Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Viper 5900 (Question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Hmmmm kinda like the old GM's where you used a relay to do that. But you could just measure the resistance on the key itself.

Might come in handy when I want to do a push button start lmao.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 AM

I'm also looking to get a Viper 5901, but I have a question about the remote start. I have a standard so will I have to leave the car out of gear in order to remote start it?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

yea the new ones u can install them with manny trans, ive done several 5901's but none in a manny yet, if its anything like the slytek alarms, u have to prime them first not sure though there cool though, down side, there brains are way to big, and its internal shock boo
Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i hated the xk05's i always did the 556u for toyota especially in v6 camry.....forget that.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

DEI makes some that are specially for manual transmission.

However, all of them are starting to come with a manual option and neutral safety, i'm specifically referring to the Python 991 and Viper 5901 so you don't have to leave it in neutral.

I have gotten used to leaving mine in neutral and the 1 time I didn't, I came out to find my car about 20 feet from where I parked it, up on the side of a tree.....meaning I had to get my rear bumper repaired.

The new systems are a mix of upgrading the older systems and downgrading the old systems.

What I mean by that is after opening my 991 I see an ascetically pleasing remote, a nice suede holder in the box in for the remote, a 1 way remote and 2 way remote are included vs the 1 2-way remote that came with the 990.

I see a remote that is capable of charging using a standard mini-usb port...vs the 990 with AAA batteries which can be seen as both a positive and negative. Positive meaning you don't have to buy AAA every 2 months and negative if you're out and forget to charge your remote, go to the car and can't get in because your battery is dead.

I see the valet button is integrated into the antenna of the unit which is a positive. I also notice there is an LED on the antenna instead of included in the box.

I see that the shock sensor is inside the brain of the unit instead of a stand alone. I find this as a negative because now you have to mount the brain in a place that is not shock resistant so underneath the dash won't fly but at the same time it has to go under the dash because the ignition wires you need are under the dash. DEI should have kept the stand alone shock sensors. Stand alone shock sensors were only in the higher end systems and built in sensors in all of the others. Now it seems as if DEI has gone all the way with built in shock sensors.

I see the remote start module is built into the brain instead of the having an additional module with ribbon cable. I see the brain is about half a size larger which makes hiding it more problematic.

The jury is still out on this. I bought it because of the new style remote that looks way more factory than the old models.

DEI has definitely done a lot to cut costs.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

meh... i dont know about you guys... but i have started to come around to autopage's interfaces the idatalink stuff works SO much better than the cheap xpresskits stuff... and can bypass a lot of higher end cars that dei tells you to use a key.. like in the audi's and bmw's and such... i never cared for using customer keys for remote starts... with my past.. i know how much easier it is to get somebody's car when i can find a key in the car...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

That stuff looks a lot like the PK modules.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'll stick to DEI.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn... can we upgrade to the newer remotes??? viper 5901...sexy remotes...
Old 04-23-2009, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mattieg
That stuff looks a lot like the PK modules.
essentially it is... but seems to have a lot high success rate and not bad out of the box rate as with the dei stuff...

i have done just about every brand remote start and alarm out there and my shop we sell 6 different brand alarms/remote starters, and mainly seal with medium to high end cars and when i have a BMW, Audi or VW customer come in and say i need one of their keys for remote start it tends to drive people away... rich people are always the cheapest ones....
Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Originally Posted by howiedds
damn... can we upgrade to the newer remotes??? viper 5901...sexy remotes...
If you have the 5701 you can upgrade to the LCD remote by swapping antennas. But if you have an older model such as the 791XV then no you cant. They now have super coding on the remotes along with SST technology.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The cost effectiveness of buying just the antenna and remote is zero for the cost of one of those new LCD remotes.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

haha not if you can just swap them out
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Ahh the luxury of an installer

For the other 99.7% of people the new LCD remote from DEI is $220+ and you can find it online for $200.

The price of the entire new system w/ 2 remotes.....$169.....pick your poison
Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the 5900sst...can i swap?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by howiedds
i have the 5900sst...can i swap?
No
Old 04-26-2009, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I installed the Python 991/Viper 5901 yesterday.

I have mixed opinions about the unit itself, it takes some cues from the past DEI systems.

Anyway, they have this virtual tach now which I know has to be voltage checking but they also have voltage checking and tach checking as options.

So the new way you're supposed to use virtual tach is to remote start the car, wait for the parking lights to come on then stop the car using the remote start and its supposed to be programmed. I did just that but each time I remote start the car it stays on for 10 seconds then stops itself as if the brain doesn't know the car has started. When I switched off virtual tach and used the regular tach it worked fine after I programmed the tach.

I would like to use the virtual tach because the start is so much more smoother. The cranking time is half that of the regular tach.

Any ideas?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Well I just found out that the 5901, 5701, and 5301 are all stopped production. Some had problems with the two way feature and others didnt work at all.

Its weird that the car will actually start and run. Maybe turn engine checking off.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Sounds like DEI was getting some complaints of (broken into/stolen) cars that turned out to have the new Viper systems and remote notification was a flop.

Quick Reply: Viper 5900 (Question)