Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

suede

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default suede

hey i just ordered the classio leather seat covers today they will be in when i get back from europe which is thursday night now i want to do a suede headliner i have been looking for some fabric online and i think i have found a few i like but i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how hard it is and if there is a diy on sl or anywhere and if its hard does anyone no someone that does this for a living i cant wait to put the seats in and then do the headliner thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did my door panels, they were not that bad, but I am now having issues (less than a year) with the glue holding.

From what I have heard from SL the headliner is tough. You can also damage your headliner if you are not careful.

There are people that have done it on here so you should be able to find the posts.

A shop might be your best bet.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Many people had a rough time with glue not holding. Some used headliner glue that is good, but over time it will start to peel. The best bet is to buy a spray glue gun for about 20 bucks and buy a bucket of high strength glue... I forgot what kind but I have used it before and you cant even peel it apart when it dries.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont go cheap on the glue and youll be fine on the headliner, it isnt hard to remove but you have to be careful after you drop it down not to bind or bend it
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
SL Member

be sure to do it right and it will look nice
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used the 3M super 33 or something. I thought I bought the good stuff considering the price difference and how much more it cost me.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default thanks

do u no if there is a actual diy for this and where can i get a gun for and what the guy who did the door panel what kinda problem are u having but i think i am gona start doing it this weekend
Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends on what type of fabric/suede you get. I had bought some from a local store and it is great, but it didn't stretch too much.

I had an issue with the curve on the back panels of my car. The way I stretch it put more strain on the glue and the suede pulled away from the panel.

Now because of the way I cut it and stretched it I would have to do it over again.

Then I noticed that in the front, that after a summer and winter and back into summer, that the glue gave way in spots and caused it not to have the nice tight look that it once had.

Another note is in the cold, I could tell that it was contracting because again, the suede did not have a smooth look, it was almost bunching up. When the the car heated up and went back to looking like normal.

It really isn't that bad, I am just very picky and it is bothering me. So I might look at getting a shop to do it but most likely I will try again with more glue or better glue.

I searched and didn't find the post I was looking for, but here is the one that got me to do my car.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=headliner
Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hey thanks

thanks for the help man i am gona try i diy and see how it turns out and if i dont like it i will take it to a shop do u no what a shop would charge just wondering and i dont realy have to worry about the cold b/c i am in fl lol
Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

most shops charge in the range of $1400 to do the interior.........to do the job takes from 20-80 hours depending on how good you are at it........pro can do it in half a day.......there are nto really any diy on how to do it..

hardest part is the piece on the hatch,followed closely by the headliner....the big piece pn the hatch has an inside out curve to it then it curves back out again the oposite direction and is hard to keep material going the right direction and not bunching up.

Headliner is hard only in the area where the dome light goes and the visors go as there is a dip then an abrupt bump out and the material will not stretch enough and most of us had to do a cut there to make it work.

my interior took over 80 hours from start to finish,that included removal of all parts and install of all material and reinstal lof parts,painting of parts and install of them too.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow 1400 dollars i didnt think it would be that much idk man i am gona see if anyone in my area knows how to do it and see if they could help me i realy wana do this it looks so clean if it is done right i am deff not gona take it to a shop and pay 1400 dollars lol haa thats crazy but most people say buy a gun and use that i am gona try that route i think now what happens if i mess up cant i mess my headliner up
Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

well once you start you cannot go back......lets say that........the material is spendy and as long as you take your time it will come out fine........try to stay away from upolstery suede.........it has no stretch to it and is what I used and it made it really hard to work with.........save the headliner for last,work with the smaller parts first and get the hang of the glue and the material and then you will be fine.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
HaYu Racing
SL Member

overall the project isnt to bad to do. i found it very easy to do after i figured out that not trying to stretch the material to much makes the material easier to work with. let the glue do the work for you and help you mold it on there w/o stretching the material. also start from the middle towards the outer section and do little sections at a time. and also make sure you have a friend helping you, it makes things so much easier. i did my friends xb2 in 3 hours(minus the drying time n removing time) thats with pillars and headliner. GL on the project though if you decided to do it.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya i deff think that i will have a buddy help me but now to chosing the meterial u dont think like fabric swade my barents rapped some bar stools in swade and there is some left over that i can use idk if is enough how much will i need and i think i wana get some diff stuff where should i look and what type of suede works best
Old 07-02-2009, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

For the entire car i would recommend 15ish yards give or take.

More yards to allow you room for some error.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ok cuz i have about 9 yards of the other stuff

ok i only have 9 yards left from my parents um so i guess i will get some fabric does anyone no where to buy some good fabric for a good price and what do u think it will run me like 90-100 for the fabric or more
Old 07-02-2009, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't remember the exact details, but I know I figured out that the door panels cost me around $80 in material. I think I bought 3 or 4 yards. I would say try your door panels first, they are pretty easy and will get you some practice.

The biggest issue is that it takes time and you have to be careful not to touch the suede with you fingers when they are covered in glue.

also, lay down some news paper or be in an area that you don't care if you have over spray. The glue will get on the surrounding areas.

Also, do it some where clean and non-windy. I did my door panels on my deck on the glass out door table. The one day it was getting tricky with the wind and not trying to get stuff blown into the glue.