Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

subs and stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default subs and stock HU

I want to get two 12'' Alpine type-r subs and a class D kenwood amp. However, i do not want to replace the HU because I spent the extra $$ to get the ipod hookup. Can i run the amp using a line out converter I have heard about on here? And what effect would that have on the music quality? Thanks for your help - i'm a newbie, haha
Old 12-07-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes you can use the Line Level Converter to get RCA's to the back....won't be the greatest sound...but it won't be too noticable either....
Old 12-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

I 2nd...u can absolutely use a line out conv with the stock HU, dats what I done...as far as the sq, my subs sound f'in great!! That don't mean yurs will, but the difference in sound q is so minimal that even a real audiophile would have trouble distinuishing. The main difference is that the voltage of the output from ur HU won't be as high as it would from an aftermarket HU...meaning you have to set the gain on yer amp a little higher...ie your amp has to work a little harder to play loud bass......really no biggie at all. Good luck
Old 12-08-2005, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are your front and rear speakers still stock? If they are your bass might be a little too strong for your stock speakers and you won't hear any music. I have a single 12" and it is just the right amount of bass for me. Not to mention that i have replaced my front two speakers with 100w compenent speakers which are pretty loud. Had my speakers not been replaced, i would not hear any music, just bass.

Just letting you know that you might not get the right bass to music ratio your looking for.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by audiobahntc
I 2nd...u can absolutely use a line out conv with the stock HU, dats what I done...as far as the sq, my subs sound f'in great!! That don't mean yurs will, but the difference in sound q is so minimal that even a real audiophile would have trouble distinuishing. The main difference is that the voltage of the output from ur HU won't be as high as it would from an aftermarket HU...meaning you have to set the gain on yer amp a little higher...ie your amp has to work a little harder to play loud bass......really no biggie at all. Good luck
Actually, you need to match the signal input voltage to the amp with the gain of the amp.... turning the gain up (to say, 4V) in a situation in which the signal voltage is only 1.5V will cause clipping in the driver. This is how alot of people blow their subs/speakers....by using the gain as a volume or bass control
Old 12-09-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
Actually, you need to match the signal input voltage to the amp with the gain of the amp.... turning the gain up (to say, 4V) in a situation in which the signal voltage is only 1.5V will cause clipping in the driver. This is how alot of people blow their subs/speakers....by using the gain as a volume or bass control
Don't get mad SCI_TC_GUY but audiobahntc was right.

I know what you were getting at but but if you set the gain of the amp to match a 4V input(using your example) and your signal voltage is 1.5V, then you will be getting less than half the power(sound) you should be getting. You will need to "turn up" the gain to get a better match to the 1.5V input. It's when you go BEYOND that gain match that you can end up with some problems.

Simply, the lower your input voltage, the more you will need to "turn up" your amplifiers gain to get full power.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ ok....had to straighten myself out.....I was thinking of the measurement backward....when turning the amp gain UP, it's actually matching to a lower signal input voltage.....MBD
Old 12-09-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Don't sweat it, I thought thats what you meant. Just wanted(hoped) to clarify alittle.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you pick up a decent LOC like one from Navone http://www.autosound2000.com/adaptor_products.htm
you can get up to an 8v output which is more than adequate. I'll let you all know how it sounds when it gets here. Mark
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

the stock HU actually isn't all that bad IMO.. I mean, its still stock, and dont have that many options/features...but the sq and spl from the stock system isn't too bad.

Also...I have a 600 W (approx) max power amp, which I'm running in STEREO...each sub sees about 300 W at on a 3 ohm load. (The subs can handle much more power) I only have the gain on my amp set at about 1/4 and I have all the bass I could ever need. I could probably turn my gain up a tad, but I don't want to ever have to worry about the speakers distorting so I don't bother.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did the line out converter to my stock head unit and i have no complaints as long as you tune the amp right you can get the sound claer as can be
Old 12-13-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting... Ever consider utilizing a remote bass ****?..
Just something to consider
Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 AM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

my remote **** don't work and since I really don't need it, i haven't bothererd to take my car apart (again) to get the cord out, so I just leave it...maybe audiobahn will hook me up with a workin one some day....Somewhere, Over the rainbow...way up high, blue birds fly over the rainbow, why why oh why can't I?

IBTL
Old 12-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

my remote **** don't work and since I really don't need it, i haven't bothererd to take my car apart (again) to get the cord out, so I just leave it...maybe audiobahn will hook me up with a workin one some day....Somewhere, Over the rainbow...way up high, blue birds fly over the rainbow, why why oh why can't I?

IBTL
No lock...just moved to the tC section.

If you have a buddy that has a remote bass ****, see if his works, just plug it into your cord.

You should be able to get a new one pretty easily.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

I've tried swappin out the **** a few times, didn't help...at one point the protection circuitry on my amp came on....Audiobahn says its either a bad cord or bad terminal at the amp...yeah I'm a little disappointed...but I really don't care too much, once I get a new HU I'll be able to adjust my subwoofer level and crossovers rite in the dash anyway...at this point, the ****'s more for show!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I bought the RCA converter that plugs into the radio with no splicing of my wires. I found that the signal had to much voltage and was causing clipping with the amp turned all of teh way down. I bought a signal reducer and tuned the voltage down and matched the amp and now it sounds great.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:36 AM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

REALLY? interesting indeed...what amp-subs u running?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Instead of worrying about all this over my life time (being I am only 21) is do things the right way the first time. I am sorry to say this but in my opinion your best bet is to throw that connector you bought on ebay and buy a new one that will connect you ipod to your new headunit (they are cheap...around 10 bucks) you will get the best sound out of a new headunit and have more control of the sub
Old 12-15-2005, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I am running a cerwin Vega 3200 amp mono to a Phoenix gold titanium 10 in a 1.0'cu ported box. Sounds just as good as my old PPI Pro 10s
Old 12-16-2005, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^PPI used to have killer amps..... don't know about their newer stuff.....

Quick Reply: subs and stock HU