Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

want to get some components but i have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default want to get some components but i have a few questions

so im lookin at getting a set of JL Audio TR650-CSi. i have heard ppl talkin about how the stock front speakers are riveted in and how its a _____. can someone please explain what this is about. also baffles? what are they and will i need them. and should i get components for the rear too or just for the front and somthing like the JL Audio TR650-CXi which is a 2way. please leave the flaming behind. yes im a noob to car audio and i want to do it right the first time. thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It's not too hard to get the rivets out....A drill makes this an easy remdey, a drill with a drill bit makes it even easier

A baffle is just a spacer, sort of like a washer (at least when you are talking about components). The purpose of this is to either allow greater mounting depth, or to allow larger speakers to be custom mounted to a smaller facotry location.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The JL's are great speakers, but I'd definitely stick with just a component system up front.... maybe a coaxial(2way) in the back if you like to have rear sound...

I'd look into Elemental Design... their eDi6000s component system is only $125 shipped and is a very nice sounding component set... www.edesignaudio.com
Old 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd have to agree on the Coaxs in the back. Comps in the back will sound good, but won't sound remarkably better than coaxs unless you are physically in the back seat.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the suggestions guys. i have one more question. now i know that components come with crossovers and tweeters, is it possible to mount the crossovers in the trunk and run the wires from there or does it have to be a certain distance from the speaker. and the tweeters is it possible to get ones that mount in the location of the stock ones? whats the mounting depth of the stock speakers? thanks guys im hoping on getting the ball rolling on this very soon.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry i ment a few questions. lol they just keep comming as i type. thanks again.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You *could* mount the x-overs in the trunk, but I don't know why you would want to. There is plenty of room to mount them inside the door panel (in plastic to protect from the elements). If you don't want to mount them there, then I'd suggest inside the car, inside the kick panels. You'll end up running a lot less speaker wires that way.

No idea on the mounting depth, but you can find it using the red search button, I'm sure.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

o yeah i totally forgot about the kick panels. thanks yo. im looking at the ed's and the JLs. part of me wants to shell the extra $ out and stick with JL but the other half wants to go with the ed's and save some $$.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Mounting depth w/ 1 3/4" spacer, about 3.1"

Double it up and you can get close to 4"
Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the eDi6500's are the best component set for $250.... nothing will beat it for that price.... amazing...
Old 04-17-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd agree with SCI_TC, for $250, you aren't going to find a better set of comps.

The JL's may or may not sound better to you in your application, depending on what amps you are using. There are a lot fo factors: what amps you are using, what kind of music you are playing, and how well you can "hear" the music. I've had some people tell me that they can't tell the difference between my Boston Pro 6.5s, MB Quart QSDs, and my Focals, even though each of those range from $400-$800-$1000 in prices. Sometimes more expensive is not necesarrily better. It all depends on what sounds good to *you*
Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^agreed!!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 PM
bzr
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
It's not too hard to get the rivets out....A drill makes this an easy remdey, a drill with a drill bit makes it even easier

A baffle is just a spacer, sort of like a washer (at least when you are talking about components). The purpose of this is to either allow greater mounting depth, or to allow larger speakers to be custom mounted to a smaller facotry location.

isn't a speaker baffles made of foam, how will it increase the mounting depth or accomodate lager speaker in a smaller factory location? are there other kind of baffles?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:42 PM
bzr
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 05FMtC
thanks for the suggestions guys. i have one more question. now i know that components come with crossovers and tweeters, is it possible to mount the crossovers in the trunk and run the wires from there or does it have to be a certain distance from the speaker. and the tweeters is it possible to get ones that mount in the location of the stock ones? whats the mounting depth of the stock speakers? thanks guys im hoping on getting the ball rolling on this very soon.

most x-over are small enough to fit in a lot of places in the door or panel.....most aftermarket tweeters have flush or surface mounting hardware that has screw in the center, you can separate the stock tweeter from the metal bracket (held by a glue and hooked in the metal barcket) flaten the top portion of the bracket then drill a hole in the center , screw the tweeters...thats what i did.... btw.. you will need a very short screw or cut the screw to prevent it from hitting the door panel....depth is not a probelm with tc, both front and back have more than enough space.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

I mounted my alpine tweeter in the stock location! But 1 problem was i didnt know how to take out the stock tweeter since the x-over is in there? So i have a total of 4 tweeters, the stock tweet is just there while the alpine tweet is mounted where the old one is!

