Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

What is Pioneer Premier sub ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 AM
SL Member

wow...I've never seen a SQ10 in person, but that pic makes me really happy I went with the Pioneers. I'm pushing two of them with an ED NINe.2x only at about 60-70% and it sounds damn fine...especially for taking up NO trunk space.
The box that they're in previously housed two SQ10 subs, but wasn't made by ED.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ED doesn't make a stealth setup that houses 2 10" subs do they?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 PM
SL Member

No... I think they maybe did at one time, but not anymore.
However, I think they'll custom make one for you, but it's gonna be expensive.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 AM
SL Member

I just built a couple dual 10" stealth boxes setup to house the Pioneer subs....

PM if interested

Old 10-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Scikotics

Originally Posted by impackt
I just built a couple dual 10" stealth boxes setup to house the Pioneer subs....

PM if interested

PM sent
Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wooot woot! Just installed the pioneer shallow mount into the e.d stealth box. Its possible! Let me just say this thing ripps! Its so much better than i expected. one 10" is all i needed, not too much or too less. I need a speaker grill though, any suggestions? ill take pics soon!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sweet, some pix would be great, I just ordered this setup. Glad to hear it all fits alright
Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by typerhedlights
wooot woot! Just installed the pioneer shallow mount into the e.d stealth box. Its possible! Let me just say this thing ripps! Its so much better than i expected. one 10" is all i needed, not too much or too less. I need a speaker grill though, any suggestions? ill take pics soon!
I went on eBay and ordered a pair of generic waffle style grills a few days ago. It was like 10 bucks, shipping included.
They should be here in the next couple days. Once I get em, I'll post a pic or two and let you know how they work out.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, before I get flamed, read my whole post. I am new to this forum, and new to my '09 tC, but not new to car audio. I usually do all my own car audio.

I decided to buy the ED SQ10 stealth box due to all the posts on here that people loved them. I have always loved Pioneer, and decided to install the Pioneer shallow sub. I ordered the SQ10 box unloaded, and quickly became extremely disappointed.

Let me also state that this is first-hand experience.

When the enclosure arrived from ED, the shipping box was barely held together. The box was two boxes taped together haphazardly, and a side was broken open. I don't blame FedEx for this, as it was poorly packaged. There were a couple foam blocks around it, but in general the SQ10 was barely protected. One corner was damaged in shipment. Upon further inspection, the box itself is poorly made. While the top is cut to fit my tC (mostly), the bottom is just scraps put together.

The Pioneer sub DOES NOT FIT. In order to make it fit, I had to put it on a table router, and make the holes much bigger (approx 1/2" all the way around). Of course I had to do this for the top hole and the bottom lip too. After doing this, the top lip is bigger than the inside of the box, leaving a space to the outside world. I tacked some wood blocks to cover this, but it looks soso. I also had to reseal the box, as it was pretty poorly made. Used a boat epoxy resin a friend had. To finish it, I covered it with carpet I bought from an audio dealer. It was hard to talk them into selling it, but they finally agreed.

It looks really professional now, but that's after a hell of a lot of work, and took a whole weekend to get it just right. For those wanting the ED SQ10 box, either buy the sub with it, and get a poor quality product, or make your own/have a custom box made. The materials you'd spend are WAY LESS then what you'll spend on the SQ10 box. ($150 without the sub).

Now, before the flaming begins, yes, I do have pictures of the damaged box, its original state, and the final product. I will post them shortly.

Also, please don't ask me to mod your SQ10 box, as I barely had the patience to do my own...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
SL Member

^^^ Gotta love honest and informative reviews.
Anyone who'd flame you for that is dumb.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 PM
SL Member

x2
Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

VS.

Originally Posted by Dade
Ok, before I get flamed, read my whole post. I am new to this forum, and new to my '09 tC, but not new to car audio. I usually do all my own car audio.

I decided to buy the ED SQ10 stealth box due to all the posts on here that people loved them. I have always loved Pioneer, and decided to install the Pioneer shallow sub. I ordered the SQ10 box unloaded, and quickly became extremely disappointed.

Let me also state that this is first-hand experience.

When the enclosure arrived from ED, the shipping box was barely held together. The box was two boxes taped together haphazardly, and a side was broken open. I don't blame FedEx for this, as it was poorly packaged. There were a couple foam blocks around it, but in general the SQ10 was barely protected. One corner was damaged in shipment. Upon further inspection, the box itself is poorly made. While the top is cut to fit my tC (mostly), the bottom is just scraps put together.

