Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sub question....errr....transmission...err....yea

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Default Sub question....errr....transmission...err....yea

hah... ....yea anywaYS...i put my old stereo from my celica in my tc...it used to hit high 150's....so yea beign that they are 15's yes two...they hit....anyways back to the point....will the vibration and what not from the subs ruin the tranny or anything....i killed the trarrybolts on my celica..and that kit strictly for subs....never drove the car much...and never ever drove it hard..so yea....dont want the same thing to happen...so if anybody know...please help..........has anybody else had any problems created by vibration and what not.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Was that post even in english? I read it 3 times and I still dont know what youre talking about.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

wowi just read that and i have no idea what i was trying to say....

ok well try that again...
I have 2 15" subs that hit contuiously at about 150dB's
will the vibration from my subs ruin the transmission or anything else on my car...

i only ask because it did ruin quite a few things including the transmission on my celica.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Might want to ask that in the ICE/electrical section..a lot of stereo related stuff in there and they might know.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could not see the vibrations at those frequencies doing any real damage when you compare it to the violent vibrations and heat that your tranny already uses.

Now, your alternator, that's a different deal. Let us know when the stock goes out.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^What he said. You are the first person I have heard of this happening to. I have a friend that had 4 13w7's with 1100 watts on each one, and he didn't have any tranny problems (but it was in a 4WD Silverado).
Old 09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know what he's talking about either. I would say use common sense, the tranny bolts are designed to hold a substantial amount of wait. remember weight = mass * acceleration. think about how the car vibrates in response to rough terrain, now that can add some serious weight on a bolt. BUT I NEVER HEARD OF SUBS CAUSING FREQUENCY RELATED PROBLEMS TO BOLTS.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

yea i know...but regardless...it did do some damage to my last car.....soo.....hoping was just a fluke....
Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoever told you your stereo caused your tranny damage on your celica was feeding you a line of garbage. the ONLY possible way a stereo could have ANYTHING to do with a tranny going out is if you are adding massive weight to the car and it is an auto tranny. It would have the same effect as pulling a heavy trailer and the tranny could overheat from the strain.

Your transmission bolts may have gone bad with age, or were defective or any of a number of things but I can personally guarantee without even seeing it that your stereo vibrations did not cause any transmission damage.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Did a dealership tell you this? If so, they did it to deny a warranty and you really shouldn't have listened to that, total BS.

That's like saying the vibrations from your stereo broke the frame of your car...not going to happen.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

well maybe weight.......i did have over 600 pounds in the back.....big custom box....and it did have 150k miles on it and it was auto.....hahah