Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Subwoofers are barely hitting. Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member

Default Subwoofers are barely hitting. Need Help

Okay, I have two 10 inch subs in the back of my tC with an amp. I just took the previous setup out of my old car and migrated it into the tC. The only thing that was different between the two was the fact that the tC stereo doe not have RCA outs in the back so i had to use a high end splitter. I looked at the wire charts posted around here and i also got a buddy of mine that works at circuit city to give me the wires i needed to splice into. So i did everything and had gotten everything hooked up.

I find that only my right sub is working and it is barely moving. I mean i turn the radio to 45 and it is still barely moving. It IS working though. The left however is standing still. If i switch up the RCA from right to left, then the left works and the right stops. If i unhook both of the RCA from the high end splitter and touch either to metal i get intereference from the correspoding subwoofer.

The only thing i am not CERTAIN on is that i have the remote wire in the correct place, but the amp does turn on. Can anybody help me out with this? Thanks for the time.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Exactly what wires are you tapping into?

What amp are you using?

Is it an amp with high level inputs or are you using an LOC and then have RCA's running to the back?

Let us know and we can help you out.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: Subwoofers are barely hitting. Need Help

Originally Posted by Bogwraith4
Okay, I have two 10 inch subs in the back of my tC with an amp. I just took the previous setup out of my old car and migrated it into the tC. The only thing that was different between the two was the fact that the tC stereo doe not have RCA outs in the back so i had to use a high end splitter. I looked at the wire charts posted around here and i also got a buddy of mine that works at circuit city to give me the wires i needed to splice into. So i did everything and had gotten everything hooked up.

I find that only my right sub is working and it is barely moving. I mean i turn the radio to 45 and it is still barely moving. It IS working though. The left however is standing still. If i switch up the RCA from right to left, then the left works and the right stops. If i unhook both of the RCA from the high end splitter and touch either to metal i get intereference from the correspoding subwoofer.

The only thing i am not CERTAIN on is that i have the remote wire in the correct place, but the amp does turn on. Can anybody help me out with this? Thanks for the time.
This sounds almost identical to a problem I was having. If I hooked up just one sub, things sounded fine, but if i hooked up both one of them was very weak and the other didn't function at all. I use the stock HU and had a line-out converter (for RCA's) installed. It wound up being in the way I had my line-out convertor wired in: on one channel I had the positive & negative backwards. I switched them around like they needed to be and things sound perfect now. I have a horrible memory, but I think it was mandos (who posted before me in this thread) that walked me through my problems. If it wasn't mandos, I apologize (I deleted all my PM's a week or so ago and got rid of the ones in reference to this).
Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

You know...I think it was me....That sounds horribly familiar

That and I vaguely remember offerings of beer if I was in the area.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by mandos
You know...I think it was me....That sounds horribly familiar

That and I vaguely remember offerings of beer if I was in the area.
LOL, yes....it was definitely you then because I'm not too far away (in Kansas) and I would still buy your beer if you are in the area ;) Maybe the MITM in Ames this spring?!?!
Thanks tons for the help again, mandos.

Anyway, Bogwraith4 if what I pointed out doesn't fix your problem, you can definitely trust mandos' suggestions: he was super helpful and was able to solve my problem with just a description of what was happening.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member

I have a Blaupunkt PA2200 and i have the high end converter that turns into RCA and the RCA runs to the back of the car and into my amp. My amp came with this high end converter so i assume that it works with it. I spliced into 4 wires into the back of the HU. It was the small square plug that has 5 wires in it. I spliced into the Brown, yellow, white and red. I have switched the positives and negatives back and forth testing different ways out and they sound the same. Right one works (barely) and left one doesnt move.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds liek you're not getting enough power somehow
Old 01-24-2006, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member

yeah i have no idea. Maybe i have the remote wire hooked up incorrectly or something (even if that has anything to do with anything) but i splced that one into the bigger big hook up in the back of the radio. it is the hookup on the far right side. I spliced it into the grey one. That i believe is the Ignition wire.

Other than that i have no idea what the problem is. I have been working on it for a while and have had no results. =/
Old 01-24-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member

ok i just switched my radio to the xA setting and it sounds better. Then when i was playing a Cd i turned on the SRT (i think that is what it is) and the bass on that right speaker was hitting like normal. But alas the left was still not moving at all.

I mean it has to be something with the LOC is what im boiling it down to. I'm tempted to just hook the left parts of the LOC into the right lines and just go mono with it. Or get a RCA splitter and split the right side coming out of the LOC because it seems to be the only side that is working.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are there any adjustments on the LOC??? that may be where your problem.... the LOC is designed to alter the signal voltage going to the amp.... Instead of hi-level (speaker wire) you can get lo-level(RCA).... play with the settings on the LOC to see if that'll change anything
Old 01-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Weird question, but can you take a pic of the wires going in/coming out of the LOC?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member

it is a tsunami LOC and it has 4 wires coming out one side (grey, grey/black, white, whilte/black) and on the other side it has two rca terminals build into the casing and two brownish colored wires that i currently am not using and i have no idea what they are for.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Oh...that one...we sell it.

The grey, grey/black, white, white/black are for the input speaker levels.

The RCA's on the other side are for the RCA...the two brownish wires...normally one is grey the other white to show which side is which in case you forgot after plugging in the wires.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:27 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i dont know about the left and right problems. But i just did the same thing, but i had it done be a sound shop. Make sure your SSP is on feel or hear. Neautral sends zero bass to the sub. yeah and xa or xb sound better with the sub.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member

yeah i dont know what exactly is the deal. I got the right one hitting normal i think, so i am just going to route the left input wires into the rear right speaker wires as well. I will have to settle without stereo subs but oh well. I just hope that it doesnt cut the power in half somehow and then get two really weak subs instead of one medium one. =/

thanks for help though.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it maybe bad ground
Old 01-26-2006, 11:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bogwraith4
..... I will have to settle without stereo subs but oh well. I just hope that it doesnt cut the power in half somehow and then get two really weak subs instead of one medium one. =/

thanks for help though.
Stereo subs or mono subs won't matter because sub-bass is omnidirectional... meaning you can't tell where it's coming from.....
Old 01-26-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by waylonworld
it maybe bad ground
I was about to suggest that.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member

i think i figured it out. Apparently the LOC that i was using has two gain ***** on them and I'm hoping that they were the cause of the problem. I was going to try that out today and hope that it works. =)
Old 01-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Yeah...it's got a gain left and gain right...doh..didn't even think to mention that...

Quick Reply: Subwoofers are barely hitting. Need Help