The Pioneer sub DOES NOT FIT. In order to make it fit, I had to put it on a table router, and make the holes much bigger (approx 1/2" all the way around). Of course I had to do this for the top hole and the bottom lip too. After doing this, the top lip is bigger than the inside of the box, leaving a space to the outside world. I tacked some wood blocks to cover this, but it looks soso. I also had to reseal the box, as it was pretty poorly made. Used a boat epoxy resin a friend had. To finish it, I covered it with carpet I bought from an audio dealer. It was hard to talk them into selling it, but they finally agreed.

It looks really professional now, but that's after a hell of a lot of work, and took a whole weekend to get it just right. For those wanting the ED SQ10 box, either buy the sub with it, and get a poor quality product, or make your own/have a custom box made. The materials you'd spend are WAY LESS then what you'll spend on the SQ10 box. ($150 without the sub).

Now, before the flaming begins, yes, I do have pictures of the damaged box, its original state, and the final product. I will post them shortly.

Also, please don't ask me to mod your SQ10 box, as I barely had the patience to do my own...

These 2 posts don't really agree with eachother. I'm expecting the ed box to come in tomorrow, followed by the pioneer shallow mount (TS-SW1041D). I was hoping for an easy install and now i'm a bit worried
Old 10-07-2008, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

And here's a thread I looked at before purchasing the sub and box...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...low+mount++box

Not saying your lying or anything Dade, I just want to know the truth. I've always heard great reviews on this box....mind me asking exactly which pioneer shallow mount sub you put in the box?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It doesnt fit and im concerned the E.D stealth box is too small. This thing is massive compared to the sq10. Take a look! An idea of how much has to be cut out of inside diameter:

Can anyone confirm they have successfully fit a pioneer premier into the E.D stealth box? It doesnt look possible to me.
Originally Posted by cavalierkid888
These 2 posts don't really agree with eachother. I'm expecting the ed box to come in tomorrow, followed by the pioneer shallow mount (TS-SW1041D). I was hoping for an easy install and now i'm a bit worried
If I read it right, typerhedlights said that the box had to be retro-fitted, and that it was taken to a pro to do this. The holes were made bigger. I hope my experience with ED was the only bad one, but I assure you; It doesn't fit without modification.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not saying your lying or anything Dade, I just want to know the truth. I've always heard great reviews on this box....mind me asking exactly which pioneer shallow mount sub you put in the box?
I installed a Pioneer TS-SW2541D into my ED SQ10 box, but with great modification and pain. I am going outside to take finished photo's for you to show how it barely fits, but only after cutting the holes in the box bigger.

Also be aware that the only reason I was able to cut it is with a router. A jigsaw is just gonna screw it up. I wish I had posted this data prior to your order shipping. Sorry.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Pix would be great thanks, looks like I got a bit more work cut out for me this weekend then I expected...

Guess I also need to pick up or borrow a router, all I have is a jigsaw
Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I wonder if a pneumatic die grinder would do the job if I took my time...
Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly i could have attempted to do it myself but i knew a guy who works at a bestbuy. I payed him on the side (money to hide from the mrs. if you know what i mean) and he route the hole bigger and i think mounted the sub on a wood ring he cut out the size of the lip. Nailed and sealed it all together. Its air tight and honestly is the best setup for such cheap money. I got the sub for about $90 and the sq10 box for $150. My amp was only 80 bucks refurb off ebay. I listened to some bob marley today for the 1st time and yet again am surprised with this thing. do it! do work!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I tried that, and after going thru 2 batteries for my drill..... I went to my neighbor's and used his router. I then used the grinder to smooth it up.

It's a good setup now, but was a lot of work to make it look right. Honestly for the money and time I spent, I could have made the box myself cheaper, with the same amount of time. I don't see it as a good product, as it is falsely advertised to fit 10" sub's. But that's one guy's opinion.

Resizing pics now.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 AM
SL Member

Since I've never seen the ED box in person, only in not-so-good photos, can anyone answer why the sides are recessed in??
Doesn't that just waste potential airspace for the inside of the box?
Does anyone know the exact airspace of the ED box? Is it .3 cubic feet?

Quick Reply: What is Pioneer Premier sub ? ? ?