I got questions about components too! What do yall know or think about these comps

eDi 6500s........MB Quart RVF 216........

Boston Acoustics SL60........CDT's (too many to choose)

Dont wanna spend more than $3-350. I do listen to rap/hip-hop and the ocassional alternative! So i listen to some loud music and its loud about 80% of the time im in there! Let me know which ones the best for lound music!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bzr

isn't a speaker baffles made of foam, how will it increase the mounting depth or accomodate lager speaker in a smaller factory location? are there other kind of baffles?
Most likely, what you are thinking of is what www.crutchfield.com terms a "baffle". http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KGX1y7c...fles&i=237XT65
It's a foam surround that goes around the voicecoil/magnet of a speaker, to protect it from the elements. While it's true that those *are* a type of baffle, what most people in car audio profession refer to as a baffle, is the mounting plate of a speaker. For subs, the baffle is the top of the box. For older cars that had 6x9's on the rear desk, it was the rear deck that seperated the 6x9 cone from the trunk.

If you go into any car audio shop of worth, and say that you have a set of 6.5" speakers, and you need a baffle to install them in the factory 5.25" locations, what you'll get is either an adapter plate that looks like http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KGX1y7c...3200&I=142SAT6
or you'll get a piece of mdf board cut into the correct shape to fit the larger speakers, but also allow you to bolt the mdf into the stock speaker mounting tabs/screw holes, etc etc.

It's the thickness of the mdf that allows for the extra mounting depth, as well as the extra circumference of the larger speaker.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Yanki01
I mounted my alpine tweeter in the stock location! But 1 problem was i didnt know how to take out the stock tweeter since the x-over is in there? So i have a total of 4 tweeters, the stock tweet is just there while the alpine tweet is mounted where the old one is!

I got questions about components too! What do yall know or think about these comps

eDi 6500s........MB Quart RVF 216........

Boston Acoustics SL60........CDT's (too many to choose)

Dont wanna spend more than $3-350. I do listen to rap/hip-hop and the ocassional alternative! So i listen to some loud music and its loud about 80% of the time im in there! Let me know which ones the best for lound music!
I'd stay away from any new pair of MB Quarts. MB Quarts *used* to be great speakers. However, the factory in Germany burned down, and they partnered with Rockford Fosgate to maintain production. Most high end stores that carried MBQ dumped them at that point in time. I don't know that the quality has actually suffered since then, but I can tell you that the prices of their gear has dropped considerably since that time.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

this is the baffle you need!

Now i know thats regular wood but i did change it out to 3/4" MDF. Trust me its alot better! I bought a sheet of the MDF from Lowes for $22. They cut it 3 ways to fit in the tC. I used a jigsaw to cut and sand paper to sand it down.

Check this thread out on the baffels! Mine are pretty much identical and now alot more rounder!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...385&highlight=

And this thread has an actuall template so you can print it out and cut it for your own!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=baffels
Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 AM
bzr
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
Originally Posted by bzr

Most likely, what you are thinking of is what www.crutchfield.com terms a "baffle". http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KGX1y7c...fles&i=237XT65
It's a foam surround that goes around the voicecoil/magnet of a speaker, to protect it from the elements. While it's true that those *are* a type of baffle, what most people in car audio profession refer to as a baffle, is the mounting plate of a speaker. For subs, the baffle is the top of the box. For older cars that had 6x9's on the rear desk, it was the rear deck that seperated the 6x9 cone from the trunk.

If you go into any car audio shop of worth, and say that you have a set of 6.5" speakers, and you need a baffle to install them in the factory 5.25" locations, what you'll get is either an adapter plate that looks like http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KGX1y7c...3200&I=142SAT6
or you'll get a piece of mdf board cut into the correct shape to fit the larger speakers, but also allow you to bolt the mdf into the stock speaker mounting tabs/screw holes, etc etc.

It's the thickness of the mdf that allows for the extra mounting depth, as well as the extra circumference of the larger speaker.

Hope that helps.
thanks for the info... i always thought baffles are just the foam....i guess baffles and speaker adapter or bracket are the same......
Old 04-18-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow a ton of great info thanks alot guys. i was just looking at the ed website. and on there it says that their 6000 series components are 100 watts rms. is this true or is that max power? im about 95% sure that it is rms and since its comming straight from their site but u never know, mistakes happen.

Quick Reply: want to get some components but i have a few questions