remote wire, because the speaker wire inputs are auto-sensing, such that when they see a signal the amp will automatically turn on. Also, with that amp/sub, you wouldn't really notice any improvment in sound quality by using the RCA inputs.

Look at the gutting guide again, just the section that shows you how to remove the rear side panels. Pop those off and splice into the rear speaker wires on each side, and run new wire to the amp's speaker inputs. If you don't want or need rear speakers (I think they ruin sound quality), you can simply disconnect them when you're taping into their wires for the sub. Doing that, you'd be able to vary the level of sub/bass versus the front components, by using the head unit's fader control. Regardless, after connecting the rear speaker wires to the amp's inputs, all that's left to do is set the amp gain, which you can do by ear.

HTH.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 PM

Thank you so much. I just understood everything you posted lol. I know exactly what I have to do now. I just need to take another look at the gutting guide and then I can start! Thanks for everyones help once again.