Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

tC Seat Cushion Warping under seat cover (foam? other material?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
SL Member

Default tC Seat Cushion Warping under seat cover (foam? other material?)

I have an 07 tC and as you can tell from the pics below my drivers seat is messed up. It looks like it has hemorrhoids or something (no I did not give the seat hemorrhoids). When I feel the seat it almost feels like the string from a pair of gym pants is underneath in 4 different places but it is not continuous. I don't know if it is the foam itself that is warped or if there is another material between the seat cover and the foam that could be wrinkled or something. It obviously didn't happen overnight it has been there for some time and must have gradually happened but I know it is starting to bug me a lot more even though it is only wear my legs are and not my butt. I have the platinum Toyota care but it says seat covers aren't covered. I don't know if this is considered to be a seat cover issue but I highly doubt the warranty will cover this.

Has anyone else had this happen to their seats?
How does the seat cover come off? Do you have to remove the seat?
How much do you think it would cost to have an auto upholstery take off the seat cover and look at it?
Do you think I need to get a complete new seat?

Thank you my fellow tC guys and gals for the help in advance. I appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails tC Seat Cushion Warping under seat cover (foam? other material?)-39022801301_orig.jpg   tC Seat Cushion Warping under seat cover (foam? other material?)-1039022801365_orig.jpg   tC Seat Cushion Warping under seat cover (foam? other material?)-2039022801375_orig.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontcmm
I have an 07 tC and as you can tell from the pics below my drivers seat is messed up. It looks like it has hemorrhoids or something (no I did not give the seat hemorrhoids). When I feel the seat it almost feels like the string from a pair of gym pants is underneath in 4 different places but it is not continuous. I don't know if it is the foam itself that is warped or if there is another material between the seat cover and the foam that could be wrinkled or something. It obviously didn't happen overnight it has been there for some time and must have gradually happened but I know it is starting to bug me a lot more even though it is only wear my legs are and not my butt. I have the platinum Toyota care but it says seat covers aren't covered. I don't know if this is considered to be a seat cover issue but I highly doubt the warranty will cover this.

Has anyone else had this happen to their seats?
How does the seat cover come off? Do you have to remove the seat?
How much do you think it would cost to have an auto upholstery take off the seat cover and look at it?
Do you think I need to get a complete new seat?

Thank you my fellow tC guys and gals for the help in advance. I appreciate it.
1. no i haven't had it happen to mine, looks like the seat got wet somehow, i can see all those spots that i usually get if the seat gets wet. I'm thinking it got moisture in there somehow and began to warp the foam on the underside of the seat cover. (thin foam not the foam of the seat cushion).

2. the seat has to be removed, 5 bolts and it comes out. the seat covers are held in by hog rings, standard for car seats.

3. maybe $100 at the most, i'm just guessing here.

4. No I dont think you need to get a new seat. A new seat from the dealer is anywhere from $1700 to $2500 (depends if you have side airbags, more for the airbag seat). So I think a good auto upholstery shop should be able to help you out, even if you just get a new seat cover from the dealer it's cheaper than a new seat.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 PM
SL Member

Thank you for commenting sciontc_mich...I appreciate it. My seats are also very dusty in the pics because I haven't cleaned them in awhile. My seat has gotten wet before from getting into the car when its raining but so has the passenger seat and nothing happened to that. It's not even where I sit, it's near the legs so it shouldn't be this way. The seat cushion foam seems worn as a whole when I sit on it but that's just due to use and is normal to have some of the cushion foam lose its form and not feel as sturdy, I think. But the way this seat looks is unacceptable with all the bunched up mess that is there.

When I bring it to the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation, I am going to bring up my drivers seat. I wonder if they will do something under the Toyota Platinum Care since it is clearly not just a seat cover issue.

132 views, 1 comment...I guess this hasn't happened to anybody else.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 AM
SL Member

After seeing this thread i noticed my had that gym shorts string your talking about, but its on side support of the bottom seat. im guessing theres some sort of lining that broke loose
Old 09-29-2011, 05:10 AM
SL Member

Thanks for responding 1E0_Tc_05. Yea, that's what it seems like to me. I don't know if the Toyota extended platinum warranty will cover it. Could you take a pic of yours when you get a chance? How does it look compared to mine? There has to be some material between the seat cover and the actual seat cushion foam like sciontc_mich said. It looks like crap and it shouldn't be like this. I am a non smoker so I didn't think I would have to worry about ruining my interior but now my seat looks like crap anyways. I would rather have cigarette burn marks in it.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
SL Member

Going to the dealership tomorrow, any tips on what to say to them about fixing it under the 100k/7 year Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
SL Member

They said it wasn't covered under Toyota Extra Care and I would have to call them myself to complain and try to get them to do something about it. Looks like ordering the parts at the dealership (whatever is needed I still don't know) and having an auto upholstery shop do the work is my only option if that doesn't